This one is kind of icky/smelly...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I use a night guard, lately I started noticing that it really stinks, I think I nearly retched after sniffing it one time.
I thought just washing it before and after I put it in every time would be enough, apparently not. So I figure I need to sanitize it.

Suggestions I've found so far usually include:
-Soaking it in some form of liquid, usually vinegar or an alcohol solution.
-Actually brushing it with toothpaste.

Advice?

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soak it in a little warm water and peroxide and then brush with toothpaste. It's okay to brush it with toothpaste each time you take it out.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I use a night guard, lately I started noticing that it really stinks, I think I nearly retched after sniffing it one time.
I thought just washing it before and after I put it in every time would be enough, apparently not. So I figure I need to sanitize it.

Suggestions I've found so far usually include:
-Soaking it in some form of liquid, usually vinegar or an alcohol solution.
-Actually brushing it with toothpaste.

Advice?

Don't sniff it.

Maybe use a mouth rinse before putting it in?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it plastic, plasticine, or rubber?

If it's not rubber, you can both toothbrush it (soft bristle brush) and use a denture cleaner on it. However, the stuff that's making it smell is embedded in the plastic/rubber and might need to be neutralized with something like a baking soda soak* every few days. Once the smell is there, it never really goes away, in my experience.

Maryn, veteran of much orthodontia, and her kids'

*Buy a box of baking soda (not baking powder). Find a container that your appliance will fit in, like a drinking glass or a cup, and fill it up to about an inch from the top with lukewarm-to-warm water. Spoon in baking soda and stir until no more will dissolve and you can feel a sludge of it starting to form at the bottom. Drop in the appliance and leave it for at least four hours. Rinse before putting it in your mouth. Discard baking soda and wash container before re-use.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I believe you can also take it to a dentist or an orthodontist and they can put it in their cleaner. I have the dentist do my retainers every time I get my teeth cleaned. ...Which I haven't done in far too long.