PDA

View Full Version : anybody from So Cal???

OneWriter
09-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey there, I have a few questions about the LA area (Glendale in particular) and real estate over there... If you're available, please wave a hand and I'll PM. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
(I used to live there but it's been a while...)

JulieHowe
09-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I grew up in Eagle Rock and lived in Glendale as an adult. My best friend sells real estate in the immediate area - Eagle Rock, Glendale, Glassell Park and Highland Park. PM me and I'll see if I can get your question answered.

OneWriter
09-03-2010, 02:46 AM
You're fabulous, thanks! Will PM shortly!

Kitty Pryde
09-03-2010, 02:58 AM
I live about 3 minutes away from Glendale.

C.M. Daniels
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
All I really know about Glendale is the Galleria.

I used to live in Redondo Beach, and before that I had my own pocket of the ghetto down near USC.

One of my friends from SC is a real estate agent in SoCal. She's from a family of SoCal real estate people. I might be able to float a few questions her way too.

OneWriter
09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
You mean I can bug you about SoCal too?? :)
When I lived there all I knew about Glendale was the Galleria and the lady that served at Sees Candies: she was the most generous Sees Candy lady of all shops. She had me try half of the store and buy the other half! :D (and she really didn't have to work that hard... I mean, it's chocolate!)

I was working at the USC medical campus and only went to the main campus to the care of bureaucratic stuff.... Brrrrrr......

C.M. Daniels
09-07-2010, 11:59 PM
You mean I can bug you about SoCal too?? :)
When I lived there all I knew about Glendale was the Galleria and the lady that served at Sees Candies: she was the most generous Sees Candy lady of all shops. She had me try half of the store and buy the other half! :D (and she really didn't have to work that hard... I mean, it's chocolate!)

I was working at the USC medical campus and only went to the main campus to the care of bureaucratic stuff.... Brrrrrr......

Bug away!

I lived there from 2001-2004 when I was in school.

Giant Baby
09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Don't know much about Glendale specifically, but if you need any help with the other side of the Valley (Canoga Park/Woodland Hills and west) or Malibu, feel free.

OneWriter
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
You guys from southern California: what is the correct way of writing the freeways? I mean, you know how you always say "I took the two northbound" or the "one-o-one" or the "one-ten"? Did I write it right, by spelling out the number? Would the number be capitalized, as in "the Two," "the Five", etc.? Or just the digit? If it's just the digit, writing "the 2" looks odd...

Frye
09-28-2010, 06:52 AM
If it's just the digit, writing "the 2" looks odd...

Don't know if this still matters, but maybe someone will find it useful.

I'd spell out the number in dialogue, but otherwise use I-5, (for example).

Kate Thornton
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
All you folks live in my neighborhood, too!

And I always write the freeways as "take the 405 to the 60, then where it merges with the 57 north, stay to the right and get off at Temple"

Giant Baby
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM
All you folks live in my neighborhood, too!

And I always write the freeways as "take the 405 to the 60, then where it merges with the 57 north, stay to the right and get off at Temple"

Yep. I live on the East Coast now, and I got busted for that for years until I broke the habit. Also, for using the word "freeway" instead of "highway." It's definitely "the 405" ("the 405 freeway" is also fine, if a bit formal- might seem slightly less coded for non Southern Californian readers).

OneWriter
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, the novel is narrated in first person, so I don't want to say "the I-5" because my character would sound off. I've resolved it by spelling it all out wit capital letters, as in: "Take the Four-Oh-Five." Wikipedia spells it like that too...

GiantBaby, how can you cope with the East Coast after growing up in SoCal?????
Sorry, East-Coast people... lived three years there and couldn't stand the weather.

Giant Baby
09-28-2010, 09:34 PM
... GiantBaby, how can you cope with the East Coast after growing up in SoCal?????
Sorry, East-Coast people... lived three years there and couldn't stand the weather.

I mostly get through it by complaining a lot and over-taxing my remote car starter. I love Boston, but the weather should seeeriously get over itself. Sheesh!

:e2hammer: