41 debut novelists over 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I debuted at over 40, and I've already sent Randy amessage that If she wants to do a followup post of 2010-2011 debuts over 40, I know at least 7 off the top of my head.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I did read the article which I found intriguing, but what really caught my attention was a comment posted underneath.

I blame publishing companies, in part, for promoting some writers into celebrity status for their youth alone. I don't care for whiz kids, teens, 20 or 30-something exalted only because of age.

Since when are writers celebrity status? Apart from JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer no other author is truly a celebrity. And they're not too young themselves either!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I blame publishing companies, in part, for promoting some writers into celebrity status for their youth alone

Doesn't this more often work the other way around? A youthful celeb is promoted into authorship on the coattails of the celebrity? (e.g., most recently, Justin Bieber)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know her age, but George Eliot, most certainly, was a woman.

Yup. Real name the most decidedly feminine Mary Ann Evans, as I recall. Took the masculine pseudonym in order to facilitate getting her novels published. Ditto the Frenchwoman George Sand.

Oddly, I've never been able to figure out exactly why. The Brontes, Jane Austen, Anne Radcliffe and numerous other women were getting their stuff published successfully at the time.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Real name the most decidedly feminine Mary Ann Evans, as I recall. Took the masculine pseudonym in order to facilitate getting her novels published. Ditto the Frenchwoman George Sand.

Oddly, I've never been able to figure out exactly why. The Brontes, Jane Austen, Anne Radcliffe and numerous other women were getting their stuff published successfully at the time.
And then there's Evelyn Waugh, which was his real name.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe it was less about getting published and more about appealing to her target audience, which, I assume, was comprised mainly of mid-to-upperclass males. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of men at the time would have stuck their noses up at reading a book written by a woman. I go to school at Vassar, founded as one of the first institutions for higher education for women in this country, in 1861 I believe, and you'd be surprised at some of the superstitions harbored by even the "enlightened" men who helped bring the college into existence. IE, corridors built with jogging in mind, to prevent all the education from going to the girls' heads, for a number of years I think women weren't allowed to get a degree in either philosophy or religion, because it was considered heavy much for them, etc...

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Since when are writers celebrity status? Apart from JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer no other author is truly a celebrity. And they're not too young themselves either!

Maybe younger authors aren't catapulted in the same way as those two into the public consciousness, but the young and up and coming are definitely are held with very high esteem in the publishing industry.

And both Meyer and Rowling were under 40 when they debuted.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me for asking:

Who cares what age the author is? Is the book good is the question.

Readers certainly don't care. To bring up a well-used example, Louis de Bernières didn't sell a million copies of Captain Corelli's Mandolin because of his youthful good looks.

I suspect this is less of an issue with genre fiction than with general fiction, but there certainly has been much discussion in said circles about this. If you are under thirty and good-looking (especially if female - males can get away with being "Interesting") then it gives the publisher something to promote as you don't necessarily have a built-in genre readership. But in the end, the books still has to be good, and that's where word of mouth comes in.

I can't remember his name (probably just as well), but I remember one author (male) who was included in one of those "hot young writer" features - for which read he was in his 20s and the dead spit of Hugh Grant, and he had a novel coming out. I didn't read that particular novel, so it might have been good, bad or indifferent, but it still sank without trace. Sad to say, when that happens it's probably goodbye to that novelist's career, at least under that name.

I'm 46 next month, and I'm currently writing YA novels. I do feel encouraged that at least three children's/YA novelists I greatly admire (David Almond, Meg Rosoff and the late Siobhan Dowd) were older than I am now when their first MG/YA novels were published. I can only aspire to be as good as them.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe younger authors aren't catapulted in the same way as those two into the public consciousness, but the young and up and coming are definitely are held with very high esteem in the publishing industry.

And both Meyer and Rowling were under 40 when they debuted.

Very high esteem because they can be easily marketed? As long as the book is good, I don't care too much about the age of the author.

However, if the book is good and the author is under, let's say, 25, then I will have a certain bias towards purchasing his upcoming books because he proved himself from a very early age.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Henry Miller's first book was "Tropic of Cancer."

Its nice to see some author's names I recognized on there, like Michener and Chandler. I was starting to think I was too old to make it now and was ready to throw in the towel.
Since when are writers celebrity status?

Since Homer?

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I don't know her age, but George Eliot, most certainly, was a woman.
Exactly. The article said, if I recall, "George Eliot was 50 when he published Adam Bede." In fact, she was 40. Still belongs on the list, though.

I'm still hoping to at least crack a professional short story market before hitting 50. I've still got two months (less two days).

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I did read the article which I found intriguing, but what really caught my attention was a comment posted underneath.

I don't even think they are celebrities.. we don't ever see paparazzi photos of them getting groceries and stuff that usual celebrities are subjected to.

That's one huge plus to being a writer.. you get to stay out of the spotlight for the most part.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. The article said, if I recall, "George Eliot was 50 when he published Adam Bede." In fact, she was 40.

Which says to me that the writer of the article is pretty much filled with shite, and consequently I have little interest in reading it. The fact that George Eliot was a woman is not exactly a deep secret.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Which says to me that the writer of the article is pretty much filled with shite, and consequently I have little interest in reading it. The fact that George Eliot was a woman is not exactly a deep secret.

Uh, so a list of successful authors over the age of 40 is somehow rendered BS by that error? How so? Are you saying that therefore all ages and genders of all the authors listed are wrong? That there aren't successful authors over 40? (the fact that I know several of them in person, and do indeed know that they are over 40 and successful authors makes me pretty sure the entire list can't be wrong . . .) And why exactly do you want to use of one error as proof that the article "shite"? Isn't it a good thing that older authors get a chance just as much as younger ones do?

It's not really an article so much as a series of pictures of book covers, and I think it's refreshing to see older authors celebrated, even if a couple mistakes were made in the making of the list.

Last edited:

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I debuted at over 40, and I've already sent Randy amessage that If she wants to do a followup post of 2010-2011 debuts over 40, I know at least 7 off the top of my head.

I debuted at 40 too.

(Though the review quoted in my sig calls me, presumably because I'm a debut, a "young author.")

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. The article said, if I recall, "George Eliot was 50 when he published Adam Bede." In fact, she was 40. Still belongs on the list, though.

I'm still hoping to at least crack a professional short story market before hitting 50. I've still got two months (less two days).
Interesting. When I read it now (and when I read it, what, yesterday), it said: She was 50 when "Adam Bede" was published.

Status
Not open for further replies.