PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to cinema?

maxmordon
09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
First off, I guess this is not the place to discuss this, but Office Party feels out of place and Conquering Challenges seems a bit too extreme.

Do you think it's possible to be addicted to cinema and fiction in general? A very dear friend of mine whom I sadly had an argument with alleged this with me, claiming a bit of escapism in life is not bad but mine was too much and affected my behavior and relationship with others.

I really don't know what to say, I do have a very large DVD collection and simply love cinema, for me, it's almost magical to see this mural, this little universe where everything converges to tell a story...

What do you think? Is cinephilia something to worry about?

childeroland
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
As long as it doesn't adversely affect your behavior and relationships, cinephilia is certainly no vice.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
In what way is it effecting your relationships?

I love escapism myself. Love reading. Love watching old movies. Listening to old time radio. Watching old television shows. *shrugs*

Just view it as a hobby. Many people have hobbies. Do people complain if someone spends too much time collecting stamps or coins? Or if they relax by building models or crocheting blankets? Not usually. What hobby does your friend have?

kuwisdelu
09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
My anime addiction is only troublesome for how expensive it's getting.

childeroland
09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
^This.

Toothpaste
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I think if your friends suggest your behaviour changes with them and that your relationships are in trouble because of your love of film, then yes, there could be a sincere problem. A person can be addicted to anything, and if it affects how they interact with the real world then it is something worth investigating. I think it's interesting how you can so simply dismiss the concerns of your friends with, "I dunno, I like movies". That alone concerns me as your love of movies really ought to be secondary to the relationships with the people you care about.

Look, I get it. Movies are definitely my drug of choice, they are my ultimate escape. But if I ever thought they were preventing me from experiencing real things, that I couldn't function without watching one, or if any of my friends approached me saying that they felt our relationship was in jeopardy because of my watching movies, then I would take swift action.

Why don't you have a real conversation with your friends about this, instead of getting defensive and into an argument. Ask what about your personality/behaviour changes, ask what is different about your relationship with them. Obviously something is wrong for them to have brought it up.

maxmordon
09-07-2010, 06:10 AM
To get some perspective, we had a bit of an argument over going out and she's currently mad at me. She considers I have issues fuctioning within the society since I have led a very overprotected and sheltered life (something I cannot deny) and that since I have very few real life experiences it's hard to me to interact accordingly to the rest of the people, usually hiding behind electronic, mostly written, means. For quite a while she suspected I had some kind of autism, though I deeply suspect her studies of psychology may influence her seeing everything as part of an ill, who knows...

She has said she has wanted to talk to me about it for a while, but prefers, and I quote, to leave me see for myself how precarious is my situation; and even though she has never read anything I have written, she suspects characters must be very flat because of it.

By the way, as far as I know, she doesn't have any hobbies, but she says she has a bit too much of an addictive personality and prefers not to, perhaps she's projecting something unto me? Though this is not the first time someone who deeply loves me comments that I use films, literature and the internet to hide from my social troubles, to hide from the world, to hide from myself.

maxmordon
09-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Last night I talked with my friend and she apologized of what she commented, saying it was mostly out of spite, she also added that it was thanks to me that she has started to observe cinema not as mere entertainment but as a way to express art and appreciate it as such...

Mission accomplished, I guess. :)

Nonetheless, this also touches topics I have mentioned and worry me, you know, the feel more and more than cinema and fiction is more real than actual reality. Or perhaps I am going too much Videodrome/Serial Experiment Lain with this.

Diana Hignutt
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
You're a writer (and proabably a hopeless romantic), of course you can't stand what passes for reality these days.

projectaero
09-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I am a huge fan of film, if i ever become a great writer i will then go into directing, but nothing wrong with it.
You go for the experience, the sound, its something new and fresh.
Compared to watching it at home on dvd.
So i say go as much as you can

maxmordon
09-11-2010, 07:22 AM
It's interesting to see all the different opinions about it, but what makes it interesting is that perhaps this is the first time we're able to consume fiction at such pace and variety and holds such a well-regarded place in our civilizations.

kuwisdelu
09-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Nonetheless, this also touches topics I have mentioned and worry me, you know, the feel more and more than cinema and fiction is more real than actual reality. Or perhaps I am going too much Videodrome/Serial Experiment Lain with this.

Nah, you're just breaking down the barrier between reality and the Wired.

Oh wait...

Lady Ice
09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm a total cinephile, bibliophile, and er...theatrephile. I'm very shy too but real life experiences will help me to appreciate all three much more. Unfortunately, life is not a movie...

eyeblink
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Escapism is just one reason. Another is that I feel that I am still learning about all areas of cinema. One particular area of interest, going back thirty years or so, is Australian cinema - I have a pretty big collection now of films from that country, often blind-bought on DVD because I wouldn't have been able to see them otherwise.

I write DVD reviews (over 800 of them now) for another site, and I think that every film I see (good, bad, or indifferent) increases my knowledge base and makes me a better reviewer.

Same goes for books (I review them now and again too). Less so the theatre, which I do enjoy but only go to occasionally.

mathew1204
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
It is possible to be addicted to films it just depends on the passion you have for movies and your interest to go the extra mile.