PDA

View Full Version : When an agents asks to read your full manuscript?

EnnaEnoch
09-11-2010, 05:33 AM
An agent asked for me to send my full manuscript through the mail without even reading a partial. A few days later I receive and email back stating that the agent is passing based on it because they did " not really connect to the narrative flow".

Now I'm not sure if this is the norm, but I thought by sending a full manuscript, through the mail because the agent asked, and by me paying out of my own pocket, I would expect a more constructive reason why than just a small sentence.

Am I off base, of this is what agents so even when they read your full manuscript?

C.bronco
09-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Depends on the agent. If the agent asked for a full, then you did okay on your cover letter and synopsis! That's a big move forward! (We all cheer for things like that here!)

EnnaEnoch
09-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Depends on the agent. If the agent asked for a full, then you did okay on your cover letter and synopsis! That's a big move forward! (We all cheer for things like that here!)

Two other agents have the full... so here's hoping...

thothguard51
09-11-2010, 05:40 AM
The agents or editors we submit to do not owe us anything...period.

Oh, we wish it were otherwise, but sadly, the answer is no.

Mailing manuscript, queries, and so forth is part of the business and does not mean the agent owes us anything. Some do not even respond, as is their right.

augusto
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Year and a half ago I got a full request from a highly regarded agent off just a query. $40 in printing/postage and confirmation that they received it. I've nudge three times but have never heard a word. So it goes...

waylander
09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I received the full spectrum of responses to my full manuscript from a couple of pages of details comments to a scruffy off-centre photocopied form rejection.

RainbowDragon
09-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Just because they request a full does not mean they read the whole thing before deciding to pass. :)