PDA

View Full Version : Question about pot

LBlankenship
09-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Sorry if this seems dumb, but I've got zero experience with illicit substances...

Would it be reasonable for two people to doze off in the middle of a joint? Or would that be bizarre and unusual?

These are just some background characters watching a movie on TV in a semi-public environment. Just the two of them. If you knew nothing else about them, would it seem odd?

Julie Worth
09-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Erowid (http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_effects.shtml) is one of the best sources of illicit drug information. As for your question, this wouldn't be odd if they were already dead tired. Ask yourself: Would two people doze off sharing a beer? If that seems odd, then so would the joint.

shadowwalker
09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I tried it on three different occasions (years ago) and each time, I fell asleep within minutes (once standing up), and when I woke up, was horribly sick. One has to wonder why I tried it again after the first time - and I had to be an idiot after the second... :crazy:

jennontheisland
09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
If they're regular users, or even casual users, it would seem odd to me.

I've never dozed off while smoking. Even after smoking a hell of a lot. I don't know anyone who ever has. But then, most of the smokers I knew were regular users.

LBlankenship
09-09-2010, 11:18 PM
>Erowid (http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_effects.shtml) is one of the best sources of illicit drug information.

Bookmarking -- thanks!

CheyElizabeth
09-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I have dozed off while smoking.

But I tend to doze off during all sorts of things.

I'd say if your character is smoking specifically to get high, then they probably wouldn't - they'd want to be around to experience the high. If it's an every-day-after-work type of thing, then sure, why not.

Maryn
09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Julie's analogy totally works. I never dozed off smoking, but then, I've never dozed off sharing a beer, either.

My experience is old but fairly extensive. Generally, the interesting things one's mind is doing while stoned were enough to make me wakeful and the mundane fascinating. Inane sitcoms became hilarious, 1960s cartoons epic tales, the subtext of everything deep. No way I'm going to fall asleep and miss that.

If I was that tired, I'd nap first and smoke later. No sense wasting my weed if I might sleep through the high.

Maryn, past the statute of limitations and then some

LBlankenship
09-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm thinking I will replace the joints with a half-dozen empty beers. That works too.

spike
09-10-2010, 12:57 AM
I've fallen asleep while getting high. Many times. Particularly if I was bored.

Kenra Daniels
09-10-2010, 02:44 AM
I have a friend who smokes pretty heavily, and toward the end of the day, after work, he dozes off regularly while smoking. Especially while watching movies. I don't think he's watched a complete movie since I've known him. He always falls asleep halfway through, both the joint and the movie. If it makes a difference, he smokes several joints daily, all through the day, and the dozing happens after he's home and settled in for the evening.

Giant Baby
09-10-2010, 04:37 AM
GB: Honey, if a couple of guys are smoking a joint, and they both doze off in the middle, would that be weird?
DH: Not entirely. It'd probably happen during the hand off, if they were both already fading. It's a damn waste of weed, though. WTH?
GB: Just asking. As you were.
DH: Uh huh.

kuwisdelu
09-10-2010, 05:41 AM
If I was that tired, I'd nap first and smoke later. No sense wasting my weed if I might sleep through the high.

This.

I've never dozed off in such a situation either, but I'm sure there are people who do. It would seem weird to me if it came out of nowhere, but if the character's the kind of person who happens to doze off during other things (like drinking a beer) then I'd believe it. I would believe it more if it wasn't the first joint, too.

JimmyB27
09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
There was a guy who worked at a hostel I stayed in when I was in Australia. He lived in a caravan on site. He nearly burnt his caravan down as a result of falling asleep while smoking. I missed it on account of being asleep myself, but he apparently woke up just in time to find only his mattress on fire, and managed to drag it outside before the rest of the place went up.