Anyone ever work the graveyard shift?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been calling about jobs, and it looks like I have a very good shot at one but it's overnight (from about 12:30am to 9am). If I pass on this one and ask to be considered for the other job (another location) that's day shift, who knows if I'll get that or not...

I've only ever worked night shift for a week. It wasn't horrid, and aside from getting really tired around 4am, I did get used to it. (And then of course I switched back to another shift, go figure)

But for those of you who have done it for more than a week, do you adjust and stay adjusted? Is it a total wreck? Do you manage to sleep a proper 8 hours once you're adjusted?

I don't have kids or an SO, so that's not a problem. The week I spent on the graveyard shift I would even go in early and wander around the building chatting with other late night workers. I expect keeping busy will help me not crash at 4am?

And is it better or worse in the winter when it gets dark so early??

Basically, just share with me everything you can :D I might get a call back this afternoon or this week :eek:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I adored working the midnight shift. Absolutely ADORED it. Would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Seriously.

Yeah, you get used to the change in sleep patterns. I had two kids under the age of 3 when I worked midnights and I still got used to it, even with the interruptions. Keeping busy helps the 4am sleepies, but once you're adjusted to it (about 2-3 weeks) then it's not so hard.

Good luck, Fenika. Hope you get the job!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The times in my life that I have worked nights were good for me, but I am a night person anyway. I think it really depends if you turn into a pumpkin, say, after 11:00 or 12"00. Some folks are only day folks. Whatever you choose to do, best wishes.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked graveyard for close to 15 years (with and without a child in the house), and yes, eventually you get used to it. Just have to shift your time frame forward (or backward ;))

The hardest part is being able to sleep during the day - not only because it's light out but because you have to deal with daytime noise. Dark blinds and ear plugs do wonders. But yeah, given my druthers I'd work nights. Some days I think otherwise, but that has more to do with the job than the time frame.

The best part, for me, is leaving work just as the day is beginning (currently I get off at 7 AM).

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Invest in some of those sun-blocking curtains for your room and/or one of the night masks that covers your eyes. (I have a hard time sleeping past dawn because of the light; mine's pink with a cute little bow. ;) ) And ear plugs. Definitely ear plugs.

I loved working the night-shift a few years back. It took me some time to adjust; the human body is used to sleeping during night-time hours. If you're one who likes to stay up really, really late anyway, you might not have too much of a problem.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The times in my life that I have worked nights were good for me, but I am a night person anyway. I think it really depends if you turn into a pumpkin, say, after 11:00 or 12"00. Some folks are only day folks. Whatever you choose to do, best wishes.

See, I'm more the 'turn into a pumpkin' type, but the week I endured nights I was able to survive until 4am at least... And usually I'm in bed early but somtimes I'll be up til 11 or 12am when a wild hair catches me. But I was surprised how well I survived that week :)

I've worked graveyard for close to 15 years (with and without a child in the house), and yes, eventually you get used to it. Just have to shift your time frame forward (or backward ;))

The hardest part is being able to sleep during the day - not only because it's light out but because you have to deal with daytime noise. Dark blinds and ear plugs do wonders. But yeah, given my druthers I'd work nights. Some days I think otherwise, but that has more to do with the job than the time frame.

The best part, for me, is leaving work just as the day is beginning (currently I get off at 7 AM).

I will have to get a house in the country, set off from the road and neighbors :D

And thank you to everyone else who weighed in. Looks like many of you had the same experience. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I never have, although I tried for a few jobs with it.

I'd actually prefer one if possible, less people to put up with.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I have and I never adjusted. I worked 12 midnight to 8am for about two years and my sleep cycles never got reconciled to the difference. No matter how dark I made my bedroom, I could not ever sleep well during the day....never until it was dark outside so even in winter, I got not nearly enough sleep.

Working graveyard shift messed up my meal cycles and more.

I would not do it again - then I was single now with a husband and kids, no frigging way.

It affects different people in different ways but I'm more of a lark than a night owl so that may be why.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did it for about a month in graduate school (I was working on insects that are only active at night). It wasn't so bad after the first week.

There is something I call a "third shift syndrome." People who work third shift seem to do nothing but work and sleep. Even if the job is 8 pm to 5 am, they'll sleep from 6 am to about 6 pm. They also have a completely different perception of time. My third shift friends seem genuinely mystified when I don't want to help them move furniture at 11:30 pm, and anything that they say will take 30 minutes (such as moving furniture) takes two hours. I'll admit my sample size is pretty small, but third shifters are just ... different.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm by nature an owl. And I could sleep standing in a corner in the midst of a wild party. I would love to work third shift. Alas, my clients seem to be of the opinion I should be available during 'normal' business hours.

If the job is offered: could you take it, try it for a month or two? If it was too onerous let them know you love working for them, but the night shift just doesn't work and could you change?

MM

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
'Way back when I worked nights, I hit the formula that worked for me: take a nap for a couple of hours in the late evening, get up, go to work, come home, go to bed, get up just after lunch. Gave me 6 or 7 hours of daylight wakefulness. By which time I was ready to nap for a couple of hours. :)

A thermos flask of hot soup works wonders at 4am.

-Derek

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I will have to get a house in the country, set off from the road and neighbors :D

And thank you to everyone else who weighed in. Looks like many of you had the same experience. :)

I've work from 7p-7:30a for the last five years. It has its pros and cons. For me, the best part is fewer chiefs running around interfering. The indians get to be indians. The worst part is being on a different schedule than the rest of the world and feeling tired around 1 p.m. on your days off.

Last year I moved to a house on a dead end street, across from a giant sub-station and lined on the other three sides by nothing but trees. We moved here because it's quiet in the daytime. Also, I've place solarfoam over my bedroom window so it's very dark. Between these two things, sleeping in the daytime is easy.

Oh, and if you take the third shift, be sure to put a nasty looking sign on your door stating that you're a day sleeper and that anyone who rings the bell is at risk of being shot. Sometimes people actually read it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do worry about my meal cycles- though I do already eat every few hours right now (and have for two-three years). I think I'd be prone to gaining weight as I ate food in an attempt to stay awake (caffeine is right out, excluding moderate amounts of dark chocolate)

If the job is offered: could you take it, try it for a month or two? If it was too onerous let them know you love working for them, but the night shift just doesn't work and could you change?

A month or two- No, unless the day shift position at this location opened up and someone more senior to me (ie- almost everyone) didn't snatch it up. After 6 months, maybe. After a year, getting warmer.

The main problem is there are hiring bonuses associated with this position and you end up a bit dug in once you say yes. I haven't yet asked about the terms, but will once appropriate (starting with 'Should a day shift position at this plant become available, would I be high on the list for consideration?')

'Way back when I worked nights, I hit the formula that worked for me: take a nap for a couple of hours in the late evening, get up, go to work, come home, go to bed, get up just after lunch. Gave me 6 or 7 hours of daylight wakefulness. By which time I was ready to nap for a couple of hours. :)

A thermos flask of hot soup works wonders at 4am.

-Derek

See, that doesn't sound bad, except most people technically need 8 hours straight. But if all else fails, it certainly makes sense to divide up your night. And then you get the whole middle of the day to do stuff...

And hot soup or stew sounds most excellent :D Unless I get so warm and content I pass out 30 minutes later ;)

There is something I call a "third shift syndrome." People who work third shift seem to do nothing but work and sleep. Even if the job is 8 pm to 5 am, they'll sleep from 6 am to about 6 pm. They also have a completely different perception of time. My third shift friends seem genuinely mystified when I don't want to help them move furniture at 11:30 pm, and anything that they say will take 30 minutes (such as moving furniture) takes two hours. I'll admit my sample size is pretty small, but third shifters are just ... different.

I hope I don't sleep for 12 hours, but I just might! And I will watch out for third shifters wanting 'quick' favors ;)

The worst part is being on a different schedule than the rest of the world and feeling tired around 1 p.m. on your days off.

Last year I moved to a house on a dead end street, across from a giant sub-station and lined on the other three sides by nothing but trees. We moved here because it's quiet in the daytime. Also, I've place solarfoam over my bedroom window so it's very dark. Between these two things, sleeping in the daytime is easy.

Oh, and if you take the third shift, be sure to put a nasty looking sign on your door stating that you're a day sleeper and that anyone who rings the bell is at risk of being shot. Sometimes people actually read it.

Was there anything you did to help your sleep cycle on your days off? (Or anyone for that matter)

I will make sure to put in a fake door bell that only rings faintly by the door so the fools ignoring the sign will think it rang throughout the house :D

Plus there's a lot of rural in this area, thank goodness.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I loved working midnights. I loved getting off work and going to the lake for the day while most folks were going to the grind.

It's better in a larger community where there are a variety of meal choices at 7-9 a.m.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I drive an hour I'll have lots of meal choices :)

The lake or the park would be nice though, particularly when it's quiet. Or the beach.

Carterpot

Banned
Reaction score
I used to work in a graveyard building gazebos and various other landscaping jobs. I got the sack though.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I worked 3rd to babysit the servers and important programs that ran all night. I really liked it. The early morning weather is so beautiful; I loved 'starting' the day so early :)

I broke up my sleep pattern into 2 chunks so I could be social and do things with non-3rd folks. I naturally tend towards two 'naps' rather than a straight 8 hours, though. And I'm a night owl+early riser naturally.

It's hard to say! People very so much on how much circadian rhythms affect them. I'm an alien or something ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued advice, folks.

I really really really want a job and I hope I get a call soon.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kept trying to tell my last boss "I don't do mornings." I might be in the office at 8am, but I'm not actually awake.

Got my graveyard shift back with this job and I'm so much happier. I'm an owl and have never had any problems sleeping in the sun or through the noise of daylight hours.

Not sure about adjusting if you're not naturally an owl. I never adjusted to day shift despite getting stuck with it for about five years.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I adjust well enough, and at least I have the one week of graveyard shift to go by. I was tired but never in danger of wrecking my car on the way home. That's a good start ;)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I worked graveyard on the police dept for a year -- 11-7 or 12 -8. You need to live somewhere that you can actually sleep during the day -- if the house next door to you is under construction, it's going to be a problem. Other than than that, yu'd be amazed at how well you can adapt.

The hard thing is that if you revert to a normal schedule on your days off, you never quite get used to it. But if you don't, you end up wide awake at three am alone on your days off when everyone else is sound asleep.

And there was a two month winter stretch where the inversion caused a thick yellow fog as soon as the sun went down. Wake up to darkness and soupy mist, work all night in it, go to sleep just as the few hours of clear daylight appear, rinse, repeat. I started getting a bit weird.

But I loved working the shift, I will admit.

But for a real stressor, try what they call relief shift:

Mon, Tues -- midnight - 8:00.

Wed, Thurs -- 4:00 - midnight

Fri -- 8:am - 4:00 pm

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, mixing shifts is the worst thing ever. There are a lot of 'relief positions' open right now, and I found out you could be sent anywhere to work at any hour. It's bad enough driving over an hour every so often, without adding unexpected midnight shifts to the works. I'd rather just work the graveyard and adjust.

SueLahna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordvagabond.com
My boyfriend of seven months has been doing overnights for the past year with Hanafords, and now Stop and Shop.

He doesn't really have a "staying awake" problem with it anymore, and as long as he naps at some point he can keep going as long as he wants. Half the time he comes home and wakes me up at 8am and wont even fall asleep himself, but I'll doze off for at least another hour.

He likes the work. His hair can change to whatever color it wants (this summer its gone from red, to teal, to emerald green) and he gets paid more than day crew. The only downside- its effing evil when you're on a diet. You end up buying the worst junkfood on breaks.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the trick is to get up 'right' before work, just like most folks and their day jobs.

Thanks for chiming in :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I used to work security. I more than once did shifts of 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, and 10pm-6am on consecutive days. I once worked 45 days without a single day off. It was not unusual for me to work 6pm-6am on several consecutive days or to be called in on my day off with 1-1/2 hours notice.

Blackout curtains are great, but the worst part of the overnight deal is that I tended to lose track of what day it was, I had a 40-minute drive home into the morning sun and it was all I could do to stay awake, and I'm a day peson so I'd always be awake by Noon or 2pm at the latest and would have to do things in the heat of the afternoon and then take a nap before getting up to go to work.

It played unholy hell with my so-called social life as well.