How far back does your memory go?

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I once talked to a guy who claimed that he can remember sleeping in his crib as an infant. He told me, "I recall laying on a blanket...and looking at everything around me, with a sense of great wonder".

Not me. I have a few early memories of the Westside area of Los Angeles, where my family lived during my preschool years -- visual images of the ocean, stores, restaurants, etc. I can't remember anything about attending kindergarten, except that one of my classmates shared his thermos of milk with me every day. I can't remember anything that happened in first grade except for the day a tall overweight boy named Johnny peed his pants during classtime, and the gentle motherly way our teacher comforted him.

Of course, I have great memories of fun times with my family: Weekend visits to my relatives' homes, Disneyland, the beach, the traveling carnival that came to town once a year. Otherwise, specific memories of my early childhood are few and far between, mostly a blur. :Shrug:

How 'bout you?

Deleted member 42

I remember getting my first pair of glasses at 18 months--largely because suddenly, I could see,

I remember my second birthday, and first eye surgery at three. Lots of stuff once I started pre-school.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I remember being aware that it was 1980, and I turned four in 1980.

I remember a Guy Fawkes fireworks display at my kindy, so that must have been about three or four. Other than that, I have lots of little snippets, but nothing to indicate just how old I was then. I moved cities at six years old, so everything in my old town is just filed under 'Christchurch' with no time reference. :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I remember sailing. Standing alone in the cockpit after my dad had told me to keep the sun on the right side of the mast then went below with my mom. The tiller was above my shoulder. Would have been the Mediterranean and I would have been about 2.5.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
The green wall above the butler sink in my mother's kitchen. I must have been about
eighteen months old.

The smell of roasting turkey and stuffing really early in the morning.

My first day at primary school and the wall of names.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can remember living in our first house. I was about 4 years old. I especially remember the day we moved away. So sad. I had a best friend whose name was also Kathy and I cried my eyes out to be moving away.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I also have trouble remembering most of the keg parties I attended during high school. Anyone else have this problem? ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I remember my most recent past life before this life. I was a farmer. I hate the smell of potatoes.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
I remember crawling across the floor from my Aunt, who was behind me on hands and knees barking like a dog. I was laughing and screaming. I remember crawling into the den from the kitchen and seeing a very tall man in a suit. My Aunt started laughing her head off. I laughed too and never knew why.
I asked Mom about it when I grew up, and she said I had to have been 6 months old because I started walking at 7 months old. And she remembered that day. My Aunt was chasing me through the house just like I remembered and when we got to the den, Mom had just opened up the door to an insurance salesman who stared at my Aunt like she was effin crazy... which cracked my Aunt up.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember getting my tonsilectomy (sp?) when I was about 4. Even remember the coat I was wearing. I also remember the first piece of chocolate I had when I was three. lol.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I also have trouble remembering most of the keg parties I attended during high school. Anyone else have this problem? ;)
The early 90s. Other people tell me they happened. I have to take it on faith.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I remember this huge bear of a man who my parents made wine with at our house, and we moved from there while I was two. I have a couple of memories of being in a crib from that house, too, but just images, really.

The fullest memory that others can date was being taken to the hospital in a little red wagon by my sister and her friend. I was two.

I broke my arm at three and I remember all kinds of details about that. We'd seen the circus the night before, and I was attempting the flying trapeze by myself :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember this weird little baby table thing with a seat in the middle, and not wanting to be put in it. My mom said we got rid of it sometime between me being 18 months and two years old.

My next milestone is vividly recalling announcing to my dad that today was the last day I was going to be three, and that was good because I was sick of three. He thought that was hilarious and I could not see why.

Maryn, now sick of much higher numbers

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I recall my mom being really sick and laying on the couch all day after she cut down what turned out to be a huge bush of poison ivy. I think I was probably 3?

I do not remember the time I swallowed a dime and my parents took me to the ER. But I DO remember quite clearly sitting under the table, putting a nickel in my OJ, and swallowing the whole thing. Nobody else remembers that one. So currently I'm worth about 15 cents.

I moved a lot when I was little but I remember the floor plan of every house or boat I've ever lived in or visited frequently. I'm very spatially oriented. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
About 1 1/2 years old. I had a blankie....a soft white one with satin edging. Carried it everywhere. My mother laundry it when I took a nap. We went by train from Illinois to South Carolina to see my sister and when we boarded the train to return, my blankie was gone. I remember giving it a couple of minutes of thought and then never gave it another.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
About 1 1/2 years old. I had a blankie....a soft white one with satin edging. Carried it everywhere. My mother laundry it when I took a nap. We went by train from Illinois to South Carolina to see my sister and when we boarded the train to return, my blankie was gone. I remember giving it a couple of minutes of thought and then never gave it another.

Until now! :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
At one time my mom was a seamstress who worked from home. I was quite young then but recall the colors of the dresses she made and some of the women who stopped by to be fitted. I remember one woman who'd recently had a child and was lactating heavily. I was sitting on the floor nearby, playing with my toys as she removed her top and bra. The front of her breasts were wet, and more liquid seeped forth, showing light against the dark nipples.

The women laughed and chatted as a towel was produced and the fitting continued.

What I recall most is not what I saw, but how I felt at the time, which was an overwhelming urge to nurse. I was thirsty and hungry and wanted nothing more than to crawl into that woman's lap and suckle to my heart's content.

Many years later I related that memory to my mom, who was astonished as I revealed so many details from that day. She said I couldn't have been more than two years old at the time.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I remember waking up and feeling the urge to pee. I held it in and managed to not pee my bed. Have not peed my bed since. This was when I was two and a half years old. 1987-1988 ish.

First current event I remember was the Bosnian-Serbian War in 1991. Can't remember Black Friday (the Edmonton Tornado.)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I remember a couple of key items from my third year: there was a hill across the street from our house and it caught fire. Since it was a rather steep hill, I remember thinking the world was on fire because the flames were so tall. Sparked (no pun intended) my life-long fear of fire. Second, I remember my sister running away and getting married. She came back to get her clothes, which mother had packed in a big (well, it looked big to me) box. I had a hard time understanding just why it was Sissy wasn't going to be living with us anymore.