Grant writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgately

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I had a client inquire if I have done grantwriting. I haven't, but want the job (I learn quickly on the fly, so I don't feel like I'm being sneaky). Is it possible to cram such a skill into my toolbox, or is it necessary to take a course in order to really know what I'm doing? I figure there is enough info online and in books to lead me in the right direction. Any opinions on this particular service?
Thank you!!
Susan

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I did some grant writing for my daughter's junior high school. I attended a class that the county board of ed gave on grantwriting, and found that it was a very specific and structured skill that required knowing certain non-obvious grant writing codewords. I volunteered to write the grants because I wanted to learn the skill, but after doing 3, I decided it was goingt to take me a lot more time to learn the fine points than I wanted to devote to it. Your results may vary.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
It appears to be a skill and requirement for those who work within organisations, large and small. There appears to be a fair amount of knowledge needed of the technical requirements of grant writing, as well as the general and specific aspects of organisational politics.

ATP

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
A few thoughts.

I've never done grant writing, but if I was in the same position I would do a little research on grant writing and see if Ireally want it, and then start asking questions that I would need answered by the client (either in person or on the phoe or by email--you'd need to decide which would be best) to get the ball rolling.

If you are on target with your questions, and appear confident in your conversation, it will give them confidence in your ability to get the job done, and get them their grant. They'll psychologically start seeing you in the role. Ask to see a copy of the application or guidleines for that particular grant. (I'm assuming there is such a thing.)

Have they ever successfully applied for a grant before? If so, there might be a copy of the last one that would teach you a lot. Even if it was unsuccessful it would teach you a lot too and you might be able to find out why it was not successful and if that reason is related to something lacking in the application.

Also, timeframe is important--if this needs to be done in a rush it might be very stressful for you, on the other hand, if they don't have anyone yet, and you are expressing interest, they might not have time to start a search for someone else to do it.

I guess the main thing is that by doing a little research and asking a lot of questions, you will get more of a sense of whether you really do want it, and by initiating dialogue with the client, you'll build their confidence in getting them the money.

Good luck!

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.