PDA

View Full Version : Croatian Slang

JamieB
09-09-2010, 12:16 AM
HELLO!!

I'm doing some reasearch for a WIP and need to know some phrases or slang terms that Croatian teens use. Like, calling a girl a chick, honey, dear, anything sarcastic, or even curse words.

Yeah, this is a pretty general request and general answers would be great since I don't have dialoge already written and am just putting feelers out for those general terms/phrases if anyone here knows of any.

Thanks! ;)

Bookworm0o0
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Heya, JamieB!

It just so happens I have 2 young online Croatians friends who've insisted I write a Croatian computer geek into my WIP. They're a crack up and more than willing to help. I'll see if I can find one of them online and get back to you.

Bookworm0o0
09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
a chick would be "komad" which actually means "a piece" (yea, a piece is vulgar, but that's us!)

honey and dear would be "draga" or "ljubavi"
ljubavi means my love
draga means darling

SaraP
09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Hooray for online international buddies! :D

JamieB
09-29-2010, 04:16 PM
a chick would be "komad" which actually means "a piece" (yea, a piece is vulgar, but that's us!)

honey and dear would be "draga" or "ljubavi"
ljubavi means my love
draga means darling

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! :hooray: Thank you SO SO MUCH!!!

Carleree
03-11-2011, 05:23 AM
My husband is from Yugoslavia. He's never heard the term Komad. However, pička is the worst insult you can call a woman, referring to her genitalia if you catch my drift.

Slatka means sweet
lepotica means beauty
volim te is I love you
jebiga is a cuss, like F*** it. It's used often, very often.
jebi se is F*** you.
svet is flower.

I hope that helps. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

QuillsWrath
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
My husband is from Yugoslavia... pička is the worst insult you can call a woman, referring to her genitalia if you catch my drift.

I laught at this remark. I come from Slovenia where girls (say to the age of 25 aproximately) are reffered to as "pička" (meaning explained above). It is and it is not meant as insult: even girls ask something like: "Ali imaš pičko?" literary meaning "Do you have a cunt?" - guys are usually ask that question. Well that translates as "Do you have a girlfriend?"

It is kind of showinistic if you dive into it...

By the way: Slovenia is former Yugoslavian republic - one of six