Does LSI *require* you to use their cover templates?

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
...Or can I provide my own cover, already designed in every detail, in .pdf form? (their site is unclear about this, and I hoped someone here might know)

I have a book in two .pdf files--interior pages and cover--and it's worked gorgeously for 3000+ self-published copies sold so far. I'd like to take my business to LSI for better distrbution, though, if I can just give them the same two files and get the same perfect product back from them, plus lower printing costs and automatic ordering.

Thanks in advance!

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, according to an employee at LSI (Ms. Amber Howell), you are able to upload your own cover. Hope this helps.

Carolanne Patton

Registered
Reaction score
You are able to upload your own cover but there could be a problem if you've formatted it for another publisher. For instance, the cover I used for Createspace would not work for LSI because LSI uses thinner paper for the pages and so the finished book was thinner and the spine thickness was different. For that reason, I had to rework the cover to match their template.

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll be sure to check the paper weight to compare, and if they're different to use the spine width calculator.

DoctorMandaBenson

I iz Publishr!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tangentrine.com
You can do, but I'd recommend you use their template in InDesign if you are able to. You should be able to pull your own PDF into it and check it fits properly and distil the file according to their standards. Aaron Shepard I think mentioned something on his blog about LS rasterising covers not complying to their recommendations, which can reduce the visual quality of some of the cover elements.

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's helpful replies! Between this and my correspondence with LSI, I found that the answer is exactly what I hoped: yes I CAN use my own cover, as long as it's rendered in the proper .pdf format and the bar code works properly. Aaron Shepards' blog was also very helpful--that's for that tip!--and helped me know exactly what questions to ask LSI.