PDA

View Full Version : My babies are not babies *sniff*

Mr Flibble
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
So, my kids. My babies, are no longer babies. *sniff* I'd been getting used to it with Son. After all he's taller than I am, even if he is only 11. But he started secondary last week, and he looks all grown up in his uniform (and a bit weird with his hair in a bun, but hey)

But my daughter has started walking to school by herself too. She walks off with a cheery wave and here I am, with nothing to do and it's only 8:30....(well it's not now, but I've been sniffing for a while)

Babies are babies no more *sniff*

KTC
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I know the feeling. It never gets easier. My 'baby' starts grade 10 today. He's 14 and he's 6' 3"...one inch taller than me. His sister---she lives in another city, works two jobs is engaged and in her twenties. Me...I'm still picturing the three year-old her. Sometimes I think of her in Toronto living her own life and it makes me want to scream---shouldn't she be in grade three still?????

Mr Flibble
09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Me...I'm still picturing the three year-old her.

You mean this carries on? WAAAH!

And yeah, the three year old her...so cute... *sniffle*

KTC
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM

oh yeah...it carries on. whenever i drive her to the airport i picture myself putting a three year-old on the plane. i feel like i have to tell the flight attendants to look after her. it never goes away. or maybe i'm just pyscho dad???

Yeshanu
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM

My baby turned twenty a week ago. I no longer even have a teenager in the house. My eldest started grad school today...

I. Am. Not. Old. :tongue

And no, Kevin, you're not psycho dad. Every time my kids go away, especially if they're driving somewhere, and even more so if they're travelling to another country or province, I worry. Are they really old enough to be away from their mommy for so long?

(Poor Ally. On the weekend, we went up to my parent's farm, and attended the Kinmount fair. A guy came into the chicken barn, where we were sitting, and my dad, the genial host, introduced his daughter and granddaughter. The guy said, "So you're what? Fifteen?" He couldn't believe she was 22. Neither can I...)

WendyNYC
09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll join the pity party. My daughter started middle school this morning. It's only 9:45 here, but I'm ready to cry in my beer.

DeleyanLee
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I must be weird. I don't have that reaction at all. I look at my grown children, look at the fact that they're on their own, they're traveling across the country by themselves, and think about how wonderful it is that they're good people and, more importantly to me, good friends of mine.

But, then, I dislike children in general and couldn't wait for mine to grow up and get out of the overly dependent stages of life.

Yeshanu
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I must be weird. I don't have that reaction at all. I look at my grown children, look at the fact that they're on their own, they're traveling across the country by themselves, and think about how wonderful it is that they're good people and, more importantly to me, good friends of mine.

This always leaves me shaking my head in wonder and pride. Since I was also a minister for a large part of their childhood, it also amazes me when they mention something I said in a sermon that's affected their lives.

How on earth did I do it? I love my kids...

Haggis
09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Pfft. You're all a bunch of kids.

My Granddaughter's learning how to drive a stick.

KTC
09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
My baby turned twenty a week ago. I no longer even have a teenager in the house. My eldest started grad school today...

I. Am. Not. Old. :tongue

And no, Kevin, you're not psycho dad. Every time my kids go away, especially if they're driving somewhere, and even more so if they're travelling to another country or province, I worry. Are they really old enough to be away from their mommy for so long?

(Poor Ally. On the weekend, we went up to my parent's farm, and attended the Kinmount fair. A guy came into the chicken barn, where we were sitting, and my dad, the genial host, introduced his daughter and granddaughter. The guy said, "So you're what? Fifteen?" He couldn't believe she was 22. Neither can I...)

Ooh! The Kinmount Fair. I was there once. (-;

You want to hear a humiliating daughter/father story...

About 5 years ago my daughter and I went to get haircuts together...I hear the girl cutting her hair telling her she's going to love her boyfriend's new haircut. I was in a chair behind them...being cut at the same time. I hear my daughter going, "OH. MY. GOD!!!!! That's not my BOYFRIEND! That's my DAD!!!!!" I thought the woman was a goner...but she barely harmed her at all. Then all the people there started talking about it...'oh my god...how can he be your father!?' 'you're too young to be her father!' and the like. Needless to say, that was the last time we EVER went there...and the last time we got our hair cut together.

kayleamay
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I must be weird too.

My kids are not quite grown yet, but getting there quickly. I have to say, I'm enjoying these older stages more than I did the younger years. It's like having a small group of mini-adults now.

My oldest is disabled and will probably never move out, so I'll never really have an empty nest. But, the thought of seeing them out there, doing their things, setting the world on fire (hopefully not literally) makes me feel more proud than sentimental.

KTC
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
But, the thought of seeing them out there, doing their things, setting the world on fire (hopefully not literally) makes me feel more proud than sentimental.

I do get the pride...but I'm a sentimental sap...I can't help myself. (-;

defyalllogic
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
oh but now they get to tell you stories and accomplish things with the minds you helped the grow into useful idea machines.

sure they're not babies, but they'll still need you.

(if you want to prove it to yourself, let them watch Chucky. that had me in my mom's bed real fast at 10ish, maybe younger.)

Ellefire
09-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Ooh! The Kinmount Fair. I was there once. (-;

You want to hear a humiliating daughter/father story...

About 5 years ago my daughter and I went to get haircuts together...I hear the girl cutting her hair telling her she's going to love her boyfriend's new haircut. I was in a chair behind them...being cut at the same time. I hear my daughter going, "OH. MY. GOD!!!!! That's not my BOYFRIEND! That's my DAD!!!!!" I thought the woman was a goner...but she barely harmed her at all. Then all the people there started talking about it...'oh my god...how can he be your father!?' 'you're too young to be her father!' and the like. Needless to say, that was the last time we EVER went there...and the last time we got our hair cut together.

I've got a better one! When I was expecting my first baby, I was a single mother, father of baby gone from the horizon. The day after I gave birth the midwife came up to me and said "Baby's daddy is here!" She must have gotten mixed up somewhere, it was MY dad who walked in.

To be fair, my dad has always looked really young. And now he's given up all his bad habits, he looks even younger. To the point where his new passport photo looks no different to his ten year old passport photo.

That baby is now in college and people still mistake my parents as hers :D

Yeshanu
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
My oldest is disabled and will probably never move out, so I'll never really have an empty nest. But, the thought of seeing them out there, doing their things, setting the world on fire (hopefully not literally) makes me feel more proud than sentimental.

Ditto for my youngest. But he's still made progress that I'm amazed at. He's now in the competitive group in his Special Olympics swim team, and I used to wonder if he'd ever leave the shallow end.

Yeshanu
09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I've got a better one! When I was expecting my first baby, I was a single mother, father of baby gone from the horizon. The day after I gave birth the midwife came up to me and said "Baby's daddy is here!" She must have gotten mixed up somewhere, it was MY dad who walked in.

When I was pregnant with my second, I worked at McDonald's. One of the kids who worked there asked me what high school I went to. I was twenty-eight at the time...

My mother's side of the family is fairly young-looking. Ally's been mistaken for my sister at least once. It's not just that I don't look fifty, but also that I don't act fifty. :D

kayleamay
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
My daughter has Downs but despite her low IQ, sometimes (okay, often), she seems to have more common sense and better life skills than our high functioning boys do. When it comes down to having a kid that will never be fully independent, I couldn't ask for easier company. She's incredibly pleasant to be around, except for the PMS days.

Yeshanu
09-08-2010, 06:43 PM
My daughter has Downs but despite her low IQ, sometimes (okay, often), she seems to have more common sense and better life skills than our high functioning boys do. When it comes down to having a kid that will never be fully independent, I couldn't ask for easier company. She's incredibly pleasant to be around, except for the PMS days.

At least mine's a boy... :D (Don't need two of us PMSing at the same time. :tongue)

Robin's pretty easy to be around now, too. He's outgrown the temper tantrums that are typical of kids and teens with autism. He likes hiking, swimming, pizza and watching movies--the same things that we all like. And he doesn't talk much, so the rest of us are left alone to our books. :)

kayleamay
09-08-2010, 06:47 PM
My husband believed that PMS was just a myth that women created so they'd have an excuse to be short-tempered once a month, until my typically happy-natured daughter yelled at him for eating the last yogurt and then burst into tears one day when she was about twelve.

Kaiser-Kun
09-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Babies are babies no more *sniff*

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoxuwI4Ql51cAA_9KbbuwGoNPphuOdR VGapyMJiUc1D0kGaU4&t=1&usg=__dnKWVA6SnA0Be-v2p3eCMSfmTrI=

shadowwalker
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
My baby's 28. Coming home in a couple weeks for his 10 year high school reunion - and he's getting a hotel room for the weekend instead of staying with me! It's only 30 miles!

Yeah - he's cut the apron strings but I'm still clinging to the threads...

Shadow_Ferret
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I think it's wonderful. Soon they'll be grown up, moved out of the house, and I can do as I please without interruption.

Haggis
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I think it's wonderful. Soon they'll be grown up, moved out of the house, and I can do as I please without interruption.
Don't forget to change the locks.

benbradley
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey, there's some "comforting" songs about kids growing up I'm sure you can find on Youtube, here's titles:

Sunrise, Sunset
The Circle Game

For some reason parents ALWAYS cry when hearing those...

Ken
09-09-2010, 01:54 AM
... won't be long before you'll be having lil grandkids ;-)

Yeshanu
09-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Hey, there's some "comforting" songs about kids growing up I'm sure you can find on Youtube, here's titles:

Sunrise, Sunset
The Circle Game

For some reason parents ALWAYS cry when hearing those...

How about "Cat's in the Cradle"?