PDA

View Full Version : How to dry a book?

LOG
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
It's not soaked, but it did get a good wetting from a downpour I was forced through today. The corner of every page is wet to about an inch in.

Right now my plan consists of standing it on the cover edges and hoping the pages will separate out to dry.

Any better ideas?

Cliff Face
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Wrap it in aluminium foil and stick it in the oven.

Or does that only work in Black Books?

ETA: Not to be attempted if you suffer from Dave's Syndrome. ;)

kayleamay
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Hair dryer. Set it on the counter with something to anchor it. Set the book out so the pages are leaved (leafed?). Leave it on high for about 10 minutes. The pages will be a little bit crinkly, but everything should be legible.

Geez, you'd think I'd done this a time or ten.

defyalllogic
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM
i think at work they used dehumidifiers after flooding.

Shadow_Ferret
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Zip lock bag it and then overnight in the freezer.

Won't know it happened =)

Really? But where does the water go? Wouldn't you just end up with a frozen book?

LOG
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Really? But where does the water go? Wouldn't you just end up with a frozen book?

<<Wondering that also.

LOG
09-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, it's finally dry, they decided to turn on the heaters in the building so I was able to use those at last.

Of course, it's still crumpled because of the water, and the corner is thicker then the rest of the book.
The ruining of perfect symmetry in books hurts me for some reason...of course, it is a hard cover so that might have something to do with it. I'm especially protective of my hardcovers. I still don't know WTH they didn't make this thing an e-book, that would have neatly prevented this...

brainstorm77
09-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Set its pages in hot rollers on a low setting.

Adam
09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Don't iron it. I tried that once. Crinkled the crap out of it. :(

Ken
09-09-2010, 02:06 AM
... if you microwave it keep an eye on it while it cooks. I once tried drying out Mansfield Park in this way after it fell in the sink and all the edges of the pages got burnt and turned brown. The pages also puffed up so that the book looked like a hill. Still went on to read and enjoy it.

LOG
09-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Set its pages in hot rollers on a low setting.
:Wha:
I'm failing to grasp the physical dimensions of what you just said.

Smish
09-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Sit it in front of a space heater. It'll be a bit crinkled, but that's okay. :)