question to those who speak Chinese

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, was hoping someone here can help me out. I want to put a phonetically spelled chinese word in my ms, but I don't seem to be able to apply to proper accents to the word. The phonetically spelled word (which I got from a translating website) says the word is "baichi." But there should be a slanted accent over the "a" and a straight line over the "i". I tried to changed my tools/language setting to chinese (and I tried it in the Chinese (prc) and in the Chinese (Taiwan) and when I try add the accent (using the option button on MAC), I get a small circle symbol over the "a" and one of these, ^ over the second i.

So, I guess my issue actually deals with how to remedy this situation so it shows up properly on my computer screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mel

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
oops, okay. solved my own problem in the cheating way. I just copied and pasted the word and then changed the font, style, and color and it looks fine. Still would be interested if there is a way to do that for future reference since I like to use words from other languages in my works.

Billingsgate

Disappointment to my mother
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.humorist.net
You don't need the language set to Chinese to use those pinyin symbols. Those aren't Chinese fonts. They're Roman letters, no different than accented letters in Spanish, French, German, etc. There are keyboard shortcuts for many, if you're using an English OS and keyboard. Or, if you're using Microsoft Word or Open Office, go to the Insert menu and use "Insert Symbol".

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
Easiest way to get the tone marks for your pinyin would be to type it into the online translation dictionary at www.nciku.com and then copy and paste into your manuscript. There are other ways to type it yourself, but this is just easier.