Broken Chairs and Drunken Flie

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Just sharing a piece of personal misfortune and madness ...

My study is a very compact room. Especially the area behind my desk. There are books on the floor, the case for my slide projector, more books, various cases with various rubbish in them and more books. My desk is an oak knee hole desk. There are drawers on the left and a cupboard on the right. To the right is a book case and next to that is a corner unit (no books but lots of nic nacs) I was watching an episode of Red Dwarf and laughing and generally bouncing on my chair. Said chair was a black office chair, no arm rests and on five wheelie feet. As I laughed and bounced I heard a crack. Then my world changed. I slowly and elegantly started to slide under the desk as the chair, I later found out, had broken a wheely foot. I landed gracefully on my back, clouting my head on the corner of the projector case. I lay there thoughtfully for about five seconds and then had a fit of the giggles. Then, as giggling subsided I wondered if there were any spiders lurking in my vicinity. I giggled a bit more and then realized that I could not move my legs. They were wedged between the edge of the seat and the desk. Not only could I not move them, but I could not slide out backwards due to the projector case. I did try to move it, if flailing my hands about above my head can be so described. All the flailing resulted in was the redistribution of books, some of which landed on me. I did note that there were cobwebs on the ceiling and that I should replace the lampshades. I wriggled about and redistributed even more books. This should have made it easier to move the projector case but the seat of the chair was wedged against the case and it was not possible to move it. I am not sure how I extracted my self but I did. My back was sore and I had a wonderful bump where I had clouted my head. I also found it hard to straighten my legs. I hobbled in a Quasimodo fashion to the sitting room and collapsed into my armchair.

Having poured a soothing scotch and soda I sat back, carefully so as not to aggravate the bump, and relaxed in the peace of my sitting room. The peace was shattered by a buzzing sort of whiney noise and I pondered the possibility that my tinnitus had been aggravated by the clout to my head. When I eventually stood up to go and get some nibbles I realized that the buzzing did not come with me, so to speak, so it was something else. I gathered the nibbles and returned to my chair – and the buzzing. Next to my chair is a table and on the table was an empty bottle of cyder. In the bottle, having obviously imbibed the cyder dregs, was a large fly that was whizzing round in the bottle. It kept on bouncing off the sides of the bottle and falling to the bottom of the bottle. I took the bottle to the back door and held it upside down thinking that it would bounce off the side and fall out. It did not. I clung to the bottom of the bottle and seemed to not want to leave its’ cyder sodden habitat. I tried to talk it out, pointing out all the advantages of the great out doors. I heard my neighbour, on the other side of the fence, clear his throat. I placed the bottle on the path and went back indoors thinking that maybe I was concussed.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
OK - concussed and crazy!

Picture of desk? May take a day or so ...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Wheely feet are of the Devil :ROFL:

I have no drunken flies, but my bumblebees get high on nectar and snooze in my flowers. All the time.

I hope you aren't concussed!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have seriously gone off wheely feet.

I am probably over the worst - the bump has gone, but the place is still tender.

The worst part of the whole thing was my sister and niece laughing uncontrollably when I told them.

Actually the last sentence is a lie. The worst was a friend giving me an identical chair to replace the broken one. She has moved and had no need of it. I lent back and the back rest fell off. The seat wobbles about. I want to get a new chair!