• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Adventure Books of Seattle

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Books are priced right. They give proper discount to retailers (55%). No national distribution partner indicated, but given their location and company name, I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on the seattle market and even manage to get their titles in stores in Seattle (in house distribution perhaps).

There's no "look inside" feature on their amazon listings so I can't see the quality of book design or editing. The covers leave a bit to be desired but I've seen a lot worse. Amazon numbers are pretty bad but that's not always the best indicator of sales.

Is there a fee for the contest? Is publication the prize? if you win do you have to publish with them? I'd be interested in knowing more about their sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The covers are terrible.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cover art is always something that sticks out to me...

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The winner will be offered our standard contract, (25% royalty on the gross sales in paperback, 50% for the Kindle Edition) full editing and cover creation services, ISBN assignment, and your book will be released into the wholesale distribution channels, and made available at retail at Amazon and other online outlets

Better than average contract terms for a POD operation and they're not being deceptive about distribution. They seem like an honest POD company. If you've finished trying to get an agent, and struck out with the top publishers for your mss. and now want to consider POD, do remember that there is still a pecking order. Some POD publishers do well by their authors, most don't. I don't know if I'd say these guys are at the top of the list but at least they're not at the bottom.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
I odn't like the covers... but then again I lean toward art and am a graphic web designer so possible if I have no chances we could come to a negotiation...:) I don't know but I am trying to keep all channels open!

robertmblevins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.escapevelocitymagazine.com
Updates on AB of Seattle

Hi, I know the posts about Adventure Books are kind of old, and the Young Writers' Project is closed, but I thought I should update our information.

First, we did select a winning author. It was Katie Onus from Florida and her book (paperback and Kindle) was 'Island of the Wolves'.

I guess you could call us POD if you want, but we do go through Lightning Source and this enables us to offer up at the wholesale trade rate. We are a registered US trade publisher via Ingram and Bowkers.

We've gotten better on the covers. Some are changed, and the one for Escape Velocity - The Anthology is absolutely beautiful. Back in the day, yes...our covers were not the best.

Submissions are currently CLOSED. It's invitation-only. We're a small press and everyone here has regular jobs. So we only do maybe two or three new titles a year, although we can be open-minded if authors only want to be released via the Kindle.

If you have any questions, you can contact me or check our listing at Manta. Have a great day!

Robert Blevins - Managing Editor

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Bumping this up. Not impressed with the site, having to hunt for the books is a little weird.

But they offer rewriting as part of their "editorial services" and that's not editing. I believe that's known as ghostwriting.

AB of Seattle offers several levels of editing, from simple proofreading, to complete rewrites of your book.

This was under "pro editing services" in the More category on the dropdown menu.

(Here is the direct link.)

Note that Adventure Books of Seattle is recommended on P-E -- as a publisher. I suspect that was before the ghostwriting/rewriting came up.

That same page lists "book packaging"; from AW and elsewhere, what they list for that is not book packaging. It may be a book package offer -- that makes more sense -- but that's not equivalent to packaging.

I'm sorry... between what folks said on this thread and P-E's entry, I'd gotten my hopes up for this publisher.