Christchurch, NZ rocked by 7.4 Quake

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing that nobody was seriously hurt.

Deleted member 42

So far they're still reporting no fatalities; the pictures of pancaked buildings, collapsed garages, hydrants pouring water in the streets, smashed cars, and in one area, yawning sinkholes are strikingly like the Los Angles quake of 1994.

Electricity and phones are out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everyone is okay.

I wish I could find something on the US news channels on it.

They're too busy making a non story of a hurricane that isn't doing much.

Sorry, but I live in MA and very little is happening here and the NZ earthquake seems a little more serious than a rain storm with some high winds

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
From the news (sky TV news) it seems it was the central business district, no serious injuries reported to date.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Because it is an earthquake zone most of the modern buildings will hold up. But a large area has no power, water, limited transport etc and probably won't get it back any time soon. But no major injuries or fatalities reported and there is a pretty good civil defense service swinging into action. My peeps all seem to be fine.

Last edited:

zerospark

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Looking around it appears everybody's mostly okay.

Glad I'm on the north island though, geeze =\

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Because it is an earthquake zone most of the modern buildings will hold up. But a large area has no power, water, limited transport etc and probably won't get it back any time soon. But no major injuries or fatalities reported and there is a pretty good civil defense service swiging into action. My peeps all seem to be fine.

good to hear it Vein

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh New Zealand! Hope everyone stayed safe!!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Because it is an earthquake zone most of the modern buildings will hold up....and there is a pretty good civil defense service swinging into action. .

That's the difference between 1st world nations and 3rd world...education, engineers, civic works, building codes, building inspectors. The best 200 bucks I ever spent was on a building inspection that told me not to buy that house in town.

BTW, what's a second world nation?
PS, glad their ok.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A lot of people are getting rapidly up-skilled in what to do when you don't have a working toilet (and probably won't for a while). But on the whole things seems to be calm and under control. There have been a few major injuries reported now caused by falling debris, but still no fatalities. Some evactuation may still be called depending on flooding. The major collapses seem to be bridges. Cell and TV towers might still go down and there were a few arrests for looting. Christchurch CBD is closed. I bet the people who bought civil defence kits (including water and gas camping stoves) are congratulating themselves now.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
From the news (sky TV news) it seems it was the central business district, no serious injuries reported to date.
It appears the quake was centered about 30km (about 18.5 miles) outside of Christchurch. There have been regular aftershocks since the quake struck early this morning.

No casualties as of yet, and no serious injury reported either (there are conflicting reports about whether one person has been hit by a falling chimney, but nothing confirmed as of yet). However, it's only been 5 hours since the quake, and initial assessment is still taking place, so there could still be instances of people trapped in buildings, etc.

For the magnitude of the quake, the damage is actually on the lower end of the scale (from the pictures i've seen and the news coverage i've watched), which is testament to good building regulations and recognition of being in an earthquake zone. Interestingly, the fault from which this quake appears to have originated is not a major fault, and could even be classified as a blind fault.

There are concerns that there may be damage to the base infrastructure (water, sewage) and while cell towers are still working, they're on backup batteries. Electricity is down in much of the city and surrounding area. It will several days to a couple weeks to properly assess and repair any damage.

Civil defense and the government have worked quickly with local authorities, which is good news. People are being urged not to use any tap water, or flush toilets because of the suspected infrastructure damage, and only use their cell phones when absolutely necessary. Water distribution points will be set up in the city later on today. People have been asked to stay inside wherever possible due to the unstable nature of the ground, as well as the continued aftershocks being experienced.

There have been a few isolated reports of looting, but the police say they've taken care of those and have a large ground force in action.

On a personal note, while i live in Auckland, i have several friends who live in Christchurch or just outside. I've heard from one set that they're okay, which is great. I have yet to hear from the others, but i'm assuming best-case scenarios.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
There's a possibility a couple of suburbs may be evacuated.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Prayers sent down y'all's way.

BTW, what's a second world nation?
PS, glad their ok.

2nd world meant Soviet or Communist back when I got my degree. I don't know if that's changed.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope all the kiwis are safe, and more AW kiwis check in soon.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Christchurch will hopefully be fine. The damage was mainly brick buidlings, which crumble in quakes. Talked to a few friends down there and they're fine which is fantastic. I looked at the video/photos, and it was the old buildings that suffered the most. As the previous poster says we have some pretty good building standards nowadays, with most regions being within earthquake and volcano range. Miracle no one was killed though.

Wasn't on a major fault. If it had been the alpine fault we would have known about it in a serious way. We get some pretty decent quakes down in Fiordland, but it's a huge national park so they never affect people.

Civil defense are onto it, which is really good to see. Our geological and geographical setting permits no stuffing around when it comes to these things. Agree with the above poster that it was likely a blind fault. Christchurch is pretty flat so a surface fault would be reasonably noticable.

The risk isn't over though, because there is no way to know how big the aftershocks will be or if it was even the main event, and gale force winds are forecast for tonight.