PDA

View Full Version : Military History: ways to honor a fallen comrade?

geekyMary
09-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Any traditions (which I may adapt) for honoring someone fallen?

The situation is a group that has just learned that their leader is mortally wounded. I'd really like someone to break the sad silence with a loud "here's to Joe!" and they all give some sort of cheer or shoot their guns, or fling a cat or something.

The period is Victorian English, although I'm willing to borrow liberally from other areas.

Much obliged!

Cyia
09-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Not sure if it would work for Victorian England, but I know plenty of guys who observe the "extra" glass toast. Break out a bottle of the best, get pissed, and make sure there's a glass poured for the fallen.

Hallen
09-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Soldiers are no different than anybody else. We don't just do a Huzzah! and then have a party. Each man will deal with it differently. But, if he ain't dead yet, then there will be no party there will be no "here's to Joe". It will be somber. There will be anger. There will be grief.
It also depends if they are still in combat or not.
A quiet salute and drink would be common right after the death.

Since I'm not familiar with older traditions, I can't help much. I will say that sometimes, military types will do some weird things. It's all about being able to go back out there and do it all again. The Hurah for the next man to die thing is one of those.

So, I think you'll mostly need to look at your characters and their culture to get your answer.