New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Ontario--Join Us!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The House of Love is holding its third annual get-together, this time in Penn Yan, New York (that’s in the Finger Lakes) Friday, October 8 through Sunday, October 10. We’ll be right near the Keuka College marker on the right branch of the lake’s upper fork.

keukaareawineries.jpg

The get-together house, Lakecrest Manor, is on the water. This picture, taken from the lake, shows the bungalow and the main house.

bungalowmanor.jpg

Fall foliage should be at or near its peak, making for a scenic drive and great views.

keukafoliage.jpg

The House of Love people are a friendly, low-key group who totally get your writing struggles. This could be your weekend for relaxing, connecting with fellow writers, and just plain enjoying yourself.

Penn Yan is in western New York, midway between Syracuse and Rochester but south of both, at the northeastern tip of Keuka Lake (the only Y-shaped of the Finger Lakes). It’s 70 miles from Syracuse, 115 miles from Buffalo, 150 miles from Wilkes-Barre, 160 miles from Scranton, 180 miles from Hamilton, 195 from Kingston (Ont.), 200 miles from Erie, 205 miles from Albany, 210 miles from Toronto or Harrisburg, 270 miles from Newark, 280 miles from New York, 290 from Youngstown, 295 from Cleveland, 315 fom Akron, or 320 from Pittsburgh or Hartford--not an impossible drive. (All under 5.5 hours according to Google Maps. If you left in the morning, you’d be there by mid-afternoon.)

newyorkstatemap.gif

Spouses and significant others are welcome at all events, including communal meals, except Saturday afternoon’s critique session. (We’ll need a head count for who’s eating so we buy and prepare enough food.) We plan a Mad Hatter party Friday night (you don’t get in without a hat, the more outrageous the better) and a Pajama party Saturday night. Although the rental house is full, you can PM Maryn for a list of area hotels and a couple of B&Bs the owners of the rental house have recommended. There are many others in the area.

Say you'll come!

Maryn, with hopeful puppydog eyes

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm way jealous.

I was in that area as a kid and it is beautiful. I hope some one brings me back a refrigerator magnet.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What, they don't allow you to board airplanes? I'll pick you up at the airport, even.

Maryn, hoping for a crowd

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounda marvy, but any hopes I had of going is kinda kaput now that I start a new job on the 20th. WAY too soon to have earned any vacation time.

Have fun, though!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:Jump:

I'm going! All paid up, passport will be here by the end of the week, I hope! I'm going! :D

Now I just gotta write something for critique...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you can't get something for critique ready in time, it'll be great to meet you.

Maryn, who gets along with other genres

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I have a question.

What do the purple bottles on the map represent? Looks promising...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ambrosia, we'd love to have you if you're around.

Rob, it's a longer trip for you, but it would be nice to see you again, too. If you would seriously consider it, there's a possibility of ride sharing starting in North Carolina.

Cray, I don't know if anyone's driving past Post #37264, but if I see the sign, I'll stop.

Yeshanu, the map is from some wine promotion. Each bottle represents a winery. Although if Cliff brings enough rum, maybe we won't need wine, eh?

The Finger Lakes are wine country, second in the US only to northern California. The Rieslings, Gewürztraminers, and ice wines (made from grapes allowed to freeze on the vine, producing a rich, sweet dessert wine) win awards all the time.

Maryn, who thinks people may tour wineries Saturday morning

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu, the map is from some wine promotion. Each bottle represents a winery. Although if Cliff brings enough rum, maybe we won't need wine, eh?

The Finger Lakes are wine country, second in the US only to northern California. The Rieslings, Gewürztraminers, and ice wines (made from grapes allowed to freeze on the vine, producing a rich, sweet dessert wine) win awards all the time.

I was planning on leaving Friday morning and arriving sometime Friday afternoon. I may now leave tomorrow, and never arrive at all... :tongue

Seriously, though--if anyone between Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph and Penn Yann wants a drive, drop me a PM.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be great if people coming from the same general direction shared a ride. We have someone coming from North Carolina, some from Ohio, and some from western New York. Is that on anybody's way?

Kristie911 (who helped organize the first two) is going to be sorry she missed this one.

Maryn, who likes writers far more than the general population

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I am always so sad I can never make it to these things. I hope you guys have a great time and I wanna see pics when you return!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, ice wines! It might actually be worth the $2k needed to make it there!

I'll just have to make sure I catch the jet. And arrange for a clone to take my classes for me. And sell my blood to afford the air fare. And somehow arrange to get a passport in time...

Hmm. Maybe I won't be able to make it...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, and Cliff, all we did was find a little group here at AW who liked one another and agreed to meet. Once the time and place was set, we opened it up to everyone who could make it. I'm sure that can be made to work in other places, too, even if the organizer(s) have to travel themselves to reach a central location convenient to many.

Maryn, who flew to the last two

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
My one and only problem is with the money I would need. It's why I missed the meet-up in London as well.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay! You are specifically, and most cordially, invited. What time will you be arriving?

Maryn, planning to get there first

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, and Cliff, all we did was find a little group here at AW who liked one another and agreed to meet. Once the time and place was set, we opened it up to everyone who could make it. I'm sure that can be made to work in other places, too, even if the organizer(s) have to travel themselves to reach a central location convenient to many.

Maryn, who flew to the last two

Cliff, there are a fair number of AWers in Australia. I know you don't have ice wine, but you do have Australian Table Wines. :D

Ruth, who is sorry that she couldn't find an audio file that actually featured Monty Python.