Research study - [edit: study is now closed. Thanks all!]

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My office is trying to wrap up a research study (the Preschool Language Scale - Fifth Edition) on a tight deadline, within 2 weeks. They've asked us to see if we can tap any "friend of a friend"-type resources to fill some critical holes in our sample. So I'm asking my friends at AW - do you know anyone who qualifies? :)

The major need is for children 6-8 months old whose mothers have a high school diploma/GED or less. We may have spots for children in other age groups; I can check on availability if anyone's interested.

We're located in San Antonio, TX, so we can test anyone in this general area either at our office or at the participant's home or daycare. We can probably test children in other US locations (depending on field examiner availability - the test is administered by a speech-language pathologist or similar professional).

Participants will earn $40 for a ~1 hour testing session. There is also a $15 Walmart gift card for referring a participant.

The contact person for this project is John Ramirez, 210-339-8260 or toll-free 1-800-233-5686 extension 8206.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do you want my child to participate?
The purpose of this study is to “test the test.” Based on the results of the study, we will create the final version of the test. Tests are administered to children with different backgrounds in the United States. All information is kept strictly confidential.

What will my child be asked to do?
Each child will be asked to perform different activities such as reading sentences, describing pictures, and following simple directions. [For the 6-8 month age range, the test consists mostly of playing with the child, observing, and asking the caregiver some questions.] A caregiver must be present during testing.

Will I get the test results?
No, we will be unable to give you an individual score. We use the information we obtain from all children tested to select items for the final version of the test.

Are you going to pay my child?
Yes. We will send a $40 check to your child 4–6 weeks after we have received the test. You will also receive a $15 Wal-Mart gift card if you refer a study participant who meets the demographic criteria above.

Does this have anything to do with immigration?
No. We are not going to report any information to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or to any other agency.

I can answer questions, or John Ramirez can, at the phone number above. If you are interested, or know anyone who might be, please let us know!

Many thanks,
Annie

(also thanks to SilverKing for approving my post here. :) )

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
(Annie absolutely has permission to post this here, btw - just in case anyone was fretting. :) )

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mac! :)

I know it's a bit of an odd request. But it is a good opportunity for families to make a bit of cash, and at the same time help other kids down the line (by making the test norms as representative as possible of the whole population.)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:)

When I got to this part
"Each child will be asked to perform different activities such as reading sentences, describing pictures, and following simple directions..."

before I hit your brackets, I was thinking, Man, they sound like the folks I've nannied for :ROFL:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
:) Yeah, I tripped over that line as well. The full age range for this test goes up to 7 years 6 months, but the younger ages are where we're having the most trouble finding participants. (6-8 months is the most critical spot.)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
(bumping again)

Last edited: