Croatian Slang

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
HELLO!!

I'm doing some reasearch for a WIP and need to know some phrases or slang terms that Croatian teens use. Like, calling a girl a chick, honey, dear, anything sarcastic, or even curse words.

Yeah, this is a pretty general request and general answers would be great since I don't have dialoge already written and am just putting feelers out for those general terms/phrases if anyone here knows of any.

Thanks! ;)

Bookworm0o0

Registered
Reaction score
Heya, JamieB!

It just so happens I have 2 young online Croatians friends who've insisted I write a Croatian computer geek into my WIP. They're a crack up and more than willing to help. I'll see if I can find one of them online and get back to you.

Bookworm0o0

Registered
Reaction score
a chick would be "komad" which actually means "a piece" (yea, a piece is vulgar, but that's us!)

honey and dear would be "draga" or "ljubavi"
ljubavi means my love
draga means darling

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is from Yugoslavia. He's never heard the term Komad. However, pička is the worst insult you can call a woman, referring to her genitalia if you catch my drift.

Slatka means sweet
lepotica means beauty
volim te is I love you
jebiga is a cuss, like F*** it. It's used often, very often.
jebi se is F*** you.
svet is flower.

I hope that helps.
icon12.gif

QuillsWrath

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is from Yugoslavia... pička is the worst insult you can call a woman, referring to her genitalia if you catch my drift.

I laught at this remark. I come from Slovenia where girls (say to the age of 25 aproximately) are reffered to as "pička" (meaning explained above). It is and it is not meant as insult: even girls ask something like: "Ali imaš pičko?" literary meaning "Do you have a cunt?" - guys are usually ask that question. Well that translates as "Do you have a girlfriend?"

It is kind of showinistic if you dive into it...

By the way: Slovenia is former Yugoslavian republic - one of six