PDA

View Full Version : Are We Ready for some football?

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Unsure if this thread has been started before, but as the title says,

"Are we ready for some football?"

Open for discussion, loves, hates, don't cares. Let's talk some football.

I go first...Life long Washington Redskin Fan - win lose, or draw. I have other teams I route for as well, but the Skin's are my team since Lombardi came to coach them.

This year, I see 10-6, which will be a big improvement from last year, but not sure if it will be enough for the NFC East or a wild card spot. Would love to see the boys stick it to Dallas this Sunday at Dallas in their new stadium.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:13 AM
are there really 66 players on a team?

I heard that and it kinda sounds like a lot to me.

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 06:16 AM
are there really 66 players on a team?

I heard that and it kinda sounds like a lot to me.

53 Active players and 8 players on the practice squad.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:18 AM
no way! get out!

what? really?

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Yeah, they had to cut it down to 53 last weekend.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
uh-uh.... you're messin with me!

I'm asking google....he'll clear this up.

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:20 AM
What?

We're talking about the pros.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
it's different in the pros?
I mean, there's only so many positions, right?

I just don't see the need for that many people. With all the trading they do how do they even keep track of who's on their team? Aside from the jerseys, I mean. I guess because they're always crashing into each other they get hurt and have to sit out, huh?

So I guess to answer the OPs question, No...I am completely NOT ready for some football. :)

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:31 AM
I guess because they're always crashing into each other they get hurt and have to sit out, huh?
Yeah, if they would stop crashing into one another they probably wouldn't need so many. ;-)

Don't forget there are special teams for special functions like kicking field goals. These are the people you never hear of except when they screw up. ;-)

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Yes, but lots of injuries, so they need back ups.

If they go to an 18 game schedule, the Players association will demand an increase in roster size, and minimum pay scale, which they will deserve. I don't see how this is going to help the NFL when many stadiums can't sell out a 16 game schedule as is. I think the 18 game schedule will also cut short the career of many football players as it increases the risk of injury.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:33 AM
thank you guys :)

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
If they go to an 18 game schedule, the Players association will demand an increase in roster size, and minimum pay scale, which they will deserve. I don't see how this is going to help the NFL when many stadiums can't sell out a 16 game schedule as is. I think the 18 game schedule will also cut short the career of many football players as it increases the risk of injury.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Yes, the TV contracts will be worth more than if they can fill a stadiums or not...

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Bastards!

right?

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Here, since there isn't quite enough football news just yet, they've been egging on the rumors that Albert Haynesworth might be coming back to the Titans. It doesn't matter how serious such a deal is, it's an easy news story.

Cella
09-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I went to school in 6th grade with the son of a pro football player. He had a strange name though, so I don't remember what it was.

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Here, since there isn't quite enough football news just yet, they've been egging on the rumors that Albert Haynesworth might be coming back to the Titans. It doesn't matter how serious such a deal is, it's an easy news story.

Nope, Shannahan said fat boy is going to stay and play...

alleycat
09-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Nope, Shannahon said fat boy is going to stay and play...
Fat boy is right.

Soccer Mom
09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
This year, I see 10-6, which will be a big improvement from last year, but not sure if it will be enough for the NFC East or a wild card spot. Would love to see the boys stick it to Dallas this Sunday at Dallas in their new stadium.

A Deadskins fan? Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong!

Soccer Mom, Deep in the Heart of Texas

GO COWBOYS!

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the thread...(grits teeth.)

alleycat
09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Nope, Shannahan said fat boy is going to stay and play...
Never trust whatever an NFL coach says.

But, I don't think Haynesworth is going back to the Titans either. I just meant it was an easy story for the sportswriters to do. It causes a lot of talk.

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Never trust whatever an NFL coach says.

But, I don't think Haynesworth is going back to the Titans either. I just meant it was an easy story for the sportswriters to do. It causes a lot of talk.

Well in this case, since the Skins play the Titans this year, I don't think Shanny wants to give them a weapon that might come back to haunt him. And lets face, Fat Albert would have motivation to play his best game...ever. lol.

thothguard51
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Anyway...Saints vs Vikings tonight. Should be interesting start to the season.

askcb
09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
GO COWBOYS!

I second that Soccer Mom!

Soccer Mom
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I second that Soccer Mom!

Woo hoo!

The Lonely One
09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
It's strange to some, but I really have 0 interest in the NFL. I'm not under some false assumption that college is about "spirit" and not about $$$, while NFL is the capitalist devil. Still, the teams, the way the game is played in pro, the "big names," none of it interests me.

I guess 'cuz I grew up in a part of Florida halfway between Miami and Tampa (about 2 hours away from either). I hate the bucs and am only mildly interested in the Dolphins because of Chad Henne (U of M fan).

I get a surprising amount of hate because of my college ball preference. One friend who likes the Pats insisted that college ball was sloppy and unprofessional while the NFL was amazing and "real" football, and I had to remind him that Tom Brady played for Michigan before he was the apple pie American bastard child of pro football. Another friend insisted I "get a team." I was like, I have two; USF and the wolvies.

Nothing against pro ball. I just wonder what's the overwhelming preference/influence?

Jcomp
09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
In my experience, people who prefer college football favor the pageantry and variety that's unique to the college game.

College fans do tend to be more properly spirited in the stadium than pro fans. There's nothing like a packed house at a college game, football or basketball. The college games let the energy of the fans dominate the stadium, instead of pumped in pop music, arena announcers leading chants and everything but an "applause" sign displaying on the big screen like in the pros. You get unique stuff like the Texas Aggie sway and you see how the fans seem to bond a bit better in college.

The college game also has more a wider array of play styles and more interesting match-ups at times. Spread offense vs. Triple Option, things like that. Some college teams run a "pro style" offense while in the pros, obviously, everyone runs a "pro style" offense, so there's not much in the way of style contrast to provide entertainment.

On the other side of things, the pro game tends to be a bit more consistent. They are the best of the best after all, and while a lot of college games can be entertaining, there's also a bit more sloppiness involved. Va Tech vs. Boise State was a fun watch, but I thought the lower scoring pro game from last night was more well played. To me, a big play in the pros is more exciting than in college, because it happens way more often in college. Guys blow more coverages, miss more tackles and get roasted by speedsters more in college. It creates a better tension. It's like the difference between a Michael Bay flick vs. a Bourne movie. Sure explosions are cool, but I'd rather see one or two really exciting, unexpected and well-timed explosions than twelve of them randomly thrown at the screen.

I tend to favor the pro game, but the college game is right behind it.

Oh, and Go Cowboys...

Soccer Mom
09-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I love football at all levels. This weekend, my football diet will include everything from Pee Wee to JV to Varsity to College to NFL. I love it all.

College does have a fantastic atmosphere. Honestly, my favorite games to attend in person are the Friday night High School games. I live in a small town and you just can't match the atmosphere. There is a deep-rooted spirit that has nothing to do with money or fame, but pride in your town and your school. Tonight I will drive over two hours to attend an away game. Win or lose, it'll be worth it. Go Zebras! (yes, we really are the zebras :) )

Lavern08
09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
http://insiderspassport.com/images/redskins.jpg
Nuff said? :tongue

CheyElizabeth
09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I'll go ahead and pop in this thread.

The Saints rocked my FF league last night..

And GO TEXANS.

Soccer Mom
09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
My eyes! They burn!

thothguard51
09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
http://insiderspassport.com/images/redskins.jpg
Nuff said? :tongue

I loves this woman...

thothguard51
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
My eyes! They burn!

Burn baby, burn.

thothguard51
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
OK folks, today starts the professional football season.

Who will come out on top? Who will stink up the room? Who cares?

Any predictions?

Soccer Mom
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Well, that was a pitiful effort all the way around. Both Dallas and Washington looked dreadful. Ugh. This could be a long season.

Shadow_Ferret
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone else wonder how much the Refs had bet on Chicago? Anyone who thinks the NFL isn't corrupt just needs to watch that Detroit game.

Lavern08
09-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, that was a pitiful effort all the way around. Both Dallas and Washington looked dreadful. Ugh. This could be a long season.

It was an ugly win, but I'll take it. ;)

Soccer Mom
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
It was an ugly win, but I'll take it. ;)

I'd have been happy to take the win too, but YEEOUCH both teams offered a pathetic excuse for offense. There was a single offensive touchdown. One.

ETA: And Alex Barron might want to think about wearing a mask or moving out of state. You can only imagine how people are frothing at the mouth on sports radio.

Wayne K
09-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I was ready to root for the Jets tonight and came across this (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-femalereporter)

Go Ravens!!!!!!!!!

thothguard51
09-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Yes it was ugly, for both teams.

Penalties killed the Cowboys, though I wish it would have been because of the Redskins play...

Still, no reason for either team to panic. There are still 15 more games to play...

thothguard51
09-14-2010, 12:45 AM
I was ready to root for the Jets tonight and came across this (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-femalereporter)

Go Ravens!!!!!!!!!

Not a Rex Ryan fan and the article you linked does not surprise me... The coach sets the tone...

Yes, go RAVENS...

Soccer Mom
09-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Thoth and I are of one mind on this. Rex is Buddy Ryan's son. Nothing he does surprises me. Go Ravens!

thothguard51
09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Well, the Ravens won, but it was another game that was not pretty...

The one thing I noticed this weekend, a lot of game were ugly.

Soccer Mom
09-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Week one of the Not Ready for Primetime Football League.

Shadow_Ferret
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Go Ravens!!!!!!!!!

I don't know. Is it too much to expect a little professionalism from a locker room reporter? Forget that she's known for not even knowing the names of the teams she's interviewing, but are you really surprised by cat calls when your own station markets you as "the sexiest woman in sports" and has a sexy photo gallery (http://www.tvazteca.com/deportes/dxtips/galeria/1.shtml) on their website?

I'm not sure how I come down on this. I hate to blame the victim, after all, women have been in locker rooms for decades now so the team should have shown some decorum, too. But... *shrugs*

Lavern08
09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Do females really expect to be treated with the utmost respect in a Locker Room full of jocks? :Shrug:

thothguard51
09-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Week Two boys and girls. Who will improve, who will fall and who will look at Clinton Portis's package this week???

Soccer Mom
09-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Let's see, Dallas rebounds (and remembers to take a knee if buried at their own 20 with seconds before the half). Kansas City stomps Cleveland. Baltimore will beat Cinnci. Tennessee beats the Pitts.

Oh, and the Texans will see Portis and his package up close and personal. And Houston will win.

Okay, I put some picks down. How about others?

Wayne K
09-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Do females really expect to be treated with the utmost respect in a Locker Room full of jocks? :Shrug:

I expect women to be treated with respect everywhere. These guys have mothers, sisters and daughters.They should consider how they would want their own treated

Wayne K
09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I've never rooted for the Patriots, but today they are my favorite team :D

Me rooting against the Jets is a cruel punishment, but I think they should learn a valuable lesson. Maybe they'll do better next year

Lavern08
09-20-2010, 12:25 AM
...and who will look at Clinton Portis's package this week???

I'll pass - Not for all the tea in China. :D

thothguard51
09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
All in all, most of the games I watched today were better than week one, so that is an improvement...

Perhaps the guys should worry more about their packages and less about Women in the locker room...

unauthvu
09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
This should have some interesting dynamics.

Laverne, I was a diehard Redskins fan when I lived in the DC area, but only *after* George Allen was gone, who everybody else considered a saint. Also, where the typical Redskins fan thought the essence of a good season was losing every other game but beating Dallas, I had no animosity toward the Cowboys (in fact, I liked them), and my idea of a good season was losing to Dallas and winning every *other* game. And when the Redskins delivered the kind of season I wanted, they went to the Super Bowl.

When I moved back to California, my college quarterback, Jim Plunkett, had gone to the Raiders, and *they* became my team. (Just in time to beat the Skins in the Super Bowl, as it turned out.)

I have to take exception to anyone dissing the Jets, though. Here in Southern California, where we have no pro team, USC has been the next-best thing, so when the Jets are on, I pull for them because of Mark Sanchez.

thothguard51
09-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Week Three,

Any predictions, comments or rants?

thothguard51
09-26-2010, 06:41 PM
My predictions...

Houston over Dallas,

Vikings over Lions,

Skins over Rams,

and San Francisco gets its first win...

Jcomp
09-28-2010, 06:11 AM
R.I.P. George Blanda. One of the all time legends.

thothguard51
10-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Week # Four,

I didn't do too good in my picks last week. I still will go with the Skins over the Eagles this week. Hopefully the embarrassing lost to the Rams last week will be a wake up call to the skin. Also, if they beat the Eagles, they go to top of the division... Incentive.

Silver King
10-03-2010, 08:26 AM
The only prediction I can make with certainty this week is that Tampa Bay won't lose.

They have a bye.

Soccer Mom
10-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Heh. Dallas didn't lose either.

What an oddball start to the season this has been. Predictions for tonight? Dolphins or Patriots? I'll pick Dolphins. Pats haven't shown anything resembling a defense.

Jcomp
10-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Randy Moss to the Vikes kinda scares, just because Favre has always been at his best when he has at least one "bail out" receiver who can go get the rock. Moss is a headcase and notoriously "difficult," but he still scares the hell out of defenses and opens up the rest of the field for the other wide-outs to get less attention. And, kinda like T.O., he normally doesn't meltdown for a good 2-3 years into his stay at any place, and since the Vikes are placing all of their bets on winning this year it works out of them.

cray
10-07-2010, 12:15 AM
i agree. totally.
it could be a pretty good deal for the vikings.

wait, one thing i don't agree with,......
you can't say the "rock" in football. i save that for bball. :D

ahem ~

*puts on announcer voice*

"jcomp takes the rock to the cup.....looks like he's going to windmill this thing,.....

wait. no. looks like he blew out his acl."

Jcomp
10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
wait. no. looks like he blew out his acl."

Ha. That's about right these days... Also, yes, I have sinned against the football gods by referring to a football as "the rock."

I must say, as a Cowboys fan, the Vikings game for them in two weeks is almost a must win. I think Dallas will beat the Titans (good defense, but even though he's my boy, Vince Young doesn't scare anyone and the Titans can't score enough / move the ball enough) and the Vikings will lose at the Jets. That will put Dallas at 2-2 and the Vikings at 1-3. The next week they go head-to-head and either Dallas buries the Vikings season by putting them at 1-4, or the Vikings pull it together in their own must-win and tie Dallas's record at 2-3, while giving themselves the head-to-head tie-breaker should it come to that to see who makes the playoffs.

So yeah... I hate to look ahead / take the Titans game for granted (considering Dallas found a way to pull out magical losses to the Bears and Skins, both of whom strike me as fairly bad despite their records), but that Minnesota game just became huuuuuuuge.

Soccer Mom
10-07-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm biting my nails over the Moss trade. They couldn't wait two stinkin' weeks to do it?

thothguard51
10-07-2010, 05:47 AM
What and miss a chance to beat the Cowboys? I bet Danny Snyder helped facilitate this deal... lol.

Hopefully the Cowboys will have digested that $55,000 meal by then...

Soccer Mom
11-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Following last nights absolute debacle, Wade is out in Dallas. Jason Garret is the interim head coach.

Isn't this year over yet? :(

thothguard51
11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I feel for you, Soccer Mom...

slcboston
11-09-2010, 01:55 AM

It might as well be. :D

The highlight of my entire season just happened yesterday: Cleveland beat New England.

:e2woo:

I couldn't believe it when I sat down to watch the game and the Browns were already ahead. I said to myself, "They'll blow it."

Cue Cleveland fumble, Pats recovery.

Only... only... it didn't happen. Pats didn't score (least not off that recovery), the Browns didn't blow it, and Cleveland took out one of the best teams in the league.

I don't care if the Pats were having an off day at the same time Cleveland was having a good day. I don't care, it doesn't matter. They WON and there is joy in Mudville.

:D

.... now if they can just beat Pittsburgh when they face them again....

Soccer Mom
11-09-2010, 02:04 AM
I feel for you, Soccer Mom...

Yeah, you have Shanahan and a hope for the future. I'm just sitting here watching my team implode.

And yay for Cleveland! That was awesome. It was one of the only games that went the way I wanted it to. Seriously, Detroit. You couldn't do one little thing for me?

slcboston
11-09-2010, 02:07 AM
It's Detroit... you should know the answer to that by now.

:D

Jcomp
11-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Following last nights absolute debacle, Wade is out in Dallas. Jason Garret is the interim head coach.

Well, on the bright side... at least we don't have to listen to knee-jerk fans and sports-talk hosts blame Tony Romo for every loss since he's been out for these last two beatdowns...

Soccer Mom
11-09-2010, 07:15 AM
So true, Jcomp. There are many things wrong with the Cowboys. Romo wasn't one of them.