PDA

View Full Version : How long to 'train' for a physical feat. And good ideas for feats, please

backslashbaby
08-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I haven't settled on an age for the character, but probably 30-ish.

I need the character to choose a few strength or flexibility, etc, moves that are impressive and difficult. The character practices whatever these are on his/her own (definitely). I want the character to master them.

So, what are some good choices that don't take years to master? I considered speed, too, but I know nothing about how long that takes to master.

Pushups? Splits? Cooler than that, though. They can be from any discipline... just impressive.

Thanks :) It'll probably be a female MC, but I'm not sure yet, so please don't limit any ideas to 'impressive for a girl' or anything like that.

alleycat
08-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Yoga? Pilates? Tai chi is maybe a bit too tame, but there might be an advanced practice (I'm not an expert). One of the Olympic events, such as cross-country skiing or skiing and shooting (I've forgotten what the official name of it is).

benbradley
08-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Do you mean biathlon? The (non-Olympic) event of running and bicycling was also called biathlon but was renamed to duathlon so as not to be confused with the Olympic Biathlon.

How about something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkDO30n_hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRBboFXWno

Start off easy (and skinny and young, apparently):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJD_F_kMdSs

Leg and hip weight/strength training will surely help greatly for this. If your character is a bit pudgy, have her go on a strict diet and build up to distance running to lose weight. She can do it, I KNOW she can! :D

Ben, off to take a jog...

Chase
08-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Training to be a biathlete is nothing compared to the rigors of training to be a cat-skinner, because--as you know--there's more than one way to do it.

thothguard51
08-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Watch a Claude Van Damn movie, or any action hero who has been injured and then work his way back into condition.

shaldna
08-28-2010, 12:05 PM
i ran the Belfast Marathon a couple of years back (26 and a bit miles, although we got diverted by a bomb scare and had to run another mile or so) and prior to that we were running 5 miles a day, with a longer ten mile blast every three or four days - the key is to think of the 26 miles as being blocks of four or five miles, and not one long run.

i've also done some long distance riding with horses - covering 80-100 miles in 24 hours. this required a lot more effort, long term building of fitness and hardening of legs and feet were required

backslashbaby
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks, y'all :) I didn't think of a marathon. That might work very well! How long would it take someone of average fitness to get in total shape for one?

The biathalon is awesome, but it probably takes too long for my story. (If we'd stayed in Chicago [snow], Dad wanted me to learn the biathalon as a kid, aamof!)

Any martial artists reading this? I could see the character choosing some obscure martial art, too. Yoga could work, but I want something that appears edgier. Although, to me, yoga and ballet are both hardcore.

lbender
08-28-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm no martial artist, but any Bruce Lee movie will give you a demonstration of a number of different impressive moves.
Good luck.

glutton
08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Picking up and carrying a full beer keg
Popping open a big plugged bag of nacho cheese bare handed
Opening the gate on a big concession stand window (no chain, pushing straight up)
Moving a 30+ inch CRT TV alone
Biting the top off a beer bottle
Pushing a stuck car
Holding up one end of a car so someone can replace a flat

Everyday examples of hardcore (and lack of preparedness/appropriate help) FTW.

Or maybe crushing an egg held lengthwise?

Edit: Granted, most of these would only be impressive for a smaller person, not so much if they are a decently sized guy.

shaldna
08-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks, y'all :) I didn't think of a marathon. That might work very well! How long would it take someone of average fitness to get in total shape for one?.

It depends on teh person, but bear in mind that you get really fit really quickly when running, but even still I would allow about 3 months at least, more if possible