PDA

View Full Version : Canadian agents

Makyelin
08-30-2010, 05:30 AM
So I'm from Canada, and from what research I've done, I understand that there are a limited number of Canadian agents and they are all very difficult to get published with. So is it worth my time to simply query american agents? I realize that usually an agent takes %15 from domestic clients and %20 international clients; does this change if I have an american citizenship, even though I'm living in Canada? I may be mistaken on a few of these details, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

KTC
08-30-2010, 05:38 AM
You don't get 'published' with an agent.

Research your agents and query the ones you feel you will fit best with, whether they're American or Canadian.

Makyelin
08-30-2010, 05:46 AM
Ok, sorry, I know you don't get published with agents. I just mispoke (or mistyped?). But thanks for the advice.

Ryan_Sullivan
08-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Your citizenship doesn't really matter--it's about them working (or co-agenting) in places that are foreign to them. I don't know much about agents from different countries, but in general, you could probably query either, unless your book is much better for one country's market. If you decide you want an American agent, you shouldn't have a problem, nor should you with a Canadian agent.

Kathleen42
08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I realize that usually an agent takes %15 from domestic clients and %20 international clients; does this change if I have an american citizenship, even though I'm living in Canada? I may be mistaken on a few of these details, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you talking about an agent's take on domestic sales vs foreign sales? That shouldn't have anything to do with where you, yourself are located (at least as far as I know--guys, feel free to jump in and correct me).

I agree with KTC about the best fit. And, as Ryan indicated, you can certainly sign with an agent in either country. Lots of Canadian authors have agents in the US and plenty of others choose to go with Canadian agents.

Makyelin
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok sweet. Thanks everyone. This really helps.

AngelaA
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a Canadian agent and being in Canada doesn't limit her in any way. She sells her clients books in the US and abroad.

Personally, I like have a Canadian agent, not only can I meet with her for lunch to have person to person chats but she really knows her stuff.

Don't discount the Canadians...there are some gems out there that have a very impressive list.

Barber
08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm a Canadian with an American agency. The only hurdle I reached was what to fill out as my Tax ID# on the contract, since we don't have that here. We have a SIN, which is our version of SSN, but nothing for Tax ID#.

The boss man at the agency said we'll sort that out when we make the sale.

But other than that, there's no difference. Writers have agents on the opposite side of the globe from them.