Will word count send me to the trash bin?

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up the last bits this week and I am trying to beef up the book as much as I can. I am a sparse writer, and I did NOT go into lengthy details in this book for a number of reasons. It's a cross between humorous mommy type women's fiction and urban fantasy. I'm going to estimate that it will end up at just under 70,000.

I'm beginning to worry that I won't get any requests simply due to word count! Is this going to be a problem? I don't want to ruin the book by adding in crap it doesn't need.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
70K seems about fine to me, especially for humor. From what I've seen here, that word count shouldn't be a problem.

Sleigh88

;)
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're fine. I know adult fiction generally runs a little longer than that, but I'm sure 70K isn't going to get you an automatic rejection--especially if your query and sample are really strong. Ultimately, agents just want to rep an awesome novel! :)

(But I totally hear you about WC insecurities. I'm beating my head into a wall because I'm nowhere near finished on my YA novel and I'm pushing 70K. Lots of that will go when I edit, but *sigh* and *grumble* and *worry* and all that.)

Last edited:

tanglewoodtracey

Loves a good trainwreck
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.traceygarvisgraves.com
Finishing up the last bits this week and I am trying to beef up the book as much as I can. I am a sparse writer, and I did NOT go into lengthy details in this book for a number of reasons. It's a cross between humorous mommy type women's fiction and urban fantasy. I'm going to estimate that it will end up at just under 70,000.

I'm beginning to worry that I won't get any requests simply due to word count! Is this going to be a problem? I don't want to ruin the book by adding in crap it doesn't need.

I'm sparse too. I see all these posts about high word count and I wonder why it's so difficult for me to get my word count higher. I'm writing women's fiction as well and I'd like my final word count to come in around 80K but I'd settle for 75K.

Like others have said, I think you'll be fine :)

Tracey

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any issues with this up front. Later, when you find representation, they might ask you to adjust it (or not). Good luck!

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen of averages, women's fictions often ranges lower. Iwas concerned since fantasy is expected to be in a higher range, and my query reads more as that.

I feel confident that after reading a partial or the manuscript I won't have problems, I hoped it wouldn't be in issue at a glance on the query.

This thread has been comforting.

Tracey, I managed to add at least 6,000 words during final editing, so don't panic until you're DONE. I only have two chapters left.

adgrogan

Author of: Orange FingerTips
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.groganbooks.com
I guess we Texan just like things big.

I agree that 70,000 words won't hurt your chances. Have you ever read Animal Farm by George Orwell? It's a tiny book that was one of the best sellers of all time.

Here's a tip that might be helpful. You can always add a character in trouble to beef up your content. So if my main charater is an old lady who sometimes talks to the post-woman, I could make the post-woman an abused wife who show up at the mail box with bruises and black eyes and needs someone to talk to ... someone to tell her where to buy a gun to go postal on her husband. Just his brains on the kitchen table and the cops picking her up has got to be woth 8,000 words.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
That's AWESOME! LOL. Texas obviously has cooked up some good imaginations as well.

I'm not worried anymore. The story is sitting well with my beta readers, so I think I'm cool.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
ha. I wish I had your problem. I'm crossing my fingers that my wip ya will come out no shorter than 45k. Originally I was hoping for 50 but that probably won't happen.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Here's a tip that might be helpful. You can always add a character in trouble to beef up your content. So if my main charater is an old lady who sometimes talks to the post-woman, I could make the post-woman an abused wife who show up at the mail box with bruises and black eyes and needs someone to talk to ... someone to tell her where to buy a gun to go postal on her husband. Just his brains on the kitchen table and the cops picking her up has got to be woth 8,000 words.

Yes, there is always the option of adding a good sub-plot if you're well under word count, but your WC seems fine. And if your betas like the overall pace and structure of your ms, then I wouldn't worry.

Better short-ish than longish, especially for a first novel, IMO!