PDA

View Full Version : looking for beta reader for short stories, I just figured out what a beta reader was..

Stanelle
09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Anyone willing to take on an unpaid job as a beta reader for a Deaf lady,..who writes in midlands Ohio accent in Deaf dialect and has a lot to learn about writng the English language properly?

I have a few local interest stories, which need upgrading.

...Stanelle

CACTUSWENDY
09-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm glad you know now what a beta reader is. :) I do have a question. Because you are deaf, does that make it a different way of writing? :Shrug: I was not sure what you made a point of pointing that out. Thanks for the insight. ;)

Stanelle
09-01-2010, 08:43 PM
My Deafness makes a big difference in the way that I write. Most Deafies read and write on a fourth grade level or less. I do a bit better than that as I am a college graduate and I was eleven when my hearing loss came about. I've heard the English language as it is spoken. I, now, see the English language as it is spoken on other folk's lips.

Most Deafies see the English language as it is written in books,..their school text books. Since most Deaf high school graduates read on a fourth grade level or less,..and have never HEARD a spoken language,..their command of the English language leaves quite a bit to be desired!!

Also, quite a few Deaf folks are not using the English language as their primary spoken language. These Deafies use American Sign Language as their primary language and this language, also known as ASL, is not spoken with the mouth.

ASL is spoken on the hands. This means that a deaf person is visually oriented as to their language capabilities and not sound oriented. If you cannot use your ears for communication purposes, you use your eyes.

ASL is a language in it's own right and doesn't use the same grammar and syntax that the English language uses. The spoken English language uses words to build it's ideas with. ASL uses "signs," idiographs, made with the hands, to build up ideas with.

You can see me signing on my websight in the picture banners above the blog. Go to:

www.xanga.com/Stanelle (http://www.xanga.com/Stanelle)

and study my picture banners. I am talking on my hands in quite a few of the pictures. To see some of the difference in the abilities of many Deaf people as to writing English, go to :

www.alldeaf.com (http://www.alldeaf.com)

Read the forums. You will see a wide variety in the English speaking and writing abilities of the Deaf folks who post there.

Being Deaf or Hard Of Hearing is not just a matter of not hearing. Being Deaf or Hard of Hearing is a matter of using anoher language as a primary language and being more visually oriented than sound oriented. Compare a Deaf, using English as a medium to write in, to a person, born to speaking French, and having to express themselves in English. That is the closest comparison I can give you as to what it's like to write in one language and think in another language.

I do think and write in English as it is the first language that I learned as a child. Unfortunately. I still use that same Midlands Ohio dialect in speaking and writing. That's not good if I want to move on in a bigger literary world.

CACTUSWENDY
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
:)...wow. Thank you for all this information. I knew there was a difference but had no idea it was so involved. What a challenge.

Okay gang.....you have seen the need.

I would read for you but my writing skills are not that great. :evil I would hate to give you my two cents and have you do something that is not right. Someone with great skills need to read your stuff so they can point out the errors and also explain the whys.

Stanelle
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Right now,..m'dear,..I need all the spare change that I can get!!!

Go critique my story. Give me hell. I learn fast!!

You ALL are my teachers and I learn fast!!

......Stanelle

Maryn
09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Hiya, Stanelle. Would you consider posting your story in the appropriate Share Your Work board? I know AW has a number of other deaf members--and plenty of hearing members whose mastery of the written word isn't as good as yours. I don't think it's very likely you'd be embarrassing yourself by going public rather than the privacy of beta readers.

Meanwhile, though, the spare change is weighing down my purse--leave me the quarters and take the rest!

Maryn, recalling that one of the best grammarians here is deaf

Stanelle
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
What would the appropriate board be for my stories?

I'll gladly post it anywhere you suggest!!

Kristoff
09-02-2010, 05:27 AM
What would the appropriate board be for my stories?

I'll gladly post it anywhere you suggest!!

The SYW boards are located a little further down on the main page of the Absolute Write boards.

Here is a direct link:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

The password is 'vista'

I hope you kick some ass :)