PDA

View Full Version : Question about Catholic Priest

Kricket
08-27-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm just needing some information about the training/schooling it takes to be a priest. How long does it take? Is it difficult? What are the requirements? Any personal expertise would be awesome! Also, what is the Catholic Church's view on magic?

GeorgeK
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
It's been so long since I considered going into the seminary that I don't really remember, although I thought that it was a bachelor's degree in theology or the equivalent, so I'd guess 4 years. Someone will wander by with it undoubtedly.

As to magic, that's going to be a "depends". If you talk to a hardliner, they'll say all magic is akin to Satanism. If you talk to a moderate, they'll tell you to take your meds. There are some who would say, "Well, miracles are a type of magic. In dealing with magic one should be sure of the source of that power and shy away from the demonic." The Vatican has an investigative department that they send out to investigate miracles and demonic activity, but I don't remember their name.

So, some would want to investigate it and others would laugh and some would spew hellfire at you.

Said The Sun
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
It's been so long since I considered going into the seminary that I don't really remember, although I thought that it was a bachelor's degree in theology or the equivalent, so I'd guess 4 years. Someone will wander by with it undoubtedly.

I had to do some research a while back for my forbidden never-to-be-published first novel, and I think the whole process (seminary + college etc) takes 8 years, (including ordination.) I think it's only after these 8 years that they take the vow of chastity, and after this, you're basically down a one-way road to priesthood.

I'd take a look at this site: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-someone-become-a-catholic-priest.htm

As for magic I too think they condone it. Not sure though. But I'm inclined to say that Magic to them is considered "evil".

My two cents for what they're worth.

Chris P
08-27-2010, 05:56 PM
You might be able to get some info Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans (http://www.nds.edu/). Or you can call a local catholic church and make an appointment with the priest. Most will be more than happy to chat about their experiences. As George said, though, regarding magic interpretations of church teachings will vary greatly. Your library and if not a local church should have a copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church (http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/), which is the official statement of church doctrine. It's not light reading, and stuff is sometimes hard to find.

Chase
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Fr. Vincent Trujillo at nearby Mount Angel Abbey outside Mt. Angel, Oregon, confirms their seminary road to Roman Catholic priesthood is a minimum of eight years.

For many modern Catholics, the eucharist became a mere memorial meal, a symbol rather than magic turning wine to blood and bread to the body of Christ.

However, to many old line Catholics, the magic is real and in no way evil.

maryland
08-27-2010, 11:55 PM
The Catechism of Christian Doctrine (Catholic Truth Society) has at
Question 182: Does the first Commandment forbid dealing with the devil and superstitious practices?
Answer: The first Commandment forbids all dealing with the devil and superstitious practices, such as consulting spiritualists and fortune tellers, and trusting to charms, omens, dreams and such-like fooleries.
Seems pretty watertight there!
The consecration of the host and wine is far more than magic.

citymouse
08-28-2010, 12:10 AM
My Jesuit mind says first you must define your terms. What do you mean by magic?
My mentor, Luigi Cardinal Raimondi, told me that the powers of darkness are nothing to fool with and neither are the powers of light.

It takes a minimum of eight years for priestly training. Unfortunately these days more and more training is devoted to economics, in this case the art of separating a parishioner from his money, than in preaching the gospels.

Pax et Bonum
C

Kricket
08-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Thank you thank you thank you, everyone! You've really helped me out.