PDA

View Full Version : Greek speakers?

fredXgeorge
08-31-2010, 05:32 AM
My current WIP is about three Siren sisters and I want to use their actual names (or some that I've found as I've found different variations and stuff). I have a general idea but I want to make sure I know the correct way to say them so just need an easy-to-understand pronunciation. TIA!

Aglaope
Peisinoe
Thelxiepeia

Jack Newcastle
08-31-2010, 06:02 AM
I can get around with Greek, and used it a bit in my novel. I'm not an expert, and am unfamiliar with the names, but I'd probably go with:

Ag-LA-o-pay (Greek 'g' is at the back of the palate and a little open. Like you're gargling)
Pey-SI-no-ay
Theel-XI-pi-ya (Greek 'X' is again at the back of the palate, but with more air than the 'g'.

Hope that helps. Learning a bit about the IPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet) is invaluable.

Regards,

Jack

fredXgeorge
08-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks. That's pretty similar to what I had in mind. I major in Ancient Civilisations so I have some idea of Greek names but I don't study mythology til second year. I've bookmarked that IPA page.

bertrigby
08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
The 'x' in this case is ξ rather than χ (Θελξιέπεια). That's a 'ksi', which makes an x sound like in English. Also, ιε is not a diphthong so it would be pronounced separately. 'Thelxiepeia' becomes 'thel-ksi-EH-paya' or 'thel-ksi-EH-peeya' if you're going with a modern Greek pronunciation.

Similarly you'd have 'agh-la-OH-pee' in Modern Greek (η is an i/ee sound along with lots of other vowels! - and the stress is on the omicron) and 'pee-see-NOH-ee'.

Of course it's entirely up to you whether you go for a modern Greek or Erasmean pronunication for Ancient Greek names. Neither is more correct, and it just depends what you're more comfortable with.

p.s. slightly OT but I was drawn in by the thread name...κάποιες Έλληνες εδώ; Είμαι Αγγλίδα αλλά μιλάω λίγω Ελληνικά. Πρέπει να έχουμε ένα thread Ελληνικό, ναι;

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
p.s. slightly OT but I was drawn in by the thread name...κάποιες Έλληνες εδώ; Είμαι Αγγλίδα αλλά μιλάω λίγω Ελληνικά. Πρέπει να έχουμε ένα thread Ελληνικό, ναι;

Well, ναι, but I haven't come across any others apart from me :D.

To the OP: if you need any more help with Greek feel free to pm me.