The results of cash 4 clunkers

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...10/09/01/clunkers_a_classic_government_folly/

IN THE market for a used car? Good luck finding a bargain: The price of “pre-owned’’ vehicles has climbed considerably over the past year. According to Edmunds.com, a website for car buyers, a three-year-old automobile today will set you back, on average, close to $20,000 — a spike of more than 10 percent since last summer. For some popular models, the increase has been much steeper. In July, a used Cadillac Escalade was going for around $35,000, or nearly 36 percent over last July
Why are used-car prices rocketing? Part of the answer is that demand is up: With unemployment high and the economy uncertain, some car buyers who might otherwise be looking for a new truck or SUV are instead shopping for a used vehicle as a way to save money.

But an even bigger part of the answer is that the supply of used cars is artificially low, because your Uncle Sam decided last year to destroy hundreds of thousands of perfectly good automobiles as part of its hare-brained Car Allowance Rebate System — or, as most of us called it, Cash for Clunkers. That was the program under which the government paid consumers up to $4,500 when they traded in an old car and bought a new one with better gas mileage. The traded-in cars — which had to be in drivable condition to qualify for the rebate — were then demolished: Dealers were required to chemically wreck each car’s engine, and send the car to be crushed or shredded.’s price.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Not only rewarding a small group of consumers in a very narrow window, but penalizing a large, even more needy group for a much longer duration. Unintended consequences at their best, yet easily predictable if the politicians weren't running around with their hair on fire to do something, anything, EVERYTHING, that could possibly maybe have an impact on the economy (for better or worse).,

But it's good for the environment, right? And it helped keep American auto manufacturers in business and liquid (and their foreign plants running), right?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...10/09/01/clunkers_a_classic_government_folly/

IN THE market for a used car? Good luck finding a bargain: The price of “pre-owned’’ vehicles has climbed considerably over the past year. According to Edmunds.com, a website for car buyers, a three-year-old automobile today will set you back, on average, close to $20,000 — a spike of more than 10 percent since last summer. For some popular models, the increase has been much steeper. In July, a used Cadillac Escalade was going for around $35,000, or nearly 36 percent over last July

My word--people are paying more for used cars than for the new ones! Makes me real glad I don't live in Boston. The average used 3yo car here is going for $6-10K and you still can't give an Escalade away around here, let alone get $35K for it.

My experience as a used car shopper calls this highly suspect or very regional, FWIW.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
My experience as a used car shopper calls this highly suspect or very regional, FWIW.
The prices, maybe, but the inventory of affordable used cars has been significantly reduced.

For people with low incomes in many areas of the country, cheap used vehicles are the only way they can continue to earn any paycheck at all. Even those with good income but poor credit could be impacted.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a blast from the past, in case you don't remember the Volvo video.

And I swear I read here in the last day or two, someone write that to get and keep a job it's more important to have a reliable car to get to work than a GED or high school diploma...who and where was that?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

And I swear I read here in the last day or two, someone write that to get and keep a job it's more important to have a reliable car to get to work than a GED or high school diploma...who and where was that?
O. M. G.

They murdered that poor car in cold blood. You could even hear it screaming. I couldn't even watch the whole thing, it was sickening. My dog started howling in commisseration, and he couldn't even see the screen.

You hear about violence like this all the time, but to see it in dying color is just too much. Imagine the happy, fruitful life that Volvo could have had in the care of some loving family. Instead, to be put down like that, it's criminal.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm wondering if this is regional, too. I still see tons of corner used car lots with cheap cars on them.

What are those morons doing? Because I saw how they disable clunkers on our local news. Took only a few minutes. They poured in the substance, started the engine, and it seized up pretty quickly. It didn't have to run for 5 minutes like these idiots did.

And why would they take what looks like a decent late model Volvo out of service for anyway? That shouldn't have fit the criteria of a "clunker."

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What are those morons doing? Because I saw how they disable clunkers on our local news. Took only a few minutes. They poured in the substance, started the engine, and it seized up pretty quickly. It didn't have to run for 5 minutes like these idiots did.
I bet those quickies weren't imported Volvos, but some cheap domestic brew. :D
And why would they take what looks like a decent late model Volvo out of service for anyway? That shouldn't have fit the criteria of a "clunker."
Well, it was close enough for government work.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is regional, too. I still see tons of corner used car lots with cheap cars on them.
They seem to turn over a good bit, go in an out of business. There's an empty lot where one was at a year or so ago, don't know just when it went out of business.

It's not the idiots, it's the car. The point seems to be that this was a much better made car than others. I didn't listen to all the audio this time, or maybe this is a shorter version of the video where someone commented afterward, but a year ago I recall one of these guys saying something like "That dodge over there only lasted ten seconds." What you see being done here is apparently the same thing you saw on your local news.
They had to, because it was TRADED IN as part of the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program, and the dealer was required by law to destroy the engine of every such trade-in in order to be able to claim the government money he already gave the customer for trading that thing in on a new car. Go back and look at the rules, you'll see how this (trading in of a perfectly good car) can and often did happen. The new car had to get better gas mileage than the trade-in (by something like 5MPG, I forget), as listed by EPA MPG, and there was maybe something like a certain range model years, and maybe some minumim mileage on the car, but a lot of cars in the last couple of decades will go far beyond that mileage and still pass emissions and such - surely that Volvo would.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, there has been an unintended benefit, that would be the introduction of several brand new economically smart cars that are very affordable. In addition, America's fuel consumption has decreased or remained the same in the last two years, which is the first time in decades that we haven't increased demand.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, there has been an unintended benefit, that would be the introduction of several brand new economically smart cars that are very affordable. In addition, America's fuel consumption has decreased or remained the same in the last two years, which is the first time in decades that we haven't increased demand.

Link?
But perhaps the recession has had something to do with it?

Tell me if this is wrong: consumers received cash for turning in their old gas guzzling cars and purchasing more fuel efficient models. The cash they received was taxable income. Thousands of used cars were euthanized. Now, due to the recession and high unemployment, many cannot afford to buy a new car. But because of the euthanization, the price of used cars has skyrocketed - making them unaffordable for many who need a car.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They had to, because it was TRADED IN as part of the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program, and the dealer was required by law to destroy the engine of every such trade-in in order to be able to claim the government money he already gave the customer for trading that thing in on a new car. Go back and look at the rules, you'll see how this (trading in of a perfectly good car) can and often did happen. The new car had to get better gas mileage than the trade-in (by something like 5MPG, I forget), as listed by EPA MPG, and there was maybe something like a certain range model years, and maybe some minumim mileage on the car, but a lot of cars in the last couple of decades will go far beyond that mileage and still pass emissions and such - surely that Volvo would.

You know, this instance sounds to me like they were scamming the government. I thought the car had to fit in a minimum MPG, too. Like if it made less than 18 MPG. I'm quite sure a late model Volvo like that made in the 20s.

Link?
But perhaps the recession has had something to do with it?
Maybe a consequence of last years $4 per gallon gas (or was that 2 years ago?) and more people using public transportation. As I mentioned in another thread, the ridership between Milwaukee and CHicago doubled.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
You know, this instance sounds to me like they were scamming the government. I thought the car had to fit in a minimum MPG, too. Like if it made less than 18 MPG. I'm quite sure a late model Volvo like that made in the 20s.

Maybe a consequence of last years $4 per gallon gas (or was that 2 years ago?) and more people using public transportation. As I mentioned in another thread, the ridership between Milwaukee and CHicago doubled.

Nobody wants to drive a car anywhere near Chicago if they don't have to - especially during construction season. I had to go to Detroit two years ago and spent mega-bucks to take the Lake Express Ferry - just to avoid Chicago traffic.
The Milwaukee-Chicago train used to be fun - they had a dome car and served beer- but no more. Now people use it just to avoid traffic congestion. And have you ever tried to get a cab at Union Station on a cold windy winter morning? good luck.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I live on a very small amount of coin a month. I drive an 18+ old car. The used cars in my area that I could afford to buy for cash are as old or older then what I drive now. ???????????????????????? I have been looking. Instead of buying a 'newer' car I just had some work done today on my piece of junk. It cost me over $300.00, and was minor work. I hope it lasts me another year. At least it gets me from point A to point B. I spoke out a year ago about the killing off of better cars and a bunch of you folks jumped my case. When you don't have the funds or access to funds that would allow you to buy better you have to make do with what you have. I know I am not the only one here that is in the same boat. I never understood the thing a year ago and still don't.

Carry on...........................:Soapbox:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...the people who thought the program sucked/was evil/or whatever at the outset continue to think that, and then go look for information to reinforce that position.

That's what I learned from this thread.
Yeah, I saw the subtitle of the website being cited, too...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nobody wants to drive a car anywhere near Chicago if they don't have to - especially during construction season. I had to go to Detroit two years ago and spent mega-bucks to take the Lake Express Ferry - just to avoid Chicago traffic.

I drove down a month ago for a stay at the Hard Rock. I didn't find the traffic downtown all the bad. Now waiting to make turns because they have millions of people crossing the street... that's another story. I kept going, "Really? Where the f--k are they all coming from?"

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still loving our 1990 Corolla