PDA

View Full Version : West Indies/Caribbean

Tienci
09-09-2010, 02:03 AM
So I looked through all three pages and didn't see a shout-out to West Indians/Caribbean/Central American folk...
Come on, I know I'm not the only one here! ;)

defyalllogic
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
culturally and by birth, Jamaican. but i'm a new englander

aruna
09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Guyanese by birth and upbringing! South America by geography, West Indian in every other way.
I spent a lot of time in Trinidad as a child, as my mother worked there. Also visited most of the islands on holidays. I'm definitely Caribbean by nature, and it's a pity I don't live there any more. WHere are you from?

poetinahat
09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Um, I was born in Puerto Rico, but we left when I was one. That's as close as I can get!

Youthnorage
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Jamaican here :hi:

SaraP
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the International District, Youthnorage. :hi:

Youthnorage
04-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks SaraP :)

backslashbaby
04-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Welcome! I just have friends who are from the islands. Can I just say y'all have the best (group of) accents ever? And the food! And music. Oh, my :)

Tienci
04-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Can I just say y'all have the best (group of) accents ever? And the food! And music. Oh, my :)

backslashbaby, agreed. :D

Eugénio
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Belize here - the jewel that links the Caribbean to Central America.

SaraP
04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome aboard, Eugénio. :hi:

mountainannie
05-02-2011, 07:28 PM
By adoption.. NYer now living in the Dominican Republic.. have also lived in Grenada, Puerto Rico and Haiti..

lovin it

(but like the other Caribbean food better... ahhhh rotis! jerked chicken!)

zolambrosine
05-14-2011, 10:33 AM
St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands here. :)

mar quest
05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Puerto Rico

Purple Rose
05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Welcome! I just have friends who are from the islands. Can I just say y'all have the best (group of) accents ever? And the food! And music. Oh, my :)

Welcome and me too, got friends from West Indies, mainly Antigua. Must agree with backslashbaby about the accent. I have met people from more than a hundred countries and have never ever heard anything that sounds as beautiful as the accent from that part of the world. You can say bad things to me and still, all I will hear is sweetness :-)

yungchic
05-30-2011, 09:03 AM
i'se ah trini, ah trini, lol.
lol @ purple rose. So u mean to tell me that if an islander cuss yuh, u wouldn't mind?
@mountianannie, yeah girl, rotis are the bomb! jerk chicken and festivals! saltfish buljol! callalloo! doubles! yum!

Youthnorage
05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
I happen to love Trini accents. ;-)

Eugénio - my current short story is set in Belize. :hi:

Tienci
07-17-2011, 05:44 AM
^^
One of my favorite novels as a teen was set in Belize (required high school reading: "Beka Lamb"-Zee Edgell).

I too am a huge fan of the Trini accent (and food!)--lots of Trini friends :)

Yay--so happy to see my fellow Caribbean/West Indian/Central & South American peeps!
Hello Jamaica, Guyana, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Belize & USVI!

Oliviamelb
10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey i'm from Barbados and was just wondering if they're other Caribbean members on the forum like me..

In the english speaking caribbean we write standard english , however each island has its own unique way of speaking and expressing ourselves.

Greetings slang
Barbados yea wha gine on
Trinidad how all ya doing
Jamaica what ah gwon

Trinis and Jamaicans correct me if I'm wrong

jeniseaaron
04-05-2012, 04:58 AM
hi!

i'm guyanese. nice to meet a fellow caribbean writer on here. i think for the trinis it's more like 'how allyuh doing'. in guyana we say 'whammin'. :)

jeniseaaron
04-05-2012, 05:01 AM
another guyanese, born and raised, here. now living in toronto. so glad to find some fellow west indians! and yup, roti and curry is my favourite meal of all time, with pepperpot being a close second :).

SerialWriter
04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone!

Born and raised in Canada from two Haitian parents! Only got to visit home once though. Wasn't my best experience but I still love the islands! :)

lmoses2011
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
First of all we don't talk like that...lol(well some of us). I guess I thought that starting a thread for my fellow Caribbean writers would be cool. And I have a question and everything.

Are your characters/stories caribbean based, and if not do you worry that people would think that you're shunning your culture doing such?

Tienci
02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
(Bumping for lmoses2011) :)

lmoses2011
02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Why thank you sugar!!! oh i'm from trinidad. Don't know if i mentioned it.

marie2
04-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Born, raised and still living in the Dominican Republic. :)

Eltondiva
04-02-2013, 02:56 AM
Guyanese here, been living in London since I was 13.

MysteriousFemme
04-16-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm Haitian, born and raised in New York. :)

Tienci
05-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Nice to 'meet' you guys and welcome! :)

a.forr3st3r
06-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Guyanese by birth and upbringing! South America by geography, West Indian in every other way.

hi there, shout out from one Guyanese to another... soooo nice to know im not alone here!!!

a.forr3st3r
06-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Yea we do... the cultural diversity is just mind blowing sometimes... my favourite part is the food... nothing beats west indian curry, lol!!!

a.forr3st3r
06-09-2013, 01:29 AM
i'se ah trini, ah trini, lol.
lol @ purple rose. So u mean to tell me that if an islander cuss yuh, u wouldn't mind?

lol... west indians cuss like a badass!!

Tienci
06-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Welcome a.forr3st3r! :)

a.forr3st3r
06-09-2013, 06:49 AM
thx!!!

aruna
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Guyanese here, been living in London since I was 13.

hi there, shout out from one Guyanese to another... soooo nice to know im not alone here!!!

Seems Guyanese are taking over the forum!
Hi to both of you, and welcome to AW!

a.forr3st3r
06-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Seems Guyanese are taking over the forum!
Hi to both of you, and welcome to AW!

well u kno hw we Guyanese do it... if u cant beat dem out populate dem hahaha!

a.forr3st3r
06-13-2013, 12:27 AM
First of all we don't talk like that...lol(well some of us). I guess I thought that starting a thread for my fellow Caribbean writers would be cool. And I have a question and everything.

Are your characters/stories caribbean based, and if not do you worry that people would think that you're shunning your culture doing such?

funny you shud mention it, this actually crossed my mind a lot when i first strted writing and my stories were chick lit, i've never actually read chick lit fr a Caribbean writer (tho im not saying there arent any)!!

i thought about it a lot especially when it came to the dialect i choose to write, and i did feel a little guilty or someting!! but then it dawned on me that i was actually writing the way i spoke and the way a lot of the people i kno speak... and my dialects actually arent rlly standard English based im writing the way i hear things!

The plot of my story revolves around a lot of things that actually happen right here and all of my locations are local (I'm from Guyana)... the Caribbean is really all about diversity and even though my stories dont have a cultural backdrop it is about things that have happened rite in the Caribbean, the Caribbean is loaded wit women dealing wit modern issues (which is wat chick lit is about) and i tink writing about it the way it happens in my head makes me realize that we're not so different from the issues the rest of the world faces...

i dont feel like im shunning my culture (not anymore), i more feel like im opening a door for people to experience another side of what my culture is like!!

aruna
06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Typical Guyanese: I am in the Uk right now visiting my daughter. I have a Guyanese friend who lives in the same town, and another half-Guyanese friend who came down from London to visit me both on the same day. They did not know each other. However, within minutes of meeting they had already established at least three common friends/friends of friends, and this continued all through the afternoon.
We is like one big happy family, nah!

a.forr3st3r
06-14-2013, 04:01 AM
We is like one big happy family, nah!

yep, yes we is... hehehehe!!

lmoses2011
06-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi I have not been on in a while, but I have a question. (Esp for the people who live in the Caribbean) Do you feel pressured to write with Caribbean characters?

aruna
06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi I have not been on in a while, but I have a question. (Esp for the people who live in the Caribbean) Do you feel pressured to write with Caribbean characters?

Quite the opposite. I want to write about my country and my culture, but my publisher told me it's not commercial enough, don't do it!
I still did/do.

Tienci
06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Quite the opposite. I want to write about my country and my culture, but my publisher told me it's not commercial enough, don't do it!
I still did/do.

Same here!
I have a hard time selling my West Indian-centered work but can't help writing such pieces from time to time. And I guess once in a while it pays off (just sold my first short story of this type yesterday).

Having not lived at home in almost a decade makes it easier to write stories about 'others,' but part of what drives me as a writer is getting more stories about 'us' out there, one way or another.

SaraP
07-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Everyone ok with the bumps along the Thread Merge? :)

CarlHackman
09-29-2013, 05:51 PM
British expat living in the Dominican Republic.

This Provincial Life
02-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm in the Dominican Republic and would love to virtually get to know some writers in the area. :)

Do you guys write in English or Spanish?

SaraP
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Welcome to AW, and to the International District! :hi:

This Provincial Life
02-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks! :)

Surtsey Ana
02-15-2014, 01:40 AM

I think the addage states 'Write what you know'.

M.N Thorne
02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I am third generation American here but my grandparents were from Jamaica and Barbados. However, I had family that lived everywhere in the Caribbean and Latin America but most of Central America, Bermuda, and Martinique. I speak English, Spanish, and Papimento plus love eating Bajan fried chicken. Also I am sucker for old fashion Calypso.

Routhwick
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Man on many interests currently residing in Waterbury, CT; originally from the Commonwealth of Dominica. (That's in my official bio on G+.)

Routhwick
02-25-2014, 01:24 PM

In the case of my two big projects? Absolutely. (The Sevton Saga is partially set in the fictional island of Rogatia, and contains humans; Marigot Magic [in the permutation I'm currently visualising] begins in Dominica—that's my homeland once again—before moving to the Turks and Caicos, and features a cast of anthro animals à la Disney. Suffice to say I have the furry fandom in mind for the latter, too.)