PDA

View Full Version : Hello From The UK

Pages : [1] 2 3

kahless
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi There

Had a look through couldn't see that there was a UK thread (Mods - if there is please delete/merge this thread).

I'm based in Somerset in Southern England (the bit down a bit from Bristol, to the right of Devon and far left from London).

Maxinquaye
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey, going to get back to the UK in a month. I'll be in Reading, Berkshire. I just need to remember Kevlar. :)

Or as the MC in one of my favorite show shrieked to his parents: "When you moved, you had to move to bloody Reading!"

At lest it's not Slough, eh? :)

waylander
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome
Always good to have another Brit on board

Maxinquaye
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, there's quite a few brits here.

kahless
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Welcome
Always good to have another Brit on board

As in Waylander from the SFX forum?

Seb
09-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Welcome and greetings from Clacton on Sea (having moved from Slough...) :D

Priene
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Clacton on Sea (having moved from Slough...) :D

From the sighing pan into the dire.

Diana Hignutt
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll be in your fine country by tomorrow morning. If it's not nice there...I'm blaming you! Oh, and welcome to the boards, even if I am just another rotten yank. :)

Seb
09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
From the sighing pan into the dire.

Not from where I'm standing (or rather, sitting...)

jilly61
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll be in your fine country by tomorrow morning. If it's not nice there...I'm blaming you! Oh, and welcome to the boards, even if I am just another rotten yank. :)

Welcome to the UK. I'm sure it's sunny somewhere, you just might need to travel a bit.

waylander
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
As in Waylander from the SFX forum?

That's an imitation Waylander not me. I don't post on the SFX forum

SaraP
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the UK. I'm sure it's sunny somewhere, you just might need to travel a bit.

I have been to the UK a few times (well, only England really). I've always had great weather. I think the whole thing is one huge prank destined to keep furriners away. ;)

jilly61
09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been to the UK a few times (well, only England really). I've always had great weather. I think the whole thing is one huge prank destined to keep furriners away. ;)

Oh, no! We've been rumbled :D

Cliff Face
09-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, just like how the Australian Outback isn't really a treacherous desert full of things that can kill you but is actually an oversized ski resort. ;)

Mr Flibble
09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
At lest it's not Slough, eh? :) If all is is crumbling round your ears, the wife ran off, the dog bit you and the boss fired you, that's something to cling to. At least you're not in Slough.

It's true. We fake the weather reports. When we had a heatwave last year I met a couple of Americans in our local pub bemoaning the fact they'd only brought their thermals. The next day they came in in newly bought shorts and t-shirts. Half an hour later it was cat's and dogs....Our weather teaches you to be prepared.

Maxinquaye
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
It's true. We fake the weather reports. When we had a heatwave last year I met a couple of Americans in our local pub bemoaning the fact they'd only brought their thermals. The next day they came in in newly bought shorts and t-shirts. Half an hour later it was cat's and dogs....Our weather teaches you to be prepared.

This is truth.

There's a reason that weather is one of the top conversations among the brits.

In the UK the weather stalks you, and pounces, when you're the least prepared. For the laugh. Then it howls down the street looking for lager.

But hey, it's better than Slough.

Laquesi
09-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I went to London fully prepared but had great sunny days. Oh, how I miss London. Best chocolate chip cookie ever!

rosiecotton
09-10-2010, 10:50 PM
All this talk of the weather is making me homesick. I'm from South Cheshire, but live in the US. Just survived another summer of endless hot, humid weather. Every day the same--boring! I know many Brits move to get away from the weather. It's the one thing I really miss!:)

waylander
09-10-2010, 11:37 PM
But hey, it's better than Slough.

But you can get a damn good curry in Slough

Blue Istari
09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
All this talk of the weather is making me homesick. I'm from South Cheshire, but live in the US. Just survived another summer of endless hot, humid weather. Every day the same--boring! I know many Brits move to get away from the weather. It's the one thing I really miss!:)

Whenever I look out of the window and see yet another grey day, I think how nice it would be to have endless sunny days... But then I think about it a bit more and realise I would get bored with that after a while. Mind you, we've had some pretty decent weather this summer. For a week or two anyway!

Ok, weather ramble out of the way... (You don't realise how much you can talk about the weather until you start and just can't stop!) Hello there fellow Brits! I'm currently living in Nottingham, but am feeling a bit homesick for the wilds of rural North Yorkshire where I grew up. Cities just aren't for me, it seems.

And at this point I'll sign off, to refrain from adding to the Slough jokes. ;)

waylander
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM
@Blue Istari
Since you're in Nottingham are you attending FantasyCon?
http://sites.google.com/site/fantasycon2010/

Blue Istari
09-11-2010, 12:34 AM
@Blue Istari
Since you're in Nottingham are you attending FantasyCon?
http://sites.google.com/site/fantasycon2010/

Unfortunately not. Money is a bit tight at the moment. :(

Well, that's unless something changes in the next week or so and I sign up at the last minute.

Maxinquaye
09-11-2010, 01:51 AM
And at this point I'll sign off, to refrain from adding to the Slough jokes. ;)

Now I feel guilty for slagging Slough - who apparently have good curry.

You can't get decent curry where I'm at. At all :(

waylander
09-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Unfortunately not. Money is a bit tight at the moment. :(

Well, that's unless something changes in the next week or so and I sign up at the last minute.

Never mind.
Come to EasterCon in Birmingham next year, it'll be a better con, and sign up for the writing workshop

emmenthal
09-11-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm in Brum, what's EasterCon?

Cliff Face
09-11-2010, 05:49 AM
I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby. My brother is currently over there living about an hour away from Hereford, though I can't remember the town name...

Anyone been to these sleepy little places?

waylander
09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm in Brum, what's EasterCon?

Eastercon is the UK's largest SF/F convention with a load of published authors and publishing pros attending.
http://www.illustrious.org.uk/

Mr Flibble
09-11-2010, 12:50 PM

I live in one :D (a sleepy little place that is.)

Eastercon is the UK's largest SF/F convention with a load of published authors and publishing pros attending.
http://www.illustrious.org.uk/ And well worth going to. Just be careful of the alcohol content....

Priene
09-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Now I feel guilty for slagging Slough - who apparently have good curry.

and friendly bombs.

I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby.

Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place. Great countryside, though. I've not been to Hereford, though it does sound sleepy. It's home to a very small football club where, according to legend, the SAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service) (based "somewhere near Wales") once turned up in the home end in order to give the visiting Wolverhampton fans an etiquette lesson.

hammers
09-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I am also in the UK, from Essex although some people call the area I live greater London

Maxinquaye
09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I live in one :D (a sleepy little place that is.)

And well worth going to. Just be careful of the alcohol content....

This does not compute.

Blue Istari
09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Never mind.
Come to EasterCon in Birmingham next year, it'll be a better con, and sign up for the writing workshop

Tempting, very tempting! Will have to see how the money situation is in a few months (it's got to be better than it is now, at any rate).

Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place.

Hah! Best description of Derby I've ever read! :D

Mr Flibble
09-12-2010, 02:25 AM
This does not compute.

Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...

waylander
09-12-2010, 02:59 AM
At least I provided some amusement...

I'll vouch for that

Maxinquaye
09-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...

Isn't that like the whole point? :D

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.

Cliff Face
09-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Actually, I've only been to Hereford - never made it to Derby. My grandad always describes Derby as "the small little town where I grew up." Of course, that was before WW2, so... I guess it's expanded?

Mr Flibble
09-12-2010, 05:22 AM
I'll vouch for that It was a vouchworthy evening? I told Dave he was cute and cuddly, and that's true...Other occurrences may have..occured.

Isn't that like the whole point? :D

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.

YOU'RE FRENCH!!!!!!!

Maxinquaye
09-12-2010, 05:27 AM
It was a vouchworthy evening? I told Dave he was cute and cuddly, and that's true...Other occurrences may have..occured.

YOU'RE FRENCH!!!!!!!

Oui, mon grand-père est né à Nantes.

I would have thought my last name was decidedly un-viking. :)

Mr Flibble
09-12-2010, 05:54 AM
I would have thought my last name was decidedly un-viking. :)

You have a last name? Mainquaye isn't enough?

Cliff Face
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play. :D

Priene
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play. :D

I believe Sheepshaggers is the correct form of abuse for Derby fans. Or bleating come on Derby, maaaaaaaaaa in your best sheep voice.

I don't know whether it's true that they walk a ram around their pitch before kick-off, but I like to think so.

jlasserton
09-13-2010, 03:57 AM
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?

Cliff Face
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

:D

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list. :)

Priene
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Stonehenge is a Grade A disappointment. It's spoiled by noise, near a main road, has a shitty gift shop and a grim tunnel to access the site (which is roped off, so don't go expecting to actually touch a stone or anything).

Maxinquaye
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?

London is a HUGE city, it will all depend on when you're arriving and what you're looking to do. You can do touristy things for a week and still not have done half of it.

Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list. :)

What? Go to England and drink Irish beer? Newcastle Brown Ale should be a suitable substitute, I suppose.

Like was said before, Stonehenge is a great disappointment.

Cliff Face
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Hmm. I'd heard that Stonehenge was roped off. But I'd still like to see it, just like I'd like to see the pyramids and the sphinx. It's all pretty much boring - I mean, you just stand there, look at something, then go on your way. But still... it'd be something to do if I ever had too much cash I didn't know what to do with (yeah, like that'll ever happen...).

:)

hammers
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Covent garden and south bank are quite good they are usually full of street entertainers. You could also go see a football match if you like football, and even if you dont it can be quite an experience.

Have fun.

Paranormal_Writer
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Wow didn't realise there were so many folks here from the UK! I'm in Devon (and it's raining!) x

waylander
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Stonehenge is about 60 miles SW of London and requires a train ride followed by a bus ride to get there.
If you're staying any length of time in London go to this site http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and sort out a visitor's travel pass. Paying for tube/bus rides one at a time is expensive.
The museums are good. Hampton Court Palace is on the edge of London and well worth a visit.
There's plenty of good beer brewed in London (e.g. Fullers) that you don't have to drink that northern filth

hammers
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I think that stonehenge is a lot further than 60 miles from London, I could be wrong though.

hammers
09-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh and Hampton Court Palace really is well worth the visit, just get there early otherwise you wont have time to see it all, and comfy shoes are a must.

Maxinquaye
09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Stonehenge is near Amesbury (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Stonehenge,+United+Kingdom&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.332616,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=Stonehenge&hnear=Stonehenge,+4+A344,+Salisbury,+Wiltshire+SP4 +7DE,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.150063,-1.753693&spn=0.282121,0.727158&z=11), which is about halfway between Southampton and Bristol.

hammers
09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
OK thank you, it seems a lot further by car, i recently drove past on the way back from Cornwall and it seemed to take forever to get home from there.

waylander
09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Depends on where in London you're starting from.
It is around 75 miles from Hyde Park Corner, it is around 60 miles from the edge of London

waylander
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Stonehenge is near Amesbury (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Stonehenge,+United+Kingdom&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.332616,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=Stonehenge&hnear=Stonehenge,+4+A344,+Salisbury,+Wiltshire+SP4 +7DE,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.150063,-1.753693&spn=0.282121,0.727158&z=11), which is about halfway between Southampton and Bristol.

It is well to the south of the London-Bristol line

kahless
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
If you're driving Stonehenge is on the A303, coming from London you'd pick up the M3 westbound which then becomes the A303.

If you're going to Stonehenge then you might as well pop into Salisbury for a look round it's a great city full of interesting places.

Cliff Face
09-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Funny, we have a Salisbury suburb here in South Australia - it's full of retired people, government housing and just about every week you hear of a stabbing or drive-by-shooting or violent mugging in Salisbury. Of course, it is just about the biggest Suburb in Adelaide, but still... every week?

My grandparents used to live there before I was a teen. One weekend their german shepherd was out in the back yard, which leads out to the fenced-off driveway. Anyway, it's one of those metal-grate fences on rollers, which you can stick your hand through easily. Late on Saturday they went outside and found the dog passed out next to the gate with its tongue lolling out.

They took it to the vets and it turns out someone had poisoned it. Luckily they pumped his stomach and he survived for a good many years after that, but within about 6 months my grandparents had moved suburbs.

I think it's one of those suburbs where if you or someone you know lives there, you've almost certainly heard about despicable deeds.

WEM
09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
But you can get a damn good curry in Slough

You can indeed. And they've got a good airport ....

But at least its not The Fens ....

Shakesbear
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM
London is a HUGE city, it will all depend on when you're arriving and what you're looking to do. You can do touristy things for a week and still not have done half of it.

Confuse the Tourist Time!
The City of London is usually called the Square Mile - because that is all it is. Has its' own police force though. City Of Westminster is sort of next door to the City of London. Both have Lord Mayors. London has its' own Mayor - good ol' BoJo! The rest of London is a huge urban sprawl divided into boroughs and by the Thames.

If you do get to London and are staying check out the travel tickets you can get at TFL (Transport For London) an Oyster card can save a LOT of money on travel!

What? Go to England and drink Irish beer? Newcastle Brown Ale should be a suitable substitute, I suppose.

Try some of the English cyder - especially Aspalls if you can get it!

Like was said before, Stonehenge is a great disappointment.

Stonehenge creeped me out. I will not go back there. Nasty place.

whacko
09-24-2010, 03:15 AM
What's wrong with Slough? Isn't that where Mars Bars come from? A deep-fried delicacy up here. Allegedly.;)

Anninyn
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
(first off, sorry if resurrecting older threads isn't allowed, I didn't want to start a new one if it already existed)

I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth) and I have to say that all you other non-norfolk Brits are just as furren as the proper furreners.

Especially if you come from Suffolk.

Anyway, my deep, abiding viciousness and mockery aside, it's nice to meet you all.

SaraP
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Welcome aboard Anninyn. :welcome:

jilly61
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
:welcome: from a furrener.

Winterturn
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Welcome!

I'm doubly furren, as I live in London and I'm originally from the US.

Anninyn
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome!

I'm doubly furren, as I live in London and I'm originally from the US.

Oh, my. You're pretty much the devil to all the Norfolk Old Boys around here. ;)

latourdumoine
01-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey welcome. I lived in Norfolk for three years, with a French name and an American accent. Always wondered why people started throwing holy water at me when I walked past ;) I think I might have met you at some wedding or other. When Rosie married her cousin and everyone thought she'd broken with local tradition for not marrying her brother.

Seriously, welcome. Seeing your post just really made me miss Norfolk. Keep making plans with my friends to come and visit them again, so we will see. One day soon, hopefully.

ETA: I have a weird history with Norfolk actually. First time I went there, was when I was 12. Great place.

Anninyn
01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey welcome. I lived in Norfolk for three years, with a French name and an American accent. Always wondered why people started throwing holy water at me when I walked past ;) I think I might have met you at some wedding or other. When Rosie married her cousin and everyone thought she'd broken with local tradition for not marrying her brother.

Seriously, welcome. Seeing your post just really made me miss Norfolk. Keep making plans with my friends to come and visit them again, so we will see. One day soon, hopefully.

ETA: I have a weird history with Norfolk actually. First time I went there, was when I was 12. Great place.

Oh, I love it here. Couldn't live anywhere else, not for long at least. Nowhere like it anywhere else.

LawlessLara
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth)

And people in North London :tongue

Hey fellow Brit and South Londoner. I loved the start that the British thread consists mostly of weather and confusing tourists.

Any Welshies in the room??

SaraP
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
*has finally understood what LawlessLara's location means*

:ROFL:

LawlessLara
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
*has finally understood what LawlessLara's location means*

:ROFL:

Mr Flibble
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
What's wrong with Slough?

You've never been, have you?

When the worst thing ever happens to you, you can always say 'At least I'm not in Slough'. Unless you are, in which case, go ahead and cry.

And hi fellow Brits!

TrixieLox
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
When I think of my uni days based near Slough, it isn't Slough that pops into my mind - it's that beautiful town of Staines. Oh how my heart aches for that place...

LawlessLara
01-27-2011, 05:24 PM
.... - it's that beautiful town of Staines...

HAHA oh dear, my abiding memories of Staines consist mostly of the Ali G show and the first time I fell out of a trolley.
ahh
Good times

*smiles to self*

Octopuddle
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
:hi:

The mere mention of Staines brings back a dreadful memory: three hours in a traffic jam absolutely bursting for a pee. Hell in a very small Toyota.

Hello, by the way. First time to the international boards. :) I'm in Devon.

SaraP
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Welcome. :hi:

Anne Lyle
01-27-2011, 07:43 PM
(first off, sorry if resurrecting older threads isn't allowed, I didn't want to start a new one if it already existed)

I'm a Brit, based in Norfolk (or should I say Naaaaaarfulk, and no I don't have webbed toes, that's just people from Yarmouth) and I have to say that all you other non-norfolk Brits are just as furren as the proper furreners.

Especially if you come from Suffolk.

Anyway, my deep, abiding viciousness and mockery aside, it's nice to meet you all.

Hi Anninyn!

Another furrener here - originally from the heart of Sherwood Forest, now living in Cambridge. It's way too flat here for my liking and there are far too few trees, but the architecture is lovely!

eyeblink
01-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Hi there. I'm a lifelong Hampshire resident (though born just over the border in Wokingham, Berks as that's where the nearest maternity hospital was then).

I write short fiction in various genres, DVD/film/book reviews and occasional related articles, and novels (some adult, latterly YA). I'm published in the first two, not published as a novelist...though I am working on it.

Rufus Coppertop
01-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Welcome.

HouseboundWriter
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I’m from Airdrie, Scotland a town that is almost as nice as Bagdād but with a higher crime rate. It’s just outside Glasgow and along with it’s neighbouring town Coatbridge they are collectively known as the Monklands.

EMaree
01-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm from Scotland here as well, up in the Highlands not far from Nessie.

Sometimes I find myself looking forward to the warm summer days, then I remember where I live...

HouseboundWriter
01-30-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm from Scotland here as well, up in the Highlands not far from Nessie.

Sometimes I find myself looking forward to the warm summer days, then I remember where I live...

I played a round up at the Nairn Dunbar Golf Club well I say a round as I recall my friend and I were both about 20 over after 8 holes and were asked to leave. It’s nice up there on the Moray Firth coast.

JHUK
01-30-2011, 01:04 AM
OK thank you, it seems a lot further by car, i recently drove past on the way back from Cornwall and it seemed to take forever to get home from there.

That's because in the UK you can't really count the miles for distance... you have to count the time it takes, instead. Too many little winding two-lane roads where passing isn't possible and one traffic accident, no matter how minor, takes hours to clear for some strange reason.

I live in the outback of East Kent and we have to go around the M25 almost anywhere we go. That takes FOREVER!

Chiquita Banana
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Hiya folks.

I thought this might be a good place to post: I am hoping to form a critique group in London. Really missing the workshop vibe from undergrad... My stuff is women's (not romance, though) and commercial (I hope!) rather than literary.

I was thinking if I could find a few people who were interested, we could meet once a fortnight for a couple of hours at a centrally-located coffeehouse or something, play it by ear, see how it goes. No fee. (That was ALL I could find on Gumtree.)

If anyone's interested, let me know. :)

Chiq

MikeGrant
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Good morning, fellow UK residents! I'm in Bristol. We have the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the SS Great Britain and... er... the most expensive bus service in the country.

Netz
02-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah but no but yeah but ...

It's gert lush 'ere, innit?

(Fellow Bristolian too ;))

SaraP
02-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Welcome to AW, Netz. :welcome:

Netz
02-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Thank you, Sara! :)

Slamhamster
02-04-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm from the sunny climes of Hull. Despite winning the 'Worst City in the UK' Award for past few years it isn't quite as bad as people make out. The missus is from Barnsley, and that place would clinch the title by a country mile if it ever graduates from being a Town.

Contrary to yorksire stereotypes I don't own a ferret or a flat cap. Nor do I wander around with a scrawny whippet on a bit of string.

Well, not very often anyway.

trailerbride
02-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm from Liverpool via Tulse Hill, Leeds, Milan, London, Brighton, Bath, Sherborne, and now Texas. Travel may not have broadened my mind but I've been promised four inches of snow tomorrow. In Texas!

Lillie
02-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Hello UK peeps!

I'm born in London, grew up in Brum, now living in rural Wales.

My bloke's from Hull and I've visited there. I thought it was nice. Interesting with all that maritime history and white telephone boxes.

SaraP
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello to all the new folks. :welcome:

MikeGrant
02-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Yeah but no but yeah but ...

It's gert lush 'ere, innit?

(Fellow Bristolian too ;))

Indeed!

Doobie Cantrip
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi all, I'm a brand spanking new newbie today!
I live in Cheshire (mostly famous for cheese and THE cat) and am going through the painful process of querying my first novel!

Lillie
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Hello, and good luck with your novel.

SaraP
02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Welcome to AW and the International District, Doobie. :welcome:

Doobie Cantrip
02-11-2011, 06:46 PM
SaraP ...was just noseying at your profile and saw you're a doula -I'd love that job, if only i wasn't so bad around blood : )

MikeGrant
02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi all, I'm a brand spanking new newbie today!
I live in Cheshire (mostly famous for cheese and THE cat) and am going through the painful process of querying my first novel!

Welcome to my world. Massive loads of luck with the querying process.

jilly61
02-11-2011, 09:02 PM
:welcome:to all the new folks!

Becky Black
02-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Morning all, I'm from that party city known for its famous brown ale and its football team whose fans think if they could just sack the board the team would win the European cup. Yes, Newcastle upon Tyne. Home of people impervious to cold and the second most incomprehensible accent in the UK behind Glasgow.

I'm not a proper Geordie lass - you can tell this form the fact I'm known to wear a coat when it snows. I suffer from the congenital weakness of have been born in Sunderland you see. But thankfully we moved from there when I was 14 months old so I never got the accent.

Happy Valentine's Day, lads and lasses.

Goldenleaves
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm from the fens :e2teeth:, yes, from a family who've been fen folk for generations.

I lived in the USA for years.

It was great fun at night, watching police helicopter spotlights chasing felons through the streets while we lounged in the hot tub on the roof. But the weather was a wee bit too hot. So I came back home.

Reading the local paper last week, I see someone didn't give back a tenner he'd borrowed. Can you believe it?

The mad criminals in this place - how do I manage to sleep nights?.

Nothing nicer than grey English days with a bit of a drizzle, or lunatic winds batting at you.

Gee I love England. :e2bouncey

Sam K.
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm a Londoner, ashamedly! As much as I've tried to get away from this city, I keep falling back in love with it. Once a Londoner, always one, I think. At least, that's been my experience over the last few years. Even when I could've gone away from university...

This city is a cruel mistress.

Nice to meet some fellow Britons, particularly those who write!

SaraP
02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome to AW and the International District, Sam. :welcome:

BBB
02-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I thought this thread might be a perfect place to publicise The Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards (www.thewsa.co.uk (http://www.thewsa.co.uk)), the first independent book award based in the UK and run by an author.

If you get a chance, check it out.

Cheers!

crunchyblanket
03-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Hello, fellow Brits! Nice to see so many from our fair isles here.

Her Dark Star
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Yay for the uk. Used to live in London but did manage to break it's deathly grip. Do miss it though.... it's so great for inspiring writing!

Carmy
03-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Hello to everyone on this thread. There's nothing to compare with a 'good old British ragging'. Happy writing and publishing.

I'm originally from Wales. I've lived in various places in England, like Bristol, London and Liverpool. Maybe I should start a "Welsh Language" thread because I can still speak it after many years in Canada.

D.M.White
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Hello! :hi: Another UKer here.

I live in Birmingham but hoping to move to Leeds soon.

Nice to 'meet' some UK authors :)

SaraP
03-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the International District, D.M. :welcome:

Lapinou
03-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi

I'm from Gloucestershire. I found a local writers' group but have been put off by the fact the title says 'Writer's Group' - I'm way too pedantic for them I think! :-D

Steve Collins
04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi everybody, former Scotland Yard Londoner here, although I've lived in Florida for the past 11 years I still consider myself a Brit.

SaraP
04-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi, Lapinou, Steve. :hi:

skylark
04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm currently living near Oxford, but I grew up in a sleepy little town about an hour from Hereford :)

SaraP
04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Welcome, skylark. :welcome:

louloubelle
04-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi! Am also a newbie from Glasgow/the highlands/englandshire (long story, I blame the parents) and im glad I found the other Brits!! And i love the fact that the weather is the first thing you read about... I had this exact conversation with an american priest i met on a train recently!! Maybe one of my stories should start there...

SaraP
04-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Welcome aboard, louloubelle. :hi:

Stu1883
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Hello all - fellow Brit here, from God's Own City of Bristol. These boards are very wide ranging aren't they? Hope to see you around

Stu1883
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I’m from Airdrie, Scotland a town that is almost as nice as Bagdād but with a higher crime rate. It’s just outside Glasgow and along with it’s neighbouring town Coatbridge they are collectively known as the Monklands.

Had a stay up in Coatbridge a few years ago. Without being rude, it is not the nicest place I have ever stayed.

Jonathan Dalar
04-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Welcome, Brits! I do say I've had some wonderful times partying with some of your countrymen in my travels over the years.

I have a lot of favorite... uh, favourite British authors. Hopefully we'll see a few more come out of our ranks here.

Oh, and London totally rocks!

Snitchcat
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey everyone. Formerly in the UK. I live elsewhere now, obviously but may be making my way there again soon.

mistri
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I'm from the UK too and have been here a while but have only just started posting again after a bit of a break. Live in Hertfordshire right now, but from Merseyside, went to uni in London, lived in Bath for a bit, then went to Herts. Phew!

Tanydwr
04-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi

I'm from Gloucestershire. I found a local writers' group but have been put off by the fact the title says 'Writer's Group' - I'm way too pedantic for them I think! :-D

Lapinou - I would have had exactly the same reaction!

I've been at AW for ages, but never visited this forum until today. Born in Wales, moved to Yorkshire aged 7, to Cheshire (countryside, edge of the Peak District, not far from Manchester) aged 11, went to Cardiff University, then headed back to Cheshire. And don't get me started on my wonderful collection of Celtic ancestors - I think I'm only missing some Gaulish ones!

kjarva
04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello from me as well! I'm in the UK in High Wycombe, about 30 miles outside of London. Would love to know of any writing groups in or near my area if anyone knows of any! :)

natea
04-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Hi there everyone. I've been a lurker on the boards for a while but just getting up the nerve to post now. I hail from Liverpool although I did live in Wales for three years a while ago (and would go back in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity). Nowhere else in the world can you ride a train through a tunnel cut into a mountain, with cliffs on one side of you and a raging sea on the other. Good times!

C.J.Lindsay
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi all, I'm in Dunfermline, Scotland, though have lived in Perth, Edinburgh, Taiwan and Aberdeenshire, working back the way.

Kennetht04
04-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi There

Had a look through couldn't see that there was a UK thread (Mods - if there is please delete/merge this thread).

I'm based in Somerset in Southern England (the bit down a bit from Bristol, to the right of Devon and far left from London).

Hello from the UK also :)

I live in the sunny (I say sunny -.-) borough of Salford, Manchester .

milkymoon
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Greetings from ridiculously sunny England. Can't believe how wonderful the weather has been for the last two weeks.

I'm from Brighton and it's another glorious day here.

x

Steph King
05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi from Watford.

waylander
05-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Always good to have more Brits on board

Saffron
06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi to my fellow UKers. I'm in gorgeous Devon, originally from Nottingham with Brighton thrown in along the way.

MisterFrancis
06-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Hullo and How Do from Derbyshire.

Fallen
06-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Huh...we have a UK thread...lol

Well hullo from us slow 'n's in Staffordshire.

Allaboutwords13
06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm in East Anglia. It's nice to find others from the UK too :) You understand my phrasing hehe

alegory
07-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm in East Anglia. It's nice to find others from the UK too :) You understand my phrasing hehe

Hi from the Midlands, everyone.

waylander
07-04-2011, 02:30 PM
On July 19th 18.30-20.30, the T-Party Writers Group is running a 'Meet the Agent' event with literary agent Meg Davis at The George, Strand (opposite the Law Courts). We are throwing this open to AWers though we will charge £5 towards the cost of the room

LadyA
07-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Hello to all you newbies from the depths of the Devon countryside! Oh and hi to Saffron, fellow Devonian - get on you janner and all that (yes, I'm from Plymouth, and no, I don't know any more Devonian slang ;) ) xx

helga
07-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi from Barnsley

SLake
07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Lol, the UK. I'm an immigrant from Australia - wtf am I doing here?? First thing I'm usually asked after intros.

I love the rain, the cold, autumns - my English wife, and the English people most of all... well usually, but meh no one's perfect.

So hello UK everyone great to see you're here!!!

squeaky pram
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Hmmmm... beautiful, sunny Brighton, Devon, East Anglia, etc? Harumph!!

Hello from the Grim North! No, I'm not a real Geordie, but it seems to be my current occupation!

envision
07-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Hmmmm... beautiful, sunny Brighton, Devon, East Anglia, etc? Harumph!!

Hello from the Grim North! No, I'm not a real Geordie, but it seems to be my current occupation!

What part of the North? I went to school in Sunderland and I adopted a guest family near Durham :). I'm not originally from northern England, but it seemed quite friendly when I was living there.

P.S. I don't think I would ever be able to understand the Geordie dialect. I tried asking a Geordie store clerk if they had pans and the only word I could understand was "no".

caspermac
07-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm from Highlands of Scotland and it's true about the weather, we have 25*C at the moment. Mind you at the beginning of April we had sun, rain and hailstones in the space of two hours.

squeaky pram
07-29-2011, 08:06 PM
What part of the North? I went to school in Sunderland and I adopted a guest family near Durham :). I'm not originally from northern England, but it seemed quite friendly when I was living there.

P.S. I don't think I would ever be able to understand the Geordie dialect. I tried asking a Geordie store clerk if they had pans and the only word I could understand was "no".

Hi envision. I'm in Northumberland. Lived in Newcastle upon Tyne for a while but have moved even norther (Yes, it's a word! Believe it! Love it!).

I see that you were once a Maccam, which means that officially I have to hate you. Sorry. Never been to Sunderland, but I love Durham!

The Geordie accent: After over five years here, I can only understand about every ten words my father-in-law says! When I first arrived I thought everyone was speaking Dutch! Of course, I'm particularly challenged, being American and all. Yes, I admit it! :D

Which part are you from? Of the southerly bits, I've visited Norwich, Bath, London, Devon and Cornwall. Loved them all!

squeaky pram
07-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm from Highlands of Scotland and it's true about the weather, we have 25*C at the moment.

Jeesh! Even the Highlands are warm! :cry:

BigWords
07-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Scotland is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment. I have sunburn to prove this...

squeaky pram
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Scotland is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment. I have sunburn to prove this...

Yes, thank you. Just rub it in! :D

LadyA
07-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Devon's been dreary for weeks, but now finally it's sunny and boiling hot. Good news for the holidaymakers, who are piling into nearby Salcombe, but bad news for us yokels who live here, stuck in traffic behind lots of shiny 4x4s and about 500 caravans in a row!

waylander
07-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi envision. I'm in Northumberland. Lived in Newcastle upon Tyne for a while but have moved even norther (Yes, it's a word! Believe it! Love it!).

Where are you?
My writing group (with 4/5 AWers) is doing a writing week up that way at the end of August

JenniferB
07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone - American here, crashing the thread, but I am a UK resident. I live near Leeds and it was the same temperature (23), all day long, two days in a row. And it wasn't windy. Almost makes me forget last winter.

I thought North Yorkshire accent took getting used to, then I worked with a Geordie, and I didn't understand a word. Thought it was my American ears, but none of my English co-workers could understand him, either. So bizarre to know you're hearing your mother tongue, but still find it incomprehensible. That was rough. Nice kid, though. I think.

aruna
07-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello to all UK newbies! I live in Eastbourne, soon to be moving to High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) and Germany.... figure that one out, if you can!

Today nice and sunny, and it's off to the beach with a book for me.

Deb Kinnard
07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
My shell was born and lives in Chicago. My heart was born in Cornwall. I get across the Pond as often as I can. I won't be coming "home" again until '14, when we attend the WorldCon in the newly rebuilt Docklands area. Friends in Watford, Exmouth and points further north.

lauralam
08-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm a Californian who stupidly fled the sunshine and moved to Aberdeen, Scotland. My husband's Aberdonian. I'm feeling particularly homesick this 'summer'.

caspermac
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6380844#post6380844)

Yes, thank you. Just rub it in! :D

Well if it makes you feel better it's not stopped raining all day, we've probably had about 2" of rain today and right now it feels like december.

BigWords
08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm a Californian who stupidly fled the sunshine and moved to Aberdeen, Scotland. My husband's Aberdonian. I'm feeling particularly homesick this 'summer'.

What kinds of temperatures are you getting up there?

Well if it makes you feel better it's not stopped raining all day, we've probably had about 2" of rain today and right now it feels like december.

Heh. It's raining here, but it's still warm enough to leave the heating off...

caspermac
08-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Heh. It's raining here, but it's still warm enough to leave the heating off...

I'm tempted to break out the thermals and if i had a coal fire it would be on. What part of the country are you from?

BigWords
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Currently I'm stuck in Fife. There is more black clouds rolling in, but at the moment the temperature is relatively stable.

I would be tempted to say i want to go back to London, but... Yeah.

*glares at television news*

caspermac
08-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I would be tempted to say i want to go back to London, but... Yeah.

Aye, give me dour weather over that any day. Co-op at lunch time's the closest I get to a riot.

sally_laramie
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Hello fellower UKers. I'm from North Wales originally, Wrexham to be exact but am currently living in London Colney, Hertfordshire with my fiance as there's no work in North Wales and he's from down here. x

lauralam
08-11-2011, 02:01 AM
It's been 10-13C recently. I wore my winter coat today. Managed to leave the heating off, but that's only because we're in the top floor flat and those below us turned their heating on...;) I'm in grey Aberdeen.

spacejock2
08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I've lived in Australia since 1983, but I was born in Croydon and grew up in West Wickham with my parents & younger brother - at least until we emigrated to Spain in the 70's.

All my memories of the UK are stuck in a timewarp. When I watch shows like Minder, the Sweeney and Life on Mars, that's pretty much how I remember things.

Long live 2p Beanos and Mars Bars for 10p ...

Macca
10-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Hello, I'm in Liverpool (northern England) and as we hurtle towards mid-October, we've still to put the heating on, or indeed put on a fire this year. Very mild but raining a great deal.

Ladyillusion7
10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm from London, Uk. I hope everyone's had a good day and looking forward to a good weekend.

Jupiter
10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in Norfolk UK :D.

For the benefit of international visitors, British Summer 2012 is scheduled for the 2nd Tuesday in June.;)

If wet, Wednesday.

SaraP
10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
A big sunny and warm hello to all the newbies here. :welcome:

jaeladarling
11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm a Scotland wannabe. :D Currently stuck in the USA. My mom's side of the family hails from all over the UK, with my great-grandfather being the most recent immigrant (he moved to Canada from Bath, England, then came to the US).

Just popping in to say HI to everyone across the pond!

LawlessLara
11-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Hi all

I am not even sure this is the right thread but here goes anyhoo. Any NaNo-ers who fancy a write and a drink and based in south Lonfon. I (and some others) am planning a pub write in the Blithe Spirit round 2pm, this Sunday. Its really near the Balham tube station and 249, 155 (and some others I cant remember) bus stops. If any one fancies coming down it would be great to meet some more people.

Lara

MissTannen
11-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Heya! I was born in Reading, lived there, London and in Germany and now I am happily settled (for now) in Wiltshire! Near the Somerset border, though. Love it!

EMaree
11-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Hello again all you lovely Brits! I'm from the Scottish Highlands, we've currently got gale force winds and there was snow for a few hours on Friday. :)

totopink
01-12-2012, 06:37 AM
OP I'm from the South West as well. Not quite in the county of somerset but in the next county along.

Snitchcat
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I live in Norfolk UK :D.

For the benefit of international visitors, British Summer 2012 is scheduled for the 2nd Tuesday in June.;)

If wet, Wednesday.

What happens if it rains all week? :tongue

Btw, summer never seems to fully reach London, or at least, it never truly did while I was there (for several years). Heh.

song_of_calliope
01-13-2012, 11:55 PM
And another welcome from the Highlands.

EMaree, which county are you in? I'm in Caithness. I bet I'm the furthest north of the UK forumites!

Andelana
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Hello, all! I'm living near Cambridge. Nice to meet you! :)

llamafarmer
01-16-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm not completely British (loooooooong story) but somehow I ended up living here. Would love to get to know any other British-based writers, so don't hesitate to PM me and feed my flagging ego lol. And yes, I did write this at nearly 5am UK time. I'll be going to work on 2 hours sleep, yay!

Mumut
01-27-2012, 04:37 PM

When I first came to Australia I worked on Lake Nash Station, a cattle property half the size of Wales situated just north of the Simpson Desert. It rained twice the year I was there. I think that was the only time I missed English weather to some extent. Later I worked 13 years in Papua New Guinea, a few degrees from the equator. Now I consider 20 degrees celsius to be the lowest temperature suitable for human survival and anything below that is definitely pullover weather. But this time last year and again in the last few days I've been cut off by flood waters and I'm tending away from UK weather again.

miss sooky
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Hello, I am all shiny and new. I live in London and am looking forward to 'meeting' and talking to members from near and far.

Not Solomon Brown
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi,
I'm from Cornwall. That's Cornwall in Cornwall - not Canada.

j. Adams
02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Well, I'm in Canterbury right now (For the next 2 years) were I'm completing my studies.

It actually snowed here yesterday. (Pretty freaky weather for South-East England)

SaraP
02-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Ooooh, so many newbies! :welcome:

Titan Orion
02-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Welcome newcomers! Im semi-new also, I made an account a few years ago and only made a few posts, then came back recently.

Lancashire ftw!

Andelana
02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Lancashire ftw!

Well, you do have nice sausages... heheh :)

DPreston
02-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

I'm from near Blackpool. I'm in the same position as Titan, I made an account back in 2009 but only started posting in the last week.

SaraP
02-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Welcome back, then. :welcome:

jdwhitelaw
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Hello and greeting from sunny Glasgow!

Just joined the board after recommendations from friends and other posters here.

Looking forward to getting to know everybody and contributing.

JDW

JohnBlack
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Hello from Lincolnshire - ‘The most brute and beastly of my shires’ as Henry VIII said!

LadyA
02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
:welcome: Hello newcomers!

I'm from Devon - oooooaaarrrrrrr maid!

Lucia
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi I'm a fellow UKer and newbie to AW!

BlueFox
03-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Hello from Cardiff!

mae'n plesur i cwrdd a chi gyd! (it's nice to meet you all!)

GreenSquares
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I'll join in as well, if that's okay. Hi from Notts. Nice to meet you all.

Harmony
03-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi from sunny Sussex :)

Prince Vega
03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome!

Dozmonic
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Hi folks, I see a few people not too far from here (Bristol) o/

anguswalker
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Is it worth creating a 'Social group'? It does seem that many things about the UK publishing industry (not to mention UK tastes) are different from their US counterparts and it might be good to be able to exchange experiences/tips/contacts.

Dozmonic
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
And a US -> UK vocab reference. I'll get it started :-)

I'm assuming MG = Middle Grade which in Smiths and Waterstones you'll see as the 8-12 age range, generally

anguswalker
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
OK chaps. Made a group. Join it at UK Writers (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/group.php?groupid=95)
Might be useful.

amnhmama
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm from an even smaller group: Yank expat living outside of Durham.

And while the four hours of daylight in January were a little hard to take, those long summer evenings are a gift from the weather gods.

Now if I could only link up with a writers group, life would be good. (Okay, a writers group and a Trader Joes...)

retromovie
05-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Me too.

waylander
05-11-2012, 10:47 PM
We are long overdue another UK AWer meet up

onesecondglance
05-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Best thing about this thread is finding out who else will understand UK cultural references ;)

I'm writing an SF novel based in near-future Bath. That's right, sleepy old Bath is going to become a tech hub, just you wait and see...

ElsieTanner
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Best thing about this thread is finding out who else will understand UK cultural references ;)

I'm writing an SF novel based in near-future Bath. That's right, sleepy old Bath is going to become a tech hub, just you wait and see...

Sounds cool - will the Royal Crescent open up Thunderbirds style??

What's everyone else writing? I'm writing a young adult time travel novel set in the 1930s. Probable audience: Me. And my Mum. Sigh...

Artifex
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi all. I just popped in to take a look at this thread. I was born in Finland, and I currently live in California, but I used to live in London for a bit about 4 years ago. I really love London and I'm looking forward to my research trip there sometime in the not too distant future. :)

onesecondglance
05-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Sounds cool - will the Royal Crescent open up Thunderbirds style??

Ha ha, not quite, although I do have a shootout there towards the end! Plus a massacre in the Abbey. Great research trip that was, me wandering around the place making notes of where the bodies would fall...

SaraP
05-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello to all the new folks! :welcome:

Mr Flibble
05-17-2012, 10:56 PM
We are long overdue another UK AWer meet up

It has been a while hasn't it? Besides, I owe Seun a pint.

seun
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
It has been a while hasn't it? Besides, I owe Seun a pint.

I told you. I'll get you a half a mild when I'm rich and famous.

BryanSerwatka
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Hello from Leeds!

rubyhoney
05-20-2012, 05:39 PM
And another hello from London!
I'm from Yorkshire by birth, but - risky though it is to admit it - feel more at home in London these days. (Another northern exile friend claims this is "the love that dare not speak its name".)

Once!
05-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Welcome! I'm originally from Nottinghamshire/ South Yorkshire but now hiding in Surrey.

Viklit
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
A newbie and a Londoner! Quite enjoyed the 4 day Jubilee weekend I must say. Now it'll be all Olympics madness....

Tasha
06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Oooh a UK thread. I'm from Scotland myself. About 2 hours drive from all the hills :)

Viklit
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Oooh a UK thread. I'm from Scotland myself. About 2 hours drive from all the hills :)
Beautiful Scotland! The boyf is from Glasgow so we visit when we can. Lucky you being near the lovely hills!

Tasha
06-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Beautiful Scotland! The boyf is from Glasgow so we visit when we can. Lucky you being near the lovely hills!

Don't get to go there that often but me and the fiancée do have a vacation planned in july. It's basically a writing retreat in the hills for us both lol.

Also it's not very pretty when it rains or the wildlife decide to chase you. lol

Pip H
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice to see a UK thread (with so many pages D: XD )

I'm originally from Chester, but now live in Halifax, West Yorkshire.
(Loving the Yorkshire accent up here, everyone sounds so friendly!)

Love travelling around the UK, though mainly the big cities, it certainly changes things up a bit. (Love Manchester, Birmingham, London...going to big places and potentially getting lost is kinda fun lol)

Tinkerbelll
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Welcome!

Deb Kinnard
06-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Pip H, I'm from the western side of the Pond but I just sold a book set near Chester -- in 973.

Pip H
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
973? Is it about King Edgar by any chance? :)
(I'm usually not too big on Cestrian history aside from the Roman walls and things like that...I wonder if it was still called Deva in 973...)

Chester has such a rich history, and it's still seen around the town centre, it's quite a beautiful place. (Maybe I'm biased as it's my hometown though lol)

Thanks for the welcome ~

PineMarten
06-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm also in the UK, specifically Oxford. I just came back after just over six years in Japan, so I'm relearning British culture. Sure rains a lot... :)

sarahdalton
06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Hello! I'm originally from Matlock in Derbyshire but moved up to the big city (errr... Sheffield) for Uni.

Any Matlockers/Sheffielders out there?

sprogspasser
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi. Just joined these august boards. Based in London. Well Greater London (what previously used to Middlesex). Debate from time to time, with my London walks friend what should be on the fourth plinth. The ship in the bottle was quite good. Not too sure about the rocking horse.

Don't know about mild but can certainly recommend the wheat beer at Chandos (usually followed by a sea food dinner at Wonkey). The first sip of the amber liquid always reminds me of bubble gum.

T_A_Ashcroft
06-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Hello from Surrey. :hi:

astrodragon
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Hello from the wilds of Oxfordshire.:)

zahra
06-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Time I said Hello!

I'm in West London when not in Florida. Unfortunately not much Florida-ing these days, but yay for Chiswick!:)

Bmwhtly
06-29-2012, 05:24 AM
The Land Of The Northern Tribes acknowledges that we cannot get to your gathering, but we appreciate the gesture.

hammers
06-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I am from Essex/Greater London.

Transatlantic
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I live in central London (after years in the scruffier parts of zone 2).

I'm spending this week at the Swanwick Writers' Summer School in Derbyshire -- anyone else?

FYI, the talks are pretty good, and the people very friendly (though it's all a bit overwhelming for someone used to working alone at home every day!).

truemay
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I have just joined.
Hello to all.

Barking Tree
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Just joined from Staffordshire. According to the signposts, it's the 'Creative County' but at the moment I would personally beg to differ. Hey wait! "It was a dark and stormy night..." - that's a great opening line! Now I'm rolling...

EMaree
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Lovely to see some new members joining from Scotland, I'm up in the Highlands. :)

PenTeller
09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Another from Oxfordshire! Originally from the US, and was hesitant about chipping in on this board, but it looks like I'm here to stay now so thought I'd say hello!

On the topic of writing, could someone point me to any threads about agenting/publishing that are UK-specific? I'm trying to get a feel for the UK market vs the US. Cheers!

waylander
09-02-2012, 12:09 AM
UK agent listing http://www.wcauk.com/home.php?page_id=42

BigWords
09-02-2012, 02:51 AM
You are one of us now. You'll never escape...

*ominous Latin chanting rises, and candles begin flickering*

Gareth JJ
09-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi. All... :welcome: I'm a Brit, living in Berlin. All the best to everyone here. Cheers!

tanzmusik
09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Hello all. I'm from a place so Northern it's often mistaken for Hyperborea, but it's actually just Sunderland.

I see that you were once a Maccam, which means that officially I have to hate you. Sorry.

The word is "Mackem", by the way, though many here actually hate the term. The forced hatred between Sunderland and Newcastle is the most tedious thing about living here, in my opinion.

caspermac
09-20-2012, 08:01 PM
It's turned cold now up here in the Highlands of Scotland. I think winter is officially upon us. We had a good summer but I blinked and missed the autumn.

Snitchcat
09-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Heya, everyone!

I'm in the UK for a few days. Anyone fancy an impromptu meet-up in London?

Date: 28 September 2012
Day: Friday
Time: 12-ish

Exact Spot: Coffee shop just outside the front of the station (should be Costa Coffee, but it's on the right hand side or so).

Currently Going: Jimmy & Snitchcat.

If anyone has the time and would like to join us, please reply to this message, or PM me with contact details. :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread / PMs till Friday morning 8am local time. (I need to get to the station, too. :tongue)

Struthio
09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Hello all. Another Londoner here. Originally an Essex girl (no towie jokes, please!), I'm now rather at home on the other side of the M25.

Dr Strange
09-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Me = one of you.

+ a Londoner.

Leesha
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Hello Everyone i'm from Milton Keynes :-)

JimmyB27
10-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Small world - so am I. :)

Are you doing Nano this year? There's an event in the library on the 1st November, and then write-ins every Saturday of the month.

Leesha
10-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Small world - so am I. :)

Are you doing Nano this year? There's an event in the library on the 1st November, and then write-ins every Saturday of the month.

Wow Really? It is a small world. No I haven't heard of it, mind filling me in? I'm all new with this lol.

What do you write?

L

JimmyB27
10-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Nano is NaNoWriMo (http://nanowrimo.org/), or National Novel Writing Month. It's really international now, but started in the US. The goal is to write a novel of fifty thousand words in one month.

I write fantasy, some of it spoofy and quite silly, some of it quite sensible.

Leesha
10-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow i never knew about it. I'll check out the link, thanks.

I write fantasy too. Have you posted any of your work on here?

JimmyB27
10-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Not here, but there's a little of the silly in the link in my sig. :)

Leesha
10-16-2012, 01:13 AM
I'll check it out. I'd like to see the local competition lol :)

midnightwriter
10-16-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm a Brit at heart. My novels are set in Cornwall, I go to England at least once a year, have to have my Brit fix, you know.

Leesha
10-16-2012, 02:49 PM
good choice Cornwall is beautiful. Do you get yourself a Cornish Pasty lol

@ JimmyB27 - I have been laughing at your first episode especially when he was saying about his money back guarantee - haha - i like it.

JimmyB27
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
good choice Cornwall is beautiful. Do you get yourself a Cornish Pasty lol
Cornwall is a lovely place. And don't eat any pasty other than a fresh one from Cornwall.

@ JimmyB27 - I have been laughing at your first episode especially when he was saying about his money back guarantee - haha - i like it.
Thanks. :) I actually thought that bit was the weakest bit. Shows what I know. :tongue
My Nano project is a spin off from that story, incidentally. :)

Leesha
10-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Cornwall is a lovely place. And don't eat any pasty other than a fresh one from Cornwall.

Thanks. :) I actually thought that bit was the weakest bit. Shows what I know. :tongue
My Nano project is a spin off from that story, incidentally. :)

Really? The way it is written, I can see him as he gives the guy the receipt lol, all panicky. I actually felt for the guy. The humor is good.

Shinkicker
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Hello from Edinburgh, although I'm from Glasgow. Hope you are all having a great weekend so far :)

Richard Shury
11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Heya! I am originally from New Zealand but have been in a the UK for seven years now, mostly in London. I think it can be hard being half the world away, but there are definitely a lot more opportunities here, both in writing and elsewhere. Although, as e-publishing gets bigger, I think that balance will alter.

Mr Kal
11-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey, I'm from Birmingham but currently living in Leicester.

SaraP
11-12-2012, 02:44 AM
A big Welcome to the International District to the new folks. :hi:

TomW22
11-14-2012, 05:13 PM

Same here! Two Mile Ash specifically.