Novel Length

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
What (in your opinion) is the absolute maximum word count for a fantasy novel for a first time author. I'm sure publishers have a number in mind due to cost.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm not an agent and Andy may have a different opinion, but here's my two cents:

It depends on the publisher.

Most people would tell you to shoot for between 80-90K words. However, some publishers are looking for stories around 100-120K.

It all depends.

Tell your story, then edit the heck out of it and see what you have left.

Ray Dillon

Artist & Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.RayDillon.com
This is a bit of a side note, but yesterday at the library I saw a novel that had to have been a million words!! :D It was around 1700 pages, larger than normal for a hardcover, and really small text. I forget the name or title, but I'll go back by and find it again. It was a new book. really couldn't believe how huge it was. I don't see many people reading that thing.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Stephen King's The Stand is like 1000 pages long, isn't it?

Of course, he wasn't a new author when he wrote that. For a new writer, I'd suggest something moderate, like in the 80-120K range.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange ((?) may be the ther way around!) - a fantasy book by a first time novelist - has well over a thousand pages.
A Suitable Boy has 1500 pages and it was his first published novel. It became very famous.

latichever

Banned
Reaction score
My agent told me that shorter books are better for first-timers because they have a lower price. The more pages, the higher the price. It's helpful to have a track record to enable a higher price for more pages.

Katiba

Registered
Reaction score
It's true that A Suitable Boy is very long, but it's also true that Seth then deliberately set out to write a much shorter work for his next book (partly) because: "I also reckon that publishers aren't intrinsically fond of long novels; they're difficult to convince people to read...or to review for that matter." In addition, he was a published poet - a field even harder to break into than novel-writing - before he became a novelist.

His experience shows that it can be done, but for every one book of extraordinary length published by a debut author there are many, many more published that are average length. Only the individual author can decide if his or her vision of a very long novel is worth the added difficulties in getting published.