Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I've been doing a lot of speed-walking the past couple of years, which is great. But I've recently developed plantar faciitis in my right heel, for the first time in my life. And I can't seem to get it healed up. Any advice?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd see a doc, see what they say.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Well I got this from google;

Overview
Plantar fasciitis is irritation and swelling of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot.

Symptoms
The most common complaint is pain in the bottom of the heel. It is usually worst in the morning and may improve throughout the day. By the end of the day the pain may be replaced by a dull aching that improves with rest.
Most people complain of increased heel pain after walking for a long period of time.

Treatment
Conservative treatment is almost always successful, given enough time. Treatment can last from several months to 2 years before symptoms get better. Most patients will be better in 9 months.
Initial treatment usually consists of:

• Anti-inflammatory medications
  • Heel stretching exercises
  • Night splints
  • Shoe inserts
If these fail, putting the affected foot in a short leg cast (a cast up to but not above the knee) for 3-6 weeks is very often successful in reducing pain and inflammation. Alternatively, a cast boot (which looks like a ski boot) may be used. It is still worn full time, but can be removed for bathing.
Some physicians will offer steroid injections, which can provide lasting relief in many people. However, this injection is very painful and not for everyone.
In a few patients, non-surgical treatment fails and surgery to release the tight, inflamed fascia becomes necessary.

Causes
The plantar fascia is a very thick band of tissue that holds up the bones on the bottom of the foot. This fascia can become inflamed and painful in some people, making walking more difficult.
Risk factors for plantar fasciitis include:

• Foot arch problems (both flat foot and high arches)
  • Obesity
  • Running
  • Sudden weight gain
  • Tight Achilles tendon (the tendon connecting the calf muscles to the heel)
A typical patient is an active man age 40-70.
This condition is one of the most common orthopedic complaints relating to the foot.
Plantar fasciitis is commonly thought of as being caused by a heel spur, but research has found that this is not the case. On x-ray, heel spurs are seen in people with and without plantar fasciitis.

Tests & diagnosis
Typical physical exam findings include:

• Mild swelling
  • Redness
  • Tenderness on the bottom of the heel
X-rays may be taken to rule out other problems, but having a heel spur is not significant.

Prognosis
Nearly all patients will improve within 1 year of beginning non-surgical therapy, with no long-term problems. In the few patients requiring surgery, most have relief of their heel pain.

Prevention
Maintaining good flexibility around the ankle, particularly the Achilles tendon and calf muscles, is probably the best way to prevent plantar fasciitis.

Complications
Complications with surgery include:

• Infection
  • Nerve injury
  • No improvement in pain
  • Rupture of the plantar fascia
With other treatments, a complication is continued pain.

When to contact a doctor
Contact your health care provider if you have symptoms of plantar fasciitis.

Maybe you should go see a doctor.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom has PF really bad. I have it but not quite as bad. She has special shoe inserts from the podiatrist, and she never goes barefoot. We both have very high arches, like high enough for a small critter to nestle under the sole of my foot :/ One stretch that helps me feel less wretched is:

first thing in the morning, with your foot at a normal 90 degree angle to your calf, pull all your toes up and hold the stretch for like 30 seconds.

ETA: some schools of thought say a major arch support is helpful. Others say that a lower arch that lets your foot strengthen itself is better. My mom likes a really high arched insert, but I prefer a lower arch. I got fitted for cross-trainer sneakers at the running store, and it was soooo worth paying a little more to have comfy shoes to walk/work out in. I also got some VFF barefoot shoes to help build up the strength in my arches :)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I get this sometimes. Mine never gets better without wearing a splint/brace kind of thing until the pain dies down (several days). I had it months one time because I tried not 'resting' it that way.

I got mine from the web, and it was cheap. I'm sure the doc has something, too, of course. Good luck! That hurts!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The newer rocking shoes (MBT's and Avia itones) have worked really well for me. I think just about every shoe company out there is selling these right now, but I've heard neg reviews on most of the others. I own both of these and they are comparable in performance, but the Avia's run at about 1/3 the cost.

But, I have really high arches so they might not work as well for someone with flatter feet.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of speed-walking the past couple of years, which is great. But I've recently developed plantar faciitis in my right heel, for the first time in my life. And I can't seem to get it healed up. Any advice?

I can sympathise. It's a pain in the, er, foot. I've had it three times, and each time it went on months. Resting up completely helps, as does getting the right type of footwear. Figure out if you're over- or underpronated, and get appropriate running shoes.

And see a doc, obviously. (Not that I did, but I'm an idiot.)

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can sympathise. It's a pain in the, er, foot. I've had it three times, and each time it went on months. Resting up completely helps, as does getting the right type of footwear. Figure out if you're over- or underpronated, and get appropriate running shoes.

And see a doc, obviously. (Not that I did, but I'm an idiot.)

Thanks for the latest tips. I think I'm going to call a doctor tomorrow and try to get in this week. It's a drag to not be able to walk.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This may sound strange, but this site recommends finding a gravel surface and walking on it with your socks on for 10 minutes:

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?id=352&pageid=18
http://chirunning.com/blogs/danny/2010/04/13/plantar-fasciitis-prevention-and-cure/

I'm a runner and swear by the Chi Running/Chi Walking technique, so that's why I checked this site first. When you speed-walk, does your heel hit the ground first? If so, that may be part of the problem. When you're all healed up and ready to walk again, try shortening your stride and landing mid-foot (the barefoot shoes Kitty Pryde mentioned are excellent for improving your form).

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have terrible foot pain in the mornings, could barely walk. I never had it diagnosed.
When I started sleeping on a warm water bed, the pain left and never returned.
Today I'm fine and dandy.

Weird.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This may sound strange, but this site recommends finding a gravel surface and walking on it with your socks on for 10 minutes:

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?id=352&pageid=18
http://chirunning.com/blogs/danny/2010/04/13/plantar-fasciitis-prevention-and-cure/

I'm a runner and swear by the Chi Running/Chi Walking technique, so that's why I checked this site first. When you speed-walk, does your heel hit the ground first? If so, that may be part of the problem. When you're all healed up and ready to walk again, try shortening your stride and landing mid-foot (the barefoot shoes Kitty Pryde mentioned are excellent for improving your form).

This is very interesting. Thank you!

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to have terrible foot pain in the mornings, could barely walk. I never had it diagnosed.
When I started sleeping on a warm water bed, the pain left and never returned.
Today I'm fine and dandy.

Weird.

I'm a Tempur-Pedic fan myself, but that's another story.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Got in my right foot, too... along with bone spurs and tendinitis (that spelling doesn't look right at all, but that's what the spellchecker picked for me!) One of the things that helps me when it's really throbbing is to get a bottle of water, freeze it, and roll it under my foot from toes to heel and back. You'll think you're gonna die, but it really helps. A rolling pin does a great job, too, if you don't like the icy cold - of course, that's the end of the rolling pin for pie dough, so don't use mama's favorite one. Ol' Boy cut me a thick dowel rod - about a foot long - and I use that just to keep it happy. Aleve (or the generic Naproxin Sodium) is essential. Good luck.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Got in my right foot, too... along with bone spurs and tendinitis (that spelling doesn't look right at all, but that's what the spellchecker picked for me!) One of the things that helps me when it's really throbbing is to get a bottle of water, freeze it, and roll it under my foot from toes to heel and back. You'll think you're gonna die, but it really helps. A rolling pin does a great job, too, if you don't like the icy cold - of course, that's the end of the rolling pin for pie dough, so don't use mama's favorite one. Ol' Boy cut me a thick dowel rod - about a foot long - and I use that just to keep it happy. Aleve (or the generic Naproxin Sodium) is essential. Good luck.

Excellent! Thanks. I'll let you know what my doctor says about all this. I like that frozen bottle of water idea a lot!

But what about heat? Should I combine ice with heat?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My doc didn't mention 'heat', as in heating pad type heat. He did suggest soaking my feet in epsom salts solution - but, come to think of it, that was after my ingrown nail surgery. He gave me a long rubber-band kind of exercise thing, too - helps with those morning stretches, gives resistance to work against.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I went to the doctor today, and as it turns out I don't have plantar faciitis after all! I have Achilles tendinitis.

Ha!

So much for self-diagnosing.

So what does one do for that?

I do a lot of walking and sometimes my feet hurt but all I do is soak them in warm water.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks much, everyone! I am indeed going to see a doctor in about 10 days.

Ironically, I do not have high arches. My feet are as flat as a sheet of paper.

I get it ranging from severe to non-existent. When it's really bad I can't believe it will ever go away. Then one day, it's gone. I too have flat feet.

I usually suffer when I wear shoes I like rather than shoes that are good for me. (-;

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I get it ranging from severe to non-existent. When it's really bad I can't believe it will ever go away. Then one day, it's gone. I too have flat feet.

I usually suffer when I wear shoes I like rather than shoes that are good for me. (-;

First time I've ever had it, but man it sure doesn't seem to want to go away. And my feet, size 12, are as flat as a sheet of paper.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
First time I've ever had it, but man it sure doesn't seem to want to go away. And my feet, size 12, are as flat as a sheet of paper.

mine too...size 12 and flat as paper. i was told flat feet is common in natives...one of the traits i received from my grandmother. (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.