Lexx

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The full series is currently on Hulu.
Should I watch it?
It's not that I've found anything I'm particularly opposed to while reading about it.
It just looks like a long series, and I'm not sure if I want to invest the time or not.

Can anyone who has seen it offer any endorsements?

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i watched it on netflix streaming. i found it lame and unfunny. it felt forced and the sexual tension is weak and over advertised (in and outside of the show).

it feels like a cheap knockoff of things that have been done better all thrown into a pot in the hopes of success.

i couldn't keep interested and wouldn't recommend it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i watched it on netflix streaming. i found it lame and unfunny. it felt forced and the sexual tension is weak and over advertised (in and outside of the show).

it feels like a cheap knockoff of things that have been done better all thrown into a pot in the hopes of success.

This[sup]10[/sup]. It seemed like so much wish fulfillment gruel, like the writers were relying on self-insertion for plot.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I could never as a Battlestar Galactica fan sink to such depths as to lay my eyes upon such drivel :)

/snobbey

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Unlike the other highbrow science fictiony people, I say you should give it a chance. It's not for everyone, but I liked it and found it got better as the series progressed.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

This[sup]10[/sup]. It seemed like so much wish fulfillment gruel, like the writers were relying on self-insertion for plot.
I could never as a Battlestar Galactica fan sink to such depths as to lay my eyes upon such drivel :)

/snobbey
I'm getting a very subtle undercurrent of dislike. :rolleyes:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone who has seen it offer any endorsements?

Well, I was rather smitten by Eva Habermann. Other than that, it's mainly drivel.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I love the first four episodes á ~ 90 minutes each and loved them. I've seen only the occasional episode of series that followed, and was disappointed.

At least the first four episodes are unapologetic trash and work very well as such. I had a feeling that the series that followed took itself too seriously, which didn't work out too well, but I may have caught bad episodes. I thought that might have been the case, as an online friend of mine loved the series, too. But considering the thread consensus...

I would certainly recommend the first four episodes. The style's very ideosyncratic, so if you don't like it, you can quit pretty soon. It's probably not worth giving it a chance, then. I haven't met anyone on whom the series grew. It's either instant love or hate.

A disclaimer: I've seen the German dub only, and I've heard that the dub adds to the camp feeling of the show, and that this might have made the show better.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I enjoy Lexx, which is something like a cross between Star Wars, Animal House, Waiting for Godot and Elric. The first four episodes do feel like volumes in space opera/epic fantasy and so have a certain consistency. But there are good later episodes as well, many funny and/or intriguing. To be sure, the creators made a very mixed brew and their experiments don't always work. I'd say--give it a try.