Restraining/ containing

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my story, I've got a number of scenes where characters are tied or handcuffed to things, and I've gotta mix it up a little. The methods can be as high (or low) tech as needed, access (ie, military stuff, law inforcement equip, bondage, chemical) and money are pretty much unlimited. I've already endulged in a nice tasing, so that's retired. Considering a souped up dog shock collar. Any other ideas?

One character doing the restraining is the good guy. He's rich as hell, but is still trying to figure out how the microwave works. The other is just regular rich, and is completely diabolical.

I need to restrain characters 1) into the passenger seat of a Bugatti Veyron (no real trunk to speak of), 2) in a run down apartment, 3) in the living room of a mansion.

I'd like the detainees to remain conscious, present, and preferably verbal (for the most part). I love ridiculous (like Harvey Corman bound to the garage door opener in 9 to 5) for the Bugatti and the apartment, and precise and efficient for the mansion. But, I can get jiggy with the ideas myself. I'm just a little stuck on the mechinisms.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How about a chemical bonding agent? That could be made "ridiculous", but believable at a stretch for a diabolical and rich person, I think. Something like a quick-set epoxy type of compound that's inert until both parts of the reaction touch, maybe?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about a chemical bonding agent? That could be made "ridiculous", but believable at a stretch for a diabolical and rich person, I think. Something like a quick-set epoxy type of compound that's inert until both parts of the reaction touch, maybe?

:D

And think of all the interesting places I could stick him. Fun, thanks!

Not in the Veyron, though. Oh, man. I told my husband I was contemplating a scene where my MC kicks the side of his car, and he flipped out and made me swear on wine and chocolate I would never do anything so criminal as to letting my MC kick that car, no matter how upset he was. I mean, the man likes cars as much as the next guy, but he's hardly a fanatic.

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
I seem to remember a drug that's used in surgery to effectively paralyze the patient, and is separate from the anesthetic. something like that could be interesting.

Also the flexi-cuffs used by law enforcement, or cable ties, a nail gun to nail the person's clothing to the wall with them still in it, a chain around the neck fastened to an eyebolt in the ceiling, a cage made of electrified bars...

DL

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
There was always the story of the woman who safety-pinned the top sheet of the bed to the mattress, thereby imprisoning her husband...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
duct tape

It works on Men:
duct-tape-man.jpg

Women:

DuctTapeWallBed.jpg

And children (plus plushy ducks):

duct_tape_baby_mianro.jpg

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh! I like! The baby's priceless.

I am a huge fan of duct tape. Sadly I risk becoming a bit of a one-note if I use it. In the book my agent is shopping now, the hero and heroine meet when she robs his pawn shop with a gun duct taped to her hand, then duct tapes him to the counter of his shop as she works. It's even in the hook.

I heart duct tape.

I could call it my signature, I suppose, but I think my agent will prolly just chuck the ms back with a stern look and then withold all LOL catz until I come up with some manner(s) of maintaining the upper hand that doesn't involve taping, tying, or handcuffing anybody to anything.

Le Sigh.

Thanks, Quicklime and Cyia!

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to remember a drug that's used in surgery to effectively paralyze the patient, and is separate from the anesthetic. something like that could be interesting.

Also the flexi-cuffs used by law enforcement, or cable ties, a nail gun to nail the person's clothing to the wall with them still in it, a chain around the neck fastened to an eyebolt in the ceiling, a cage made of electrified bars...

DL

Mmm. I've already got somebody murdered by puffer fish poison after lying in a paralytic coma, but I LIKE the nail gun. Especially if it was done in the heat of the moment (the captive in this scene is *very* annoying).

There was always the story of the woman who safety-pinned the top sheet of the bed to the mattress, thereby imprisoning her husband...

This is interesting too. I like the visual. Oh, or fold him up in a sofa bed and secure it closed with something (maybe the agent will let me use duct tape for just this one little detail...)? Again in the heat of the moment?

Hmm. :D

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
There's always super glue. I used that in an earlier novel. A convenience store robber saw a display of super glue on the counter, squirted some on the counter and ordered the clerk to place his palms in it. He made him stay in that position for the few seconds it took for the glue to set up, then went behind the counter and yanked the guy's pants down to add insult to injury.

The clerk was helpless. After the robber left, a group of intoxicated customers came in the store, saw his condition and walked out with several cases of beer and cigarettes.

Eventually, a good Samaritan found him and called the cops.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's always super glue. I used that in an earlier novel. A convenience store robber saw a display of super glue on the counter, squirted some on the counter and ordered the clerk to place his palms in it. He made him stay in that position for the few seconds it took for the glue to set up, then went behind the counter and yanked the guy's pants down to add insult to injury.

The clerk was helpless. After the robber left, a group of intoxicated customers came in the store, saw his condition and walked out with several cases of beer and cigarettes.

Eventually, a good Samaritan found him and called the cops.

You're my kind of guy, RJK, just maybe nicer. I prolly would have had the poor guy lit up with Christmas lights and set up at a tourist photo stop for $5 a pop by the kid who works at the skateboard shop down the street by the time the night was through.

*adds superglue to the list*

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bungee cords. Lots of them. We have ones with hooks on each end so they lock things in place.

41FsMwKik5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
Wrap them up like a present in thick paper and ribbon. Roll them in a carpet. Mummify them in bandages. Sew/pin a sleeping bag shut. Put them in a large box with a locked lid, or something heavy on top. Go round the entire outline of their body stapling their clothes to the wall or floor. Good wallpaper paste can stick a man to a wall (for an old Solvite ad they glued a guy to a board an suspended it beneath a helicopter). Partially (or totally) encase them in papier mache. Or just tie them up with belts, shoelaces, or good old-fashioned rope. I once showed myself up slightly by accidentally revealing to my friends that I know how to tie a handcuff knot whilst trying to explain how to do a sheepshank... interesting moment - "it's basically a handcuff knot with an extra loop" followed by a brief pause in which they all stared at me oddly... Still, it's a useful thing to know for... er... various purposes ;-)

Last edited:

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
Wrap him in that stretchy rubber stuff they use in physical therapy exercises. It comes in widths of maybe 12 inches or so, and varying lengths. Also different colors. Very quick way to immobilize someone.

Or so I've been told...(ahem).

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Considering a souped up dog shock collar. Any other ideas?

[Pro dog trainer here]
You don't need to soup it up. An off-the-shelf "trash burner" (for breaking dogs from running trash or unwanted game) will flatten someone nicely, about like grabbing a high-end electric fence. Shock duration can be up to 5 seconds. Some dogs are mondo tough. :eek:

Tho on that note... since you're doing weird, I'm wondering about using an electric fence unit... could have all manner of fun with trying to avoid touching hot wires in unexpected or tender places :evil

Orion11Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
Considering a souped up dog shock collar.

Why not jazz it up by hooking the electric fence style collar up to some c4...if you pass a certain point, your head pops off. Or if you cross a point, it sends a radio signal and your buddy/family member's head pops off.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who are you people???

Shhh! I love them!

ETA: PS, I really, really do! That draft's finished, but revisions continue until agent tears it from my clutching fingers, and I'm still looking to mix it up a little more...

Last edited:

GregS

Registered
Reaction score

Thumb cuffs (look like handcuffs, but only go around one finger on each hand) are surprisingly effective.

Flex cuffs (glorified zip ties) have already been mentioned, but come in a variety of sizes and configurations so they're worth repeating.

There are an assortment of very fancy, and effective, custom-designed BDSM devices that do things like secure the arms at the forearm, the legs at the thighs, the knees, and the arms folded behind the back.

Shrink-wrap or large quantities of Saran-wrap.

Sports bandages.

Straightjackets.

Clothing with sewn-together limbs.

Also, if you want to use tape of any kind but don't want adhesive on the skin, you can use a sports under-wrap to still provide the strength of duct-tape without the skin contact.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Tasing does not restrain anyone. It does not knock people unconscious.

All it does is make your muscles convulse. When it is done you can get up again, you may be a bit shaky but that's it.

For my input, Plastic Wrap.

SaranWrap.png

screamingturnip

Registered
Reaction score
I would have used the power of utter lies myself, nothing like being held hostage to your own imagination and gullibility.