PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should See This Movie

Nightfly
09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Share a favorite movie with the rest of us and tell us what makes it worth watching.
All Genres, All Decades

Ideally this will be a thread to Discover new films or to Revisit films with perhaps a new appreciation - (do you think a certain actor or performance or film is underrated or overlooked?).

Okay - RULES

1. Tell us Something (or everything)that you loved about it -
* Great Story or Great writing
* Powerful acting
* Beautifully shot (cinematography) or costumes
* One Great scene
* Music or soundtrack
* Whatever

2. Be thoughtful. (Make your case with 3 words or a 3 page essay but say something meaningful - (Not "That werewolf guy is so hot" for example)

3. One movie per post. (You can do more if you must but, personally I get overwhelmed and often glance over posts that try to give me too much. Just post again later.)

Nightfly
09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I'll start then shall I.

The Wild Bunch

One of the absolute greatest, standout Westerns.

The cinematography and art direction are amazing.

It is smart and honest and unique.

Great, often subdued acting by a legitimately legendary cast.

It resembles The Magnificent Seven in some ways but realer, grittier, and less romantic. These feel more like real Guys then archetypes.

Shadow_Ferret
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Huh. All this time I thought, for whatever reason, that "The Wild Bunch" was a biker movie. Thanks. Now I'll go rent it.

childeroland
09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Spirited Away.

It is the best animated film I have ever seen. It is blessed with a wealth of critical possibilities, being as imaginative as The Wizard of Oz. Indeed, along with Wizard of Oz it may be the best fantasy feature film, live-action or animated, ever made (though I continue to love The NeverEnding Story above all other fantasy films). Without preaching, it features a universal moral about learning to honor one's family by valuing oneself. As usual with Miyazaki its take on Japanese mythology is original and fascinating. The animation is gorgeous. The story is an archetype of the child's liminal journey, along with such works as Carroll's Alice books. It manages all this while discussing modern generational conflicts in Japanese society, the pull between tradition and an increasingly globalized society, and the environment.

SirOtter
09-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Huh. All this time I thought, for whatever reason, that "The Wild Bunch" was a biker movie. Thanks. Now I'll go rent it.

That would be The Wild One. ;)

Nightfly
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Spirited Away.

It is the best animated film I have ever seen. It is blessed with a wealth of critical possibilities, being as imaginative as The Wizard of Oz. Indeed, along with Wizard of Oz it may be the best fantasy feature film, live-action or animated, ever made (though I continue to love The NeverEnding Story above all other fantasy films). Without preaching, it features a universal moral about learning to honor one's family by valuing oneself. As usual with Miyazaki its take on Japanese mythology is original and fascinating. The animation is gorgeous. The story is an archetype of the child's liminal journey, along with such works as Carroll's Alice books. It manages all this while discussing modern generational conflicts in Japanese society, the pull between tradition and an increasingly globalized society, and the environment.

Thanks so much for the context - exactly what I hoped for. Spirited Away goes to the top of my Netflix queue. I saw The NeverEnding Story when I was a kid. I didn't like it much but I had some friends who loved it. Think I'll give that another try too.

Cyia
09-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Since childeroland already tagged my favorite animated film (aside from the weird soft spot I have for Disney's animated Robin Hood), I'll go with

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

Some of the most quotable dialogue ever written is in this movie, bar none. (Hello, I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father... prepare to die.)

Rob Reiner's the director, so that's a plus.

The sets, for the most part, are almost comically cheesy, which only makes it better. (R.O.U.S.es!) The human costumes are beautifully done.

The cast is spot on perfect in their chemistry and timing. (Only CLUE comes close to that kind of comedy perfection with an ensemble cast.)

I have no idea how many times I've seen that movie, but I went through VHS tapes, multiple DVD's, and still watch it when it comes on TV.

The best scene, IMO, is Miracle Max's Hovel with Billy Crystal and Carol Cane.

AND...

Considering all of the other movies that the Shrek franchise managed to cannibalize for character fodder, I'm still amazed that this wasn't one of them given that Inigo was a Spanish swordsman and so was Puss in Boots. I was actually looking forward to a side story about Puss seeking out the six fingered man who killed his father or some such because I thought it was such an obvious parallel... haven't quite gotten over the fact that it wasn't even alluded to.

C.bronco
09-11-2010, 06:48 AM
The Edge, with Anthony Hopkins. It is highly philosophical, and for anyone who has been told that "book smarts don't help in real life," it is edifying.

The Ghost and the Darkness, Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer, because it is just plain awesome.

SirOtter
09-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Nights of Cabiria, Fellini's 1957 Best Foreign Picture Oscar winner. Giulietta Masina plays a prostitute wandering about Rome, looking for true love and finding only heartbreak. Her transition from cynicism to hope and on to despair is masterfully portrayed and perfectly paced. Masina may well be the best actress of the 20th Century. I can't think of an American who could have pulled it off so well.

GeorgeK
09-12-2010, 04:02 AM
THE PRINCESS BRIDE

You beat me to it. I especially liked how appropriately the characters interacted. They were believable but not blatantly predictable. My favorite part was the six fingered man's reaction when Inigo finally caught up to him. Perfect!

TrickyFiction
09-12-2010, 04:22 AM
THE FALL.

Visually stunning. Just watch the trailer for it and you'll see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeAyIQ_OT_I

The story is the most gorgeous demonstration I've ever seen of the relationship between a story-teller and his audience.

The child actor will win your heart. Lee Pace gives an amazing performance, and also draws the child's performance from her. He was brilliant.

This film is the director's masterpiece. It's also worth it to see the special features. What the crew and actors went through to make the film is amazing.

Don Allen
09-12-2010, 04:29 AM
This reminds me a bit of the cliche, "if you were on a deserted island and could choose one movie" (yes I'm aware that electricity on a deserted island would be an issue)

Anyways, John Waynes, "Eldorado" is not the best movie every made, it is not the best acted, nor is it particularly meaningful, but it reminds me of what a MAN, a real man is suppose to be. (Offense to women not intended).

For me, Eldorado defines "doing the right thing" A man challenged to help a friend down on his luck while making amends for killing a young man in a situation that shouldn't have happened.

The Duke is the hero, while Robert Mitchum plays the Dean Martin, (remake of Rio Bravo) drunk to perfection. James Caan gets his first major role and doesn't get blown off the screen by Wayne.

It's predictable, yet satisfying. It's comfortable like an old friend with some memorable lines and a sense of humor that will make you laugh to yourself. But more than anything else, it reminds us that some men can't be bought, can't be paid off, and can't be compromised. It's a refreshing reflection of what real men should be like in an era that is unfortunately long gone.

ElizaFaith13
09-12-2010, 05:16 AM
The Book of ELi

one of Denzel Washington's best roles
The post apocalyptic setting is dark, but not filled with blood splatter
A man driven on an insane quest, that makes no sense, but it's the path of a righteous man.
The ending will blow you away, AND leave you feeling satisfied.

sailor
09-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Let the Right One In

Swedish with english sub-titles

It was recommended by an AW member and I had an opportunity today to watch it. It's a horror movie, a vampire movie, a coming of age story, a love story.

Two 12 year olds meet. Both are lonely and a friendship develops. He is bullied at school and she helps him stand up for himself. She only appears at night. There is a serial killer on the loose. And it's winter. As the film unfolds you learn she is a vampire and her guardian/father kills for her. When he dies she now has to fend for herself. The ending is logical but you have to think about it to get the true horror.

The pace of the film is measured. Things are revealed slowly. The two lead actors are absolutely wonderful. They hold your attention throughout and you can feel their pain and longing. The cinematography is excellent. It is unlike any of the vampire movies or shows that have come out recently. No dripping fangs or shapeshifting. There is talk of a hollywood remake according to Imdb. See the original before hollywood screws it up. I recommend it highly.

Mr Flibble
09-12-2010, 05:52 AM
1. Tell us Something (or everything)that you loved about it -
* Great Story or Great writing
* Powerful acting
* Beautifully shot (cinematography) or costumes
* One Great scene
* Music or soundtrack
* Whatever

1- it's a story about a guy who feels the only way to do anything - feed his wife and kids atc - is to agree to star in a snuff move

During the time he had left, he re-connects with those he loves. Basically he learns to live while he's waiting to die

The Brave, ( the book and the film are so devastating to me. Do not watch/read if you want a happy ending...)

Nightfly
09-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Running Scared (1986) I think is seriously underrated.

I say that only because aside from my brother and I no one seems to have heard of it. It's a buddy movie with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. They're veteran Chicago cops who decide they want to retire and move to Florida to open a bar but first they have to (of course) train their replacements. The 80s had a couple of good buddy movie teams - Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte in ONLY the original 48hrs and Mel Gibson and Danny Glover in maybe the first two Lethal Weapon movies.

Crystal and Hines don't have the weight of the other guys but they have surprisingly enough to pull it off. And their confidence, their comic ability, their chemistry and their likability pulls you in. And this just has a funnier script - with quicker comic timing. It takes place mostly in Chicago in winter and there is something about winter movies - especially in the city- that I love.

Is it up there with Princess Bride, Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, etc.? Well maybe not - then again I say that because I know it's not as universally beloved as the others but for me it is up there. It has some great scenes and quotable lines, it's funny as hell and like the others I can watch it over and over. (Also, it has a young Jimmy Smits playing the bad guy and Joe Pantoliano is perfect as the dirtbag criminal Snake.)

If you haven't seen it it's great for a rainy or snowy day when you're stuck inside. (man I miss rainy and snowy days.) One line from their captain (played by the great Dan Hedaya) when they tell him they're looking for a new career path.

"Show me another career they let you shoot people."

SirOtter
09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Running Scared (1986) I think is seriously underrated.

I agree. Haven't seen it in years, but I remember it fondly.

Nightfly
09-12-2010, 10:36 AM
THE FALL.

Wow that looks incredible.

Sarpedon
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Dark City

A seriously underrated and under-seen science fiction movie. Fast forward through the initial unnecessary and stupid voice-over introduction, which I suspect was added at the insistence of studio overlords who constantly underrate the intelligence of viewers.

Beautifully set, well acted, and has a fascinating concept wonderful visuals. A real sci-fi movie, in that its more about concept than action, but doesn't neglect the action.

Mishima

An absolutely fascinating and well done picture about an extremely fascinating and strange man. And should be thouroughly interesting to a big group of writers, as it is about the most famous author that post war Japan has produced, and his bizarre end. Not many people seem to know the story, even though it is one of the strangest tales to come out of a country that is well known for strange tales. And this is a strange tale that the Japanese don't particularly like telling, seeing as they've banned this film.

Beyond that, the set design is stunning, the photography is wonderful, and the soundtrack is most excellent.

TrickyFiction
09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow that looks incredible.

It won't disappoint you.

GeorgeK
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
"Dr. Strangelove", or "How I Learned to Love the Bomb" with Peter Sellers in a variety of dramatic roles (not a comedy). If you want something to pull at your emotions and sensibilities, this is a powerful movie. As a young republican growing up in the Cold War, I was surprised that this movie made me start to root for the Soviet characters.

Lyra Jean
09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
The Dark Crystal - It's a rather creepy, serious movie made with puppets. With puppets. I watched it as a child with fascination. After seeing it again as an adult I thought what the hell were my parents thinking letting me watch this. It has a graphic depiction of some of the innocent characters souls getting sucked out of their bodies. As graphic as you can get with puppets. Again very creepy and that's not the only scene that is.

Nightfly
09-14-2010, 01:15 AM
"Dr. Strangelove", or "How I Learned to Love the Bomb" with Peter Sellers in a variety of dramatic roles (not a comedy). If you want something to pull at your emotions and sensibilities, this is a powerful movie. As a young republican growing up in the Cold War, I was surprised that this movie made me start to root for the Soviet characters.

George, I think you should see it again. (I'm not being facetious.) It is not at all light-hearted - it can be terrifying (or certainly could be during the cold war) but, it is absolutely a satire and a comedy. (and arguably the best ever made)

Cyia
09-14-2010, 04:14 AM
George, I think you should see it again. (I'm not being facetious.) It is not at all light-hearted - it can be terrifying but, it is absolutely a satire and a comedy. (and arguably the best ever made)

Definitely comedy.

It has one of the iconic images (Slim Pickins riding the atomic bomb like a cowboy on a bull)

and one of the all time greatest lines (Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!)

OF ALL TIME.

SirOtter
09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Dark City

A seriously underrated and under-seen science fiction movie.

Definitely. What The Matrix could have been, had it been blessed with an intelligent script.

Cyia
09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Has anyone here seen The Spanish Prisoner?

When this was first released, I heard the strangest review on the radio. The DJ (who rarely backs movies on air) said he'd been told to see this film. For the first hour and a half or so he HATED it to the point he wanted to walk out, but once the last fifteen to twenty minutes (or whatever it was) came along he was riveted, and by the end he thought it was one of the best movies he'd ever seen.

I rented the DVD and had THE EXACT SAME REACTION.

For the whole "set-up" (this is a "long-con" movie), I wanted to hurl things through the screen, but I was going on the assumption that this person knew what they were talking about. It was totally asinine in places with horrid dialogue I had to slog through, but when the pay off hit... it was without a doubt one of the best executed endings I've ever seen. And every stinking second of horrible seeming drivel was necessary for the end of the film to make sense.

Nightfly
09-16-2010, 08:06 AM
You know, I saw The Spanish Prisoner years ago and I know I liked but can't say I remember it that well now or if I felt that frustration - I may have been drinking or something. :e2shrug: But it's a great cast and it's Mamet and I had already seen Mamets House of Games (another con movie) so I think I trusted it would be worthwhile. (I'm sort of guessing here.) But, I'm glad you brought it up - makes me want to see it again.

Nightfly
09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I picked up movie in line at a 7-11 the other day. I had never heard of it and the only reason I got it was because it starred Ed Norton and it was only $2.99. It's called Down in the Valley - anybody seen it? It's a small movie -nothing Hollywood about it except a solid cast - Supporting is David Morse (who is in everything) and Bruce Dern. But the power of this movie is in the script and the performances by Norton and Evan Rachel Wood. It is real and tragic and it is challenging and I can't remember the last time I felt so much for the characters in a film. This is kind of what I expected we would see more of when Indies started taking off. I really hope people see this.

GeorgeK
09-19-2010, 07:11 PM
... terrifying ... satire and a comedy. (and arguably the best ever made)

That's the thing, it's all of those, because yes, our "leaders" often are that stupid, and our heroes can be that brave. It's hilarious for those with absolute faith in the government and bone chillingly freightening for those with none. For me it was a mix with a slight favor toward the latter. (It's got to be Slim's greatest role by far. It's worth watching just to see that he could have been a A-list actor if chances had favored him more.) It's one of the few movies that for me anyway really touches emotions. There are dramatic pauses even that probably would be lost if watched on TV with commercial breaks. It's definitely one to rent and see uncut.