Let's hear it for Solar Energy!! (not)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Yes, let's "hear it." Read here.

It's a long article, but it clearly shows huge companies literally sitting on this gold mine of solar energy, not letting it get produced. As to WHY they are not producing it, that question remains up in the air.

Wall St. firm behind slow solar pace on federal lands?

Goldman Sachs subsidiary bought lots of leases — but hasn't used them

By Jason Dearen -- Associated Press -- 9/1/2010

ROACH DRY LAKE, Nev. — Not a light bulb's worth of solar electricity has been produced on the millions of acres of public desert set aside for it. Not one project to build glimmering solar farms has even broken ground.
Instead, five years after federal land managers opened up stretches of the Southwest to developers, vast tracts still sit idle.

An Associated Press examination of U.S. Bureau of Land Management records and interviews with agency officials shows that the BLM operated a first-come, first-served leasing system that quickly overwhelmed its small staff and enabled companies, regardless of solar industry experience, to squat on land without any real plans to develop it.

At a time when the nation drills ever deeper for oil off its shores even as it tries to diversify its energy supply, the federal government has, so far, failed to use the land it already has — some of the world's best for solar — to produce renewable electricity.

Nowhere is this more evident than in Nevada, where a Goldman Sachs & Co. subsidiary with no solar background has claims with the BLM on nearly half the land for which applications have been filed, but no firm plan for any of the sites....

[snip]

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Oh oh, can I guess why nothing is happening.

Those who make the decisions about energy are owned by big oil.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
:hi: Oh oh, can I guess why nothing is happening.

Those who make the decisions about energy are owned by big oil.

Possibly. We certainly have the "Who" and the "What" and the "Where" and the "When" and the "How." But as for the MOST important question of "Why," we still don't know for certain. Although plaing the game of "Follow the money" is always a helpful thing when trying to discover the answer to that one.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
They're prolly waiting until the optimum time to make a switch, from the money making perspective.

Duh.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is they're waiting for solar power to take off, so they can then sell the land with a big profit to companies who'll actually use it. Kinda like patent sniping.
I don't see investment companies go into the business themselves.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
They're prolly waiting until the optimum time to make a switch, from the money making perspective.

Duh.

My guess is they're waiting for solar power to take off, so they can then sell the land with a big profit to companies who'll actually use it. Kinda like patent sniping.
I don't see investment companies go into the business themselves.

No matter how you slice it, no mater the hidden truth of the big fat unanswered question of "Why?" the nation is suffering right now because of this 5-year lack of action by the lease holders.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember, somebody has to buy the land sometime and if the solar developers don't have the money to buy the land and develop them, someone else will and keep the land until the moment comes when sufficient funds are available. Solar technology has to improve a bit more before it becomes a solid winner (that is, night-time distribution and long distance distribution of energy need to be addressed before it clinches the title.)