A quick question for New Yorkers: So how's the weather?

Sam Stephens

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samstephens.com
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a novel that is partly set in New York City. It's been a long time since I've been to NYC.

A quick question: In about June/July, the weather is about 70 to 75 degrees, on average (taken from a website that shows city averages).

Is it muggy or sticky, or is the air pretty dry?

And let's say the temp got to 75 during the day. At night time, roughly what would the temp be?

I'm just trying to figure out if my guy needs a jacket or not.

As strange as it sounds, the jacket situation is reasonably important.

Thanks everyone!

cheers
Sam

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in NYC for ten years. The weather varies very widely in the summer -- it can get muggy. But on average, it's more temperate than places inland. I'd sometimes carry a light sweater going out at night in the summer (as much for the blast of A/C that you sometimes found in restaurants and on the subways where it was working) but it wasn't really necessary most days, unless it was raining or especially cool.

The nice thing about New York as a location is that the weather is pretty temperate, so you can actually pick what you want for your story. If you don't want him to wear a coat, just make it warm enough for him not to wear a coat. That's common enough in NYC that nobody who has lived there would bat an eyelash.

Sam Stephens

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samstephens.com
Thanks so much Brooklyn, that really helps!

I actually wanted there to be a warm wind blowing in the city, so I guess that should be fine!

No jacket nessessary, which helps too.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

cheers
Sam

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I think the weather in June is fine, July gets disgustingly hot and humid, more than August IMO, and often stays fairly warm at night. The fun side effect of this is that the garbage begins to cook and smells disgusting.

This year, I haven't worn a jacket since May. I know this because I bought a cute summery one and it mocks me from my closet. Some summers though, yes. It gets cool enough at night.

Either would work in a story.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, right now it's been quite cool after weeks of heat and humidity. July is definitely more of a hot, steamy month than June in most regards, though the subway tunnels are still convection ovens of pure delight... not.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, right now it's been quite cool after weeks of heat and humidity. July is definitely more of a hot, steamy month than June in most regards, though the subway tunnels are still convection ovens of pure delight... not.

There's that distinct smell in subway stations. I don't know if it's ozone from the third rail, or machine oil, or something from the ventilators, but I've never smelled it anywhere else.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
There's some state with a motto about weather: "if you don't like the temperature, wait a few minutes" or something to that effect. In my opinion New York needs to claim ownership of it. Last week is was 55-65 degrees, windy and overcast. These last 3 days? 90-93, BLAZING HOT with no wind and no clouds whatsoever. It drives me crazy.

Said The Sun

foremost, for prose
Registered
Reaction score
Like the above posters said, the summer is so hot and humid it's gross. I call it "soupy" weather. Winter is freezing. Lots of snow, but only about three or four times a winter do we get a very big snow storm resulting in school cancellations and such.
That's my very generic weather description for New England for what it's worth.