Anyone familiar with Montreal?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
One of these days, hubby and I are going to save our pennies and make a visit. I can't wait to see the city and all its gorgeous history. I have a genealogical connection to the city too, on my mother's side. My 8th great grandfather was a syndic in the 1600s and has a plaza named after him. :)

In the meantime, I need to know for a WIP...

What would be a relatively wealthy residential area of the city with sizable mansions where bankers might live, circa 1880s-1890s (possibly into the modern day).

Thanks, all!
Hip

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably Westmount borough. They've got some incredibly beautiful homes there.

http://www.imtl.org/montreal/borough/Westmount.php?TheTYPE=1&subType=11&detail=1

ETA: If you go, take a caleche tour of Old Montreal. I lived there and worked in Old Montreal for years. Never took a tour until I had a friend from out of town visit. I learned more about the architecture and historic buildings from that than from all my solitary wanderings.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking Westmount, as well, but looking at that site, it might be too new - most of the houses on the main page were from quite a bit later than the 1880s.

That same site had historic maps, and looking at the one from 1875, there wasn't much to the west of Parc Mont Royal. Westmount does show up on the 1898 map, though...

McGill University has a lot of old mansions that are converted into university buildings, but I don't really know the dates of construction.

Check out http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/c...0.2345.11?Lang=1&accessnumber=MP-0000.2345.11 for information on the 'golden square mile.' It might be a little late, though, just like the Westmount info. But I'd say that the further back you go in history, the more compact the city will be, so something closer to the current downtown might be good.

bluefeline

Registered
Reaction score
Westmount was my 1st answer but I wasn't sure and didn't want to give the wrong answer. The 2nd place I thought of was Outremont but still not sure. :Huh:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! This will at least get me started, dontcha know. :D

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, these are PERFECT!! So much data, too. Several pages in you get to see the ones from the 1890s and before, so these are fabulous. And it gives me addresses too!

:e2arms:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: If you go, take a caleche tour of Old Montreal. I lived there and worked in Old Montreal for years. Never took a tour until I had a friend from out of town visit. I learned more about the architecture and historic buildings from that than from all my solitary wanderings.

If BardSkye is talking about the horse drawn coach tour, I second that. Fantastic experience!