PDA

View Full Version : LeastFavorite/Favorite Kind of Soap

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:15 AM
What is your soap of choice?

I used to prefer Ivory, but now I kinda like Irish Spring.

Dove isn't bad either.

NiaR
08-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Anything by Dove is fine by me. Least favorite would probably be anything by Suave

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:29 AM
That's really funny, at least to me.

I prefer the Ivory or the Dove, each reminds me of my Grandmother's and of being a little kid in the bath =) The scents both make me feel safe and loved. The reason it's so funny is because of what you mentioned and what a scent can do to bring a memory to surface. Every time I smell Irish Spring my mind instantly thinks "You sonnofa b----" I can't stand that smell! That's soo funny! =)

Yeah, I think certain scents trigger certain responses in people.

Ivory soap is what I always used when giving my kids a bath, so it's very gentle soap. I have very sensitive skin, so I've always used it, too.

But somebody in my house bought a few bars of Irish Spring so I used a bar of that one day while showering and I just liked the smell of it.

Death Wizard
08-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Dial for Men is my brand of choice.

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Dial for Men is my brand of choice.

Do they also make Dial for Women?

Smish
08-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Dial is my favorite. Dove is okay, too.

HATE Irish Spring.

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Boo hoo. Irish Spring haters.

Well, it smells good on me.

Death Wizard
08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Boo hoo. Irish Spring haters.

Well, it smells good on me.

Yummy ... yes it does.

Death Wizard
08-31-2010, 06:53 AM
Do they also make Dial for Women?

I'm not sure. All I know is, Dial for Men works for me!!!

Seaclusion
08-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Murphy's Oil Soap isn't bad.

But I wind up smelling like an old credenza the rest of the day.

Richard

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Yummy ... yes it does.

Are you able to smell through your computer? That's a very unusual talent.

Smish
08-31-2010, 07:02 AM

If there's any soap strong enough to smell through the computer, it's Irish Springs. :D

backslashbaby
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM
I like Irish Springs!

I think my soap says Ohm on it. Ring a bell for anyone? I buy random stuff based on the ingredients and smell; I dunno :) Ginger and honey are pluses.

And I steal all the toiletries on trips :D Dad lived at a Crowne Plaza on weekdays for years recently-ish, so I just now ran out of their stuff!

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Hotel soaps are always so tiny, aren't they? Pretty hard to work up a lather.

And they give ya a tiny little bottle of shampoo. Some of us have long hair.

Death Wizard
08-31-2010, 07:14 AM

Okay, in that case, then, I take it back. Psffssssstttt!

backslashbaby
08-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah, my hair's too long, too. The bodywashes go far, though. And Dad wasn't about to use some frou-frou smelling stuff instead of manly-man soap, so he threw them in his bag for me ;)

Shampoo/Conditioner, I'm picky on. And I need mega-bottles.

joyce
08-31-2010, 07:22 AM
I use anything that's on sale and I like the smell of. My grandmother used Ivory and it does remind me of her. My hubby loves the stuff and I swear when I use it, it feels like it takes all the oils off my skin and leaves a soap residue. Hubby thinks I'm insane (which I am) but I like soaps that leave me feeling smooth and silky. ;)

SarahB
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Dove is simple and easy on my skin. I'm allergic to Ivory. And Irish Spring reminds me of my Dad.

Cliff Face
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I thought this was going to be about The Bold And The Beautiful!

Susie
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Ivory, cuz it doesn't smell. :D

Sophia
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I love Coal Tar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright%27s_Coal_Tar_Soap) soap. It's too expensive to buy all the time, but I get it sometimes as a treat. I adore the smell, and the memories I associate it with.

What I buy every week is a pack of 3 bars for 18p from the supermarket. Utterly bog standard, unfragranced, and ungirly, but I go through soap so quickly (due to compulsive hand-washing) that it's the only economical option!

Vito
08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Shampoo/Conditioner, I'm picky on. And I need mega-bottles.

http://www.aerostar.com/coldair/images/KMS_Shampoo_Bottle.jpg

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
I thought this was going to be about The Bold And The Beautiful!

Yes, the bold and beautiful bar of soap you use.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Back in the day, when I was in college, I went home to Eufaula for the weekend and the local Piggly Wiggly had Irish Spring on sale for a nickel a bar! I bought $5 worth - and proceeded to use Irish Spring 'til I simply couldn't stand it any longer. To this day, I can't stand the thought of it.

I'm a 'Warm Vanilla Sugar' girl, from Bath and Body Works. Comes in body wash, lotion, body spray, etc.

cray
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
those crazy boys in the fight club made soap, didn't they?

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Here's a question: Do most people think Irish Spring is a man's soap? Cuz I don't wanna be smellin' like a man.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Well... :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQk-imB1m2k)

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Manly yes, but I like it too!

Well, that settles it.

Don Allen
08-31-2010, 06:11 PM
What is your soap of choice?

I used to prefer Ivory, but now I kinda like Irish Spring.

Dove isn't bad either.

This is the silliest thread I've ever seen and would never have before commented, EXCEPT, (that i love Rhyme girl) AND that I actually had a "soap awakening" while visiting Latvia, a former communist nation last week, where soap,, is different.... I have to admit that I found a bar of DOVE which several people have said they detested, and was never more thankful in my life for a soap that didn't remove my skin several moments after using...

GOOD THREAD...

scarletpeaches
08-31-2010, 06:14 PM
I only ever use Dove. I like the smell; it's not overpowering but I've noticed it wears away very quickly, more so than other soaps.

Anyway, years back when I started attending the dermatology clinic at the hospital, I was given hand outs and fact sheets...they all said not to use soap in the bath and to stick to other cleansers provided by them, or my GP.

Dove was the only exception because it has so much moisturiser in it. It's the only soap my dermatologist allowed me to use.

Alpha Echo
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
What an odd thread.

To answer, I use any soap by Bath and Body Works, and my husband likes Dial - the bars.

Don Allen
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
I only ever use Dove. I like the smell; it's not overpowering but I've noticed it wears away very quickly, more so than other soaps.

Anyway, years back when I started attending the dermatology clinic at the hospital, I was given hand outs and fact sheets...they all said not to use soap in the bath and to stick to other cleansers provided by them, or my GP.

Dove was the only exception because it has so much moisturiser in it. It's the only soap my dermatologist allowed me to use.

Till last week, I think My mom may have bought it when I was kid, not really sure, but I liked it, and will buy some now that I'm home, when my current supply is deleted.

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
This is the silliest thread I've ever seen and would never have before commented, EXCEPT, (that i love Rhyme girl) AND that I actually had a "soap awakening" while visiting Latvia, a former communist nation last week, where soap,, is different.... I have to admit that I found a bar of DOVE which several people have said they detested, and was never more thankful in my life for a soap that didn't remove my skin several moments after using...

GOOD THREAD...

Thank you. Soap is very important, Don.

And I must say that Rob has started much sillier threads than I have.

Don Allen
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you. Soap is very important, Don.

And I must say that Rob has started much sillier threads than I have.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes he has....

Shadow_Ferret
08-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I prefer soaps that make me feel clean, like Ivory, or Dove, or even Caress.

I don't like the "deodorant" soaps. They leave this film or something on my skin. Plus, in the winter time, they really dry out my skin and I spend the day itching.

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I prefer soaps that make me feel clean, like Ivory, or Dove, or even Caress.

Oh yes, Caress.

I remember their commercials. "Before you dress, a little Caress." Very sexy.

bluefeline
08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
My favorite is Ivory. That's what I use all the time but I also like Dove.

stormie
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Until it was discontinued, I loved the bar soap, Gentle Touch. Now I like Dove. I don't like any deodorant soaps.

Yep, I wash.

rhymegirl
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Yep, I wash.

Good to know, stormie.

BenPanced
09-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Favorite: EastEnders
Least Favorite: Dynasty II: The Colbys

What?

rhymegirl
09-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Favorite: EastEnders
Least Favorite: Dynasty II: The Colbys

What?

Not that kind of soaps, Ben.

Have you ever watched The One Bold and Beautiful Life To Live in the Young and Restless Days of Our Lives?

rhymegirl
09-01-2010, 05:42 AM
I have some lavender shampoo. It smells really nice.

Cliff Face
09-01-2010, 06:02 AM
*hunts through bathroom looking to see what the generic soap he uses is called*

Country Life.

There're a few varieties, but they all seem pretty similar to me. Maybe it's because my sense of smell sucks... honestly, I can smell the scented soap only when I'm lathering, but as soon as I step out of the shower, I just smell like me again (which isn't good OR bad - just a neutral subtle scent).

I've used Dove before. It was very smooth, which I liked. Again, though, I can't say I noticed any scent to it after stepping out of the shower. But Dove is a dream on your hands...

Has anyone else ever heard of Dove Chocolate? As in, food, not chocolate-scented soap... it's delicious. Not sure if it's specifically the same brand... just the same name. Dove Chocolate is also very smooth.

And my sister uses special soaps with rough bits in them for pores or something. Don't know which brand, but it's a local Australian thing anyway.

So... anybody heard of Country Life soaps? Just took a look at the packaging, and it says "Forest Breeze" on it... yeah. Also says, "Australian Made And Owned". So I'm going to guess that you can only get it in Australia...

But at 50c a bar (roughly) it's fine by me!

Cliff Face
09-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Also, I've never heard of Ivory or Irish Spring. No, they haven't conquered the world yet!

And on that note, it's 11.30am and I need a shower. To the batmobile! Erm, I mean, to the generic Australian soap! Ya!

heyjude
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one here who bases decisions on whether they test on animals?

I use Bath and Body stuff (mmm... coconut and lime). Dh uses Jergens.

haystackbat
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I spend a portion of every summer out at a lake camping with some relatives, and they have an interesting use for ivory. They keep it in the boat and when people water ski, they rub a little on the top of the feet to help them slide into tight wet skis more easily.
Of course, first time I tried I got it on the bottom of my foot, which is apparently a faux pas. Lost both skis within seconds.
Anyway, ever since then I like the smell, if I can block out the repressed water skiing memories.
Also the curvy white bottle looks so much classier than that of other dishsoaps, doesn'it?
(I realized I'm talking dishsoaps here instead of hand soaps.)

As far as handsoap goes, we received a liquid one as part of a gift set and adored it. I actually looked forward to washing my hands. It was some sort of citrus-ginger thing, I think. And then we had a guest tell us it smelled like scented feminine hygiene products. I shrugged it off but my mom never felt the same about it.

haystackbat
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh by the way, funny story about Revlon Outrageous hair products. We had some really close family friends when I was little, who were black, and I remember their mother (who is white with stick-straight hair) struggling to no end with the girls' hair. And one time when I was staying over there I used the Outrageous shampoo and conditioner, and for some reason I got it in my head that it was intended for curly, difficult 'ethnic hair' as my local Shoppers' Drug Mart calls it. So I still buy it, and all along thought I was kind of not supposed to with my hair type, but the smell reminded me of those childhood friends so I didn't really care.
Last week I found out that in no way is it targeted at any type of hair, it's just a lovely line of products. I recommend it for all-out body and shine!

backslashbaby
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
^^^ That's cute :D And good tip! But I use the new Pantene "For women of color". That's a quote from the bottle to make it clear nowadays, lol ;) My sister and I have hair that Black girls understand much better; I can't tell you how many times white girls have asked if I just got a perm when my hair dries naturally.

rhymegirl
09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Also, I've never heard of Ivory or Irish Spring. No, they haven't conquered the world yet!

Ivory soap has been around for a long, long time. Over 100 years, I think.

Irish Spring maybe since the 1970's.

You'll just have to come to the US and try some. :)

kayleamay
09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
What a strange thread.
I use Lever body wash. I like the scent. Sometimes I use my husbands heavily-scented man wash (Crew?) just to change things up.

rhymegirl
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
What a strange thread.

Thank you.

This is what being unemployed has done to me.

BardSkye
09-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I love the smell of Irish Spring, but can't use it. Something in my body chemistry changes the scent from nice to disgustingly rancid. (I have a cousin who's body chemistry cancels all scents no matter how powerful the perfume.)

I use a sandalwood soap from India I get at a local grocery store. For hair, it's got to be Mane & Tail.

You could always claim you're doing market research on your resume.

BenPanced
09-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Irish Spring commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSNrg7T0Wo)

Susie
09-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I like Ivory cuz it's unscented and least favorite is Irish Spring cuz it's too smelly! :D

CatSlave
09-02-2010, 01:38 AM
I love Dr. Bronner's natural liquid soaps, especially the lavender and citrus scents.
And for luxury, I bathe with Maja soaps.

Irish Spring smells like bug spray to me.

rhymegirl
09-02-2010, 01:45 AM

Not a bad idea.

I also have another idea. I love Pond's cold cream and moisturizer and use that on my face. I was thinking of sending them a letter telling them how much I love their product. Maybe I could get a commercial out of it! :)

Cliff Face
09-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Ivory soap has been around for a long, long time. Over 100 years, I think.

Irish Spring maybe since the 1970's.

You'll just have to come to the US and try some. :)

Is that an offer of a couch to sleep on I hear? I'll just make sure to come over for Halloween. Sadly, we don't celebrate Halloween in Australia, though I have been to a couple of private Hallow-parties in my time. But you can forget about knocking on people's doors and expecting candy!

I love the smell of Irish Spring, but can't use it. Something in my body chemistry changes the scent from nice to disgustingly rancid. (I have a cousin who's body chemistry cancels all scents no matter how powerful the perfume.)

I use a sandalwood soap from India I get at a local grocery store. For hair, it's got to be Mane & Tail.

Maybe I'm like your cousin? Seriously, no matter what scents I use, I can never smell it even 5 minutes later. Never considered it might be my body chemistry... always just assumed I had a bad sense of smell. Hmm.

BardSkye
09-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe I'm like your cousin? Seriously, no matter what scents I use, I can never smell it even 5 minutes later. Never considered it might be my body chemistry... always just assumed I had a bad sense of smell. Hmm.

If it's just you that can't smell a scent you've applied after a few minutes, it's likely just that your nose has got used to it. If nobody else can smell it after a few minutes, you could have my cousin's type of chemistry. The only way she can have any sort of scent stay more than a few minutes is to apply it to her clothes.

CoffeeLover
09-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Does your cousin have red hair by any chance? Someone told me that can be a problem for them.