RIP Gareth Williams, found dead in a London flat

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/aug/26/gareth-williams-mi6-officer-parents

Gareth Williams's body was discovered in a holdall in the bath of a flat in Pimlico on Monday. Police believe he may have been dead for two weeks.
Williams, a cycling and fitness fanatic who worked at GCHQ, the eavesdropping and security centre, was days from completing a year-long secondment at MI6.
Tests are still being carried out to determine the cause of death. Initial reports that he was stabbed have been proved false. Further tests could determine whether Williams was asphyxiated, and whether drugs or alcohol were present in his system. The toxicology tests are expected to take weeks.

RIP, Gareth.

Is anyone familiar with what a 'secondment' is?

The article mentions no sign of forced entry, but am I crazy for thinking that that doesn't rule out professional foul play?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it's the MI6 bit more than the cycling that has this in the headlines.

If it doesn't interest you, you are free to skip the thread, of course.

eta: ah! Thanks, Derek

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I should think MI6 management are crapping themselves right now.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. See, I'm wondering whether it makes any sense to think he was left in a duffle bag in his bathtub in the course of his private life. I suppose it's possible, but that seems way more convoluted.

He took work home with him. That doesn't sound good, at all.

"Spy" might be a bit much; I can't tell. I know someone we call a spy, but everyone knows s/he's not a spy, really. Just a sensitive position. Still, sensitive enough that ending up dead with who-knows-what missing would be very, very bad.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Same here, a friend of a coworker has a fairly sensitive position and I'd hate to hear something like this happened to him. MI6 will want to look at this carefully.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who's Gareth Williams? Sorry to hear he's dead though, but where should I (or we) know him from?

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I'm afraid it's not so much about who he is but rather what he is.

MI6 (or rather SIS as it's actually called) is Britain's foreign intelligence service. So, this would be equivalent of finding a CIA officer dead. Cue speculation about who offed him.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not so much about who he is but rather what he is.

MI6 (or rather SIS as it's actually called) is Britain's foreign intelligence service. So, this would be equivalent of finding a CIA officer dead. Cue speculation about who offed him.

Gotcha. Thanks. Hmm. A real life spy mystery...very interesting.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I liked this unattributed quote:

"The suggestion there is terrorism or national security links is pretty low down the list of probabilities."
A maths genius (first class degree at seventeen) working for GCHQ, on secondment to MI6, gets dumped dead in a holdall in his bathtub. Of course they're not suspecting national security links. Probably just an argument at his local gym that got out of hand.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I liked this unattributed quote:

A maths genius (first class degree at seventeen) working for GCHQ, on secondment to MI6, gets dumped dead in a holdall in his bathtub. Of course they're not suspecting national security links. Probably just an argument at his local gym that got out of hand.

Actually, they appear to be looking for a gay lover now.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/08/2...tish-spy-may-have-died-at-hands-of-gay-lover/

I mean, it's natural. Math prodigy works for the MI6. Teh gays did it, according to The Sun.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score