Need advice from mixed families

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Okay my husband is a Christian and I am posting on this thread which means I am not. No big problems there, we are both cool with each other. I have a one year old and want to do a welcoming ceremony (I'm not wiccan, but it's all I can find.) He wants to do a traditional baptism. Anyone with kids ever deal with this issue?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
Okay my husband is a Christian and I am posting on this thread which means I am not. No big problems there, we are both cool with each other. I have a one year old and want to do a welcoming ceremony (I'm not wiccan, but it's all I can find.) He wants to do a traditional baptism. Anyone with kids ever deal with this issue?
I'm not Wiccan either, so I know what you are talking about. Hubby is Pagan, though, so that makes things a lot easier. Why not do both?

My thoughts have always been to allow my boys to have access to every bit of information they possibly can so that they will be able to make educated choices for themselves. I think I have an idea of the ceremony you are talking about and I personally can't see how it could be anything but positive! What a fortunate child to have both parents even care about her religious upbringing. A lot of parents don't give it a second thought and only take the buggers to service twice a year - Easter & Christmas.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, I have no idea why I said "her" when referring to your baby. That's just what popped into my head

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is that I wouldn't let anyone push me into baptizing my kids when they were babies. I don't understand that at all. To me religion isn't something you're born into, but something you chose. So I made my family back off and told them when my babes were old enough to research and find their OWN religion...then and only then would they be baptized.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
storygirl said:
All I can say is that I wouldn't let anyone push me into baptizing my kids when they were babies. I don't understand that at all. To me religion isn't something you're born into, but something you chose. So I made my family back off and told them when my babes were old enough to research and find their OWN religion...then and only then would they be baptized.
I can completely see your point, chicka. I was just thinking that if both of them were equally accepting of eachother's views and both wanted some type of ceremony for their child, then I would think it would be fine to do both.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the tips. It can never hurt to bless a child. If I could bless her in everyway possible, I would. Carole, I am curious now. Sara? You have yet to weigh in.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
You said you aren't wiccan and hinted to the benefits of being a closet witch. Just curious as to what variety you are.

I'm an old fashioned earth witch but I guess the new term for that is Elemental Magic Practitioner...wow that's a mouthfull. I beielve in the gods. All of them. If a people found their god worth worshiping then who am I to say they were wrong?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
You said you aren't wiccan and hinted to the benefits of being a closet witch. Just curious as to what variety you are.

I'm an old fashioned earth witch but I guess the new term for that is Elemental Magic Practitioner...wow that's a mouthfull. I beielve in the gods. All of them. If a people found their god worth worshiping then who am I to say they were wrong?

Wow...a kindred spirit! I have studied many religions and gleaned from them what works for me. I am definitely of the Earth Child variety. I believe in all Gods, but I also believe all are one. It only makes sense to me that someone from another culture would NOT use the same name as me. That's a bit arrogant, doncha think? I believe individual religions developed from the needs and cultures of their particular area of the world. Then again, most Western religions do tend to lean toward arrogance. Not necessarily in doctrine but rather in actual practice.

Sooo...Elemental Magick! Now that's interesting! I'm a Kitchen Witchcraftikin chick. (That's the title of my series)