PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Least Favorite Brands of Soda

Vito
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Favorites:

Diet RC Cola -- Great taste, refreshing, just the right amount of carbonation, and less expensive than Coke or Pepsi.

A&W Diet Cream Soda -- This stuff is amazing.

Least favorites:

Wal Mart Diet Root Beer: I usually don't have any problem with generic store-brand products, but this stuff just doesn't taste like root beer.

Shasta Cola & Diet Cola: I really love Shasta's fruit-flavored sodas, cream soda, and root beer, but I've always thought that their cola and diet cola have a seriously funky taste.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm a Coca-Cola girl, m'self. Preferably fully loaded with all the sugar it can hold. And if it's from Mexico, even better. I don't know why the ones bottled in Mexico taste so much better, but they do. Can't beat 'em for the burp-producing quality, either. :D

kaitiepaige17
08-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Favorite: Vanilla coke

Least favorite: any kind of diet drink

rhymegirl
08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Welllllllllllllllll....

I am not supposed to drink soda. But, sometimes I do. If and when I do, I choose either ginger ale or caffeine free Coca Cola.

Vito
08-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Orange Crush

:Thumbs:

firedrake
08-30-2010, 12:51 AM
I dunno if it's strictly soda, but I love, love, love Izze Pomegranate flavor.

Can't find it in the UK :cry:

Vito
08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Welllllllllllllllll....

I am not supposed to drink soda. But, sometimes I do.

OK, let me get this straight: You're not supposed to drink soda, but sometimes you do drink soda? Well, hey...sometimes we all need to get a little crazy, every now and then. ;)

backslashbaby
08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Diet Coke with Lime, but you can't find that any more :(

Put the lime in the coconut [Coke, you nut], and drink them both together,
Put the lime in the coconut, and then you fell better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wg_L0wGTyA&feature=related :D

WendyNYC
08-30-2010, 01:14 AM
My parents rarely let me drink soda as a kid, and I still don't like it. That said, Orangina is pretty good. My kids like this weird guava-flavored Mexican soda, which I think is way too sweet. My least favorite is ginger ale, because it reminds me of morning sickness. (I drank waaaay too much of it then, because it seemed to help, and now, bleh. No thanks.)

ETA: Just to clarify, my parents were more the grow-your-own-food hippie types rather than latte-sipping helicopter parents. Now my dad drinks Coke. WTH?

Susie
08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
I bet I'm one of the few folks who has never had soda in their life. I took one sip and didn't like the fizz. :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-30-2010, 01:27 AM
I enjoy Coke, Mello-Yello, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, and I used to like Mr. Pibb, before they changed the formula.

I hate any and all diet drinks. I cannot stand the taste of Aspartame. Doesn't matter what the soda is supposed to be Coke, Root Beer, 7-Up, they all taste the same to me--of aspartame.

I'm a Coca-Cola girl, m'self. Preferably fully loaded with all the sugar it can hold. And if it's from Mexico, even better. I don't know why the ones bottled in Mexico taste so much better, but they do. Can't beat 'em for the burp-producing quality, either. :D

It's because American Coke uses corn syrup. Mexican Coke uses real sugar.

rhymegirl
08-30-2010, 01:59 AM
OK, let me get this straight: You're not supposed to drink soda, but sometimes you do drink soda? Well, hey...sometimes we all need to get a little crazy, every now and then. ;)

Yes. I'm a crazy kinda girl.

Vito
08-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Yes. I'm a crazy kinda girl.
Wild and crazy! :partyguy:

CatSlave
08-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Okra Cola. :D

I'm from the South.

brainstorm77
08-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Diet Pepsi.

Shadow_Ferret
08-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Okra Cola. :D

I'm from the South.
I thought in the South every soda was called Coke. :)

Diet Pepsi.

is that your favorite or least favorite? Or is it both?

brainstorm77
08-30-2010, 03:54 AM
is that your favorite or least favorite? Or is it both?

I don't drink soda much. But when I do, it's the only one I drink.

LOG
08-30-2010, 04:12 AM
I have had about...four pops in the last year.
That's excessive for me.

Usually I go for orange/grape sodas, or if I can find it, root beer.

L.J.
08-30-2010, 04:24 AM
I only like the first one, or two sips of coke, then it just leaves an icky taste in my mouth. Haven't drank any in a long time.

I'm an iced tea girl all the way.

CACTUSWENDY
08-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Only the real thing here....Coke a Cola. W00t!

CatSlave
08-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I thought in the South every soda was called Coke. :)
Actually, Co-Cola.

Death Wizard
08-30-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm a huge Diet Coke fan, though Diet Pepsi also is okay. Otherwise, I don't drink any kind of soda. I usually go from Diet Coke at lunch to Mich Ultra Light after dinner!

Shadow_Ferret
08-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Actually, Co-Cola.

My wife's southern relatives call everything Coke. Pepsi Coke. Orange Coke.

poetinahat
08-30-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm very much a fan of ginger beer, though some brands (Bundaberg, for example) are much, much better than others.

I'm also a big fan of chinotto, which is similar in colour to cola, but tastes more like Campari - it's got a lovely bitterness to it. I'm also a fan of the other Italian fizzy drinks - aranciata, limonata, aranciata rosso, and the like. In a cafe or a restaurant, I'll have one or two of these.

If I'm in a pub, I'll have a tonic and lime or a lemon, lime and bitters (Sprite, a splash of lime cordial/Rose's lime juice, and Angostura bitters).

In my younger days (grad school), a friend of mine used to stay up all night watching John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies, smoke cigars, and drink Flaming Arrows. Simple formula: fill a glass half full with Cherikee Red (local brand of cherry soda), then top it up with Orange Crush. The colours stay separated for a while. Good fun.

Medievalist
08-30-2010, 05:32 AM
A lot of the micro pubs here make their own non-alcoholic root beer.

It is amazing. I've tried it five or six times at different brew pubs, and they were all slightly different and all lovely.

With homemade vanilla ice cream it makes an incredible float.

I love that there's something for my friends who don't drink, or hate beer, that's local and fresh.

Some brew pubs also make their own ginger beer--this too is non-alcoholic, and it tends to be more ginger and less sweet than the usual sorts of ginger ale.

Jamaican Ginger beer, bottled and available in four-packs is also lovely and non-alcoholic.

And when I can buy Mexican cane sugar Coca-cola, or Kosher coca-cola (also made with cane sugar but usually only available right around Pesach) I do.

Ken
08-30-2010, 05:44 AM
... Dr Brown's is my favorite brand. I like their Black Cherry and Root Beer soda.

MaryMumsy
08-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Totally agree, even though I maybe drink 3-4 a year. The bottled in Mexico tastes better because it is made with real cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. Tastes like when we were kids OFG. The Costcos here in Phoenix sell it. JeanneTGC and I call it 'crack coke'.

MM

Xelebes
08-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Stewart's Root Beer, whenever I can justify the cost.

Dad's Root Beer for nostalgia sakes.

A&W Root Beer for quality on a budget.

rugcat
08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
A lot of the micro pubs here make their own non-alcoholic root beer.

It is amazing. I've tried it five or six times at different brew pubs, and they were all slightly different and all lovely.

With homemade vanilla ice cream it makes an incredible float. Absolutely. Here's a review site (http://www.rootbeerreviews.com/brews/brewmain.html) for rootbeer lovers that will make your mouth water. For a while we used to be able to get Rawhide Rootbeer, out of Colorado which is just flat out tasty -- compared to A&W cans it's like a fine wine as compared to a cheap bottle of screwtop.

When I was a kid they had a locally made white birchbeer in the Pennsylvania mountains that I loved with a passion. Tasted vaguely of peppermint.

But the all time classic was the old time coke that they don't make any more. Heavy wasp waisted green glass bottle. Only the six ounce bottles tasted right -- the larger ones weren't the same. Stick it in the freezer and watch it carefully, take out just before it began to freeze, so it was as cold as possible.

Nector of the gods. Maybe Mexican coke is similar -- never had it.

Medievalist
08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Nector of the gods. Maybe Mexican coke is similar -- never had it.

Right down to the bottles, and the funny chest-type coke machines.

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Hmm, it must be an Australian brand otherwise I was sure someone would've mentioned it - favourite ever cola brand: Schweppes Cola. They used to sell it at the shops next door to my High School, and I'd drink 2L of it over 2 days. Cheaper than Coke or Pepsi. IMO tasted better - it was my crack of choice.

Sadly, while Schweppes is still available in most shopping centres where I live, they NEVER have the Cola... maybe the Cola got edged out by Coke and Pepsi, I don't know, but it gives me a sad to think that I can buy Schweppes Lemonade, which is alright, but can't get the best Cola I ever tasted... :(

My second High School favourite was Dr. Pepper. Seriously, though, it must be the world playing tricks on me, cos you can't get that where I live (or if you can, it's bloody well hidden!) anymore... *has another sad*

In a pinch, Coke'll do. I'm a purist - if I want a mixer for some alcohol, I go straight to the Coke, never Pepsi or some lesser-known brand... And Coke in CANS is the BEST. When they still had the glass bottles, that was second best. And for some reason, of all the plastic bottles that are available to me, the ones at the Ice-Cream stand taste best. :D

I'll take practically any soda in a can as preference to my favourite soda in a plastic bottle (except Schweppes Cola or Dr. Pepper...). Even Ginger Beer, which I don't really like. But if it's in a can, I know it's going to give me more pleasure than a plastic bottle of Coke...

Now if only I could get a can of Schweppes Cola!!! *tears hair out* They must have it available SOMEWHERE!!

night-flyer
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Coke is my number one favorite, but I also like A&W Rootbeer, A&W Cream soda, and Orange Crush-especially if it's in a glass bottle.

I don't like Pepsi, Grape, or anything diet--can't get the after taste to go away!

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm not a big fan of Diet stuff either.

Caffeine-free tastes average, but sugarless is just gross.

I like my drinks fully-loaded, packin' heat and takin' names.

night-flyer
08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I like my drinks fully-loaded, packin' heat and takin' names.

lol! Sounds deadly! I don't know what you've been drinking, but it doesn't sound like soda...maybe something from The Bent Nail Saloon?:D

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 10:34 AM
A yard-glass of Absinthe goes a long way...

night-flyer
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
A yard-glass of Absinthe goes a long way...

That could wipe the diet taste right off of the old tastebuds!:D

cray
08-30-2010, 05:33 PM
fav: arm & hammer
least: caustic soda

Lavern08
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Favorite = Canada Dry Ginger Ale (on the rare occasions I drink soda)

Least Favorite = Anything Diet

I mean really, if you're gonna drink soda, drink real soda or else just have a glass of water for Pete's sake. :tongue

DeleyanLee
08-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh, ginger beer. Ol' Tyme Ginger Beer is the best, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Very sad.

I also like ginger ale, but ONLY if it's Vernors. Everything else is ginger-flavored water.

But I'm in heaven right now 'cause Pepsi's got its "Throwback" version out. I'm buying up as much of that as I can get my hands on. Now THAT is what Pepsi's supposed to taste like.

Least favorite is Dr. Pepper and anything fruit-flavored.

As a kid, we used to have a saying that "Coke is Pepsi left out in the summer sun for three days. Dr. Pepper is Coke with a dead fly dissolved in it." Sums up my extreme dislike for Dr. Pepper.

Of course, DP is my kids' favorite soda. *sigh*

Vito
08-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow, lots of hate for diet soda on this thread! ;)

I enjoy diet drinks. I think they taste great, and they're a crucial bulwark against being forced to relive my traumatic (yet thankfully short-lived) "fat kid" experiences during early adolescence. (Insert "fat kid smiley" here).

rhymegirl
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I can't stand diet soda. Tastes like sh*t.

Most of the time I just drink WATER.

Cliff Face
08-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I prefer water over soda.

If the water is boiling hot, poured over coffee grounds and sugar, and topped up with milk... ;)

delaford321
08-31-2010, 03:56 AM
My favorite soda is Diet Dr. Pepper. I used to drink regular, but switched because the calories were bad. My least favorite soda is Pepsi.

Death Wizard
08-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Wow, lots of hate for diet soda on this thread! ;)

I enjoy diet drinks. I think they taste great, and they're a crucial bulwark against being forced to relive my traumatic (yet thankfully short-lived) "fat kid" experiences during early adolescence. (Insert "fat kid smiley" here).

I can only drink diet sodas. Regular sodas taste horrible to me.

Cliff Face
08-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Never had Mr Pibb.

Must be a foreign thing.

backslashbaby
08-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Have you had Dr. Pepper? Same sort of thing. I like them both.

benbradley
08-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Favorite: Fresca. Some people just assume it has sugar, or "isn't a diet soft drink" or whatever. I sometimes get Diet Sprite or Diet 7-Up for a slight change of pace (all these in 2-liter bottles), and when I can't get anything else (as at a soda fountain) I'll get Diet Coke. Diet Coke was my favorite for many years, but over time I've gravitated towards Fresca.

Least: Tab. Probably many posters are fortunate never to have experienced Tab, and it appears the others have blotted it out of their minds.

ETA: It appears Rhymegirl may have tasted Tab.

Cliff Face
08-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, I've had Dr. Pepper. Loved it.

And Tab too... I thought it was alright. Nothing special.

rugcat
08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Favorite: Fresca. Fresca is undrinkable.

Least: Tab. Probably many posters are fortunate never to have experienced Tab, and it appears the others have blotted it out of their YES. Tab is an abomination.

Medievalist
08-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Yahoo.

Evil evil vile substance.

They said it was chocolate!

They lied.

I'd rather drink warm Zima than Yahoo.

Vito
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Yahoo.

Evil evil vile substance.

They said it was chocolate!

They lied.

I'd rather drink warm Zima than Yahoo.

Hey, Medievalist...that funky chocolate soda is named "Yoo Hoo", not Yahoo! :)