PDA

View Full Version : Psychological thriller - mentor / writing partner wanted

em606
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for a mentor / writing buddy to read my work and help me develop a psychological thriller. I've been working on it in fits and starts for nearly a year (around full time work and finishing my degree part time) and what was at one point 10,000 words looking promising to grow into a novel is now down to 3,500 words - it seems for every few thousand words I write, I edit down double. I've got vast amounts of supporting material to draw on - timelines, a diary written in character, episodes from the story written out in full etc.

I've studied Creative Writing and gained a Diploma with the Open University, so I'm used to taking criticism and applying it, but I'm also confident enough to know when to stay true to my vision. I do still have THE FEAR that I'm not a good writer and am terrified of veering into 'chick-lit' territory due to my theme.

I'm interested in publication eventually, but I'm a long way off ready at present.

The outline plot is as follows.

Georgia meets Richard on a university field trip, and is pleased to find he is her final year tutor. Their relationship develops into friendship and they keep in touch after her graduation, though they see each other infrequently. However, she is secretly infatuated with him and over time this develops into a dangerous obsession.

The opportunity to meet Richard again at a conference sets in motion a chain of events which exposes this obsession, culminating in Georgia becoming unhinged and taking Richard hostage.

I'm interested in charting Georgia's journey from having a 'harmless crush' to being utterly obsessed and the way 'normal' behaviour becomes unhealthy.

I've posted some up here for reference: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190202

I'm very happy to trade, and work well in a writing 'tag team'. I've found I'm a pretty good editor, even if the style is vastly different to mine.

Thanks in advance for any willing volunteers!

em

Seth
08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi,
I'd be willing to do a trade: I am writing a thriller too more action than psychology. Previously I wrote a detective novel set in Paris in 1930.
The stuff I am working on now won't be up for comment/feedback until the end of the year for this one I want to finish the first rough draft and then do a quick edit before I start looking in to it oo much.

I'd be happy to give you feedback on your writing as and when you want it if this works I'd hope we could have a long term writing relationship and so don't worry if you are sending me work to look at whilst I am not sending you anything. If you really want I can send you a copy of the detective story. I'm not really looking for fedback on that one though, I am chalking it up to experience lerning how to write through writing. So that would just be if you feel self concious about sending work to someone whose work you haven't read.

I am not too hot on grammer although I have read a few editing books eg How to Self Edit and Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. I have also read a fair few how to write books recently On Writing by Stephen King which impressed - I am not a King fan I was half expecting a book on horror fiction cliches but it was actually full of good advice for any writer (an a biography of himself as a writer)
I am not in any writing groups etc (other than online like this forum) .
I would also be happy if you want to bounce ideas off someone.
I promise I won't flatter you unless you deserve it and any criticism will be accompanied by some example on how I think it could be improved nor will I be in any way offended if you don't take my advice. Hopefully you'll do the same for me.
I work ful time and have two young kids (4 and 2) so I only get the chance to do this stuff in the evenings I see you are in Yorkshire so we are in the same timezone.

Let me know if you are interested.

Seth

em606
08-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Haha, you're a techie! I shall message you.... oddly not about what I had in mind beforehand, but I've got a feeling you might be useful to polish up a couple of screenplays I've got lying around (15 and 30mins repsectively( - I think you might like them based on what you say there.

I've already had two fabulous offers so as long as these work out, I should be kept busy for now.

Thanks AW!

creativejon
02-13-2011, 01:58 AM
d

creativejon
02-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I would very much enjoy helping you develop a psychological thriller.

your idea is a nice start....I would enjoy talking more about things with you and bouncing ideas off one another.

email me to talk more: creativejon@hotmail.com