Well, poop....

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Queried about two dozen agents, heard from about 15 who weren't interested, and one who wanted a partial (haven't heard from the others).
Just got the rejection for the partial. I prolly shouldn't have queried with my first draft. Oops. First time writer, call it a newbie mistake. Made a bunch of revisions, but not sure what to do about it now. I don't want to bother the same agents...

Oh, well. :) There are more agents... gotta work on my query, though, a hit rate of 1 in 24 isn't gonna cut it.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
David, My Gosh! Watch your mouth!!! (Sorry, that 'Well poop...' was just too cute not to tease you about it a little).

I won't even say how many partials I've had rejected, mostly 'cuz I can't remeber. I've bounced between different MSs (long time closet writer, so I have a few manuscripts to choose from). I just got a rejection back on a partial, and almost immediately had a request for the same partial from a different agent. Try to be patient enough not to send your first draft...you want to present you BEST, well polished work.

Don't worry 'bout the rejections. I've read your work and I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be patient and keep at it.

Hey, did you post your rejections on the Rejection Slip thread??? We need more to boost our count over there. Join the crowd buddy.

Good luck on your next queries!!! Keep at it and you'll get there.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, storygirl. :) Yeah, I know.... "Well, poop" doesn't imply a great deal of angst. I have been toning down the language because I don't want my daughter to say things like "f-you," or "Oh, S**t!" This has the effect of G-rating my vocabulary even when she isn't around.

Thanks for the vote of confidence about my work. I've really been working hard to get rid of some of the obvious problems with verbosity and over-explanation. I'll be posting the first 5 pages tonight after I get home.

Hey, what's the Rejection Slip Thread?

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Alright David, you are a very prolific queryier....WOW. Go post all those on the 2005 count thread and join the rest of us in misery. Keep going !

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Sorry about the rejections, David. I know the feeling with first drafts. There's that fear of even submitting again after the revisions. But I hope you find some new agents to query. That's pretty good querying! ;)

I'm a parent, too, so I know all about the G-rating of language. Your subject line hit a familiar note with me. Haha.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
Alright David, you are a very prolific queryier....WOW. Go post all those on the 2005 count thread and join the rest of us in misery. Keep going !

Where is that thread?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
David McAfee said:
I have been toning down the language because I don't want my daughter to say things like "f-you," or "Oh, S**t!" This has the effect of G-rating my vocabulary even when she isn't around.

This made me laugh because my 14 month old is starting to talk and I'm really trying to watch my language too...two of his first words were Buck and Duck. I get teased that those are really just versions of my bad language!

Don't get too down on the rejection...I'm currently sitting at 32 rejections for my novel and I'm kicking myself because I wasted some really good agents with a crappy query letter.

I guess I'll have to find that 2005 rejection letter thread too... <leaves with a compass, map and a flashlight to find the thread>

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Hang tough, David. I've had four requests for partial/fulls out of 25--not much better. Alas, one partial was to Psaltis agency while the other partial and two fulls were to PUBLISHERS, and all email to boot. Lately the publishers are showing me some skin and talking to me. I don't think, I know we're in an agent glut right now. Very few are taking on anyone. I'm going to the houses with book number 1, and to the new agent list with book number 2.

Triceratops.

Btw it is called the REJECTION SLIP COLLECTORS CLUB, and the WEEKEND PROGRESS REPORT over at the HUMOR thread.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Oops I walked in the wrong room!

triceretops said:
Hang tough, David. .......

Btw it is called the REJECTION SLIP COLLECTORS CLUB, and the WEEKEND PROGRESS REPORT over at the HUMOR thread.
but people i knew were here so I thought I'd say hey!! I just got my 71st rejection slip!!.

I'll follow you all over to the threads mentioned above and post the details there.

But, I'm not depressed. I'm actually happy I got this latest one. I'm going to pull both novels from my submission list and just keep sending out the shorts for now. I'll be posting both novels, chapter by chapter on the boards here eventually ( Yes, this should be construed as a warning!) for better critique than I've gotten from the people who said "wonderful, send it out" and I hope when that is finished I'll have a better product to bait my queries with. Ok where is the RSP club and the WPR, oh there, through THAT door. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.