PDA

View Full Version : got a request for plot synopsis - help!

c_kat
08-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Well, I just got my first request from an agent for a plot synopsis and the first 50 pages! YIPEE!

But what exactly is a plot synopsis? In my query letter I already included two paragraphs on the story. How does a plot synopsis differ? I assume it includes the ending? And how long should it be? How detailed should it be? Should I include sub plots?

Can I use some of the same wording as I did in the query?

Also, can I send the first 54 pages so that it takes it to the end of the chapter?

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

suki
08-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, I just got my first request from an agent for a plot synopsis and the first 50 pages! YIPEE!

But what exactly is a plot synopsis? In my query letter I already included two paragraphs on the story. How does a plot synopsis differ? I assume it includes the ending? And how long should it be? How detailed should it be? Should I include sub plots?

Can I use some of the same wording as I did in the query?

Also, can I send the first 54 pages so that it takes it to the end of the chapter?

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

First, congratulations.

Second, go to Query letter Hell in Share Your Work (password Vista) - there are "sticky" threads at the top of the page on resources to help you draft a synopsis.

Third, as for the pages, I always stuck strictly to 50 pages, and cut it off at the paragraph end closest to 50 pages. But others go ahead and add a few pages over 50 if needed to get to the end of the scene. Your call.

~suki

svnonnie
08-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi C kat. Go to share your work (password 'vista'), and then to query letter hell. There is a great explanation there ire to writing a synopsis. The folks in that thread will even help you crit once you've finished. Very nice folks hanging out in there

ether
08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
All of this is totally my opinion. Others might have better advice. This is so tricky, because some agents want a 1-page synopsis while others want 7 or 8 pages.

But if the agent didn't specify, I think your guess should vary depending on the length of your MS and genre. For my YA at 72k, I have a synopsis that's a little over two pages and covers the most important points. This is the one I send to agents who don't specify what length/type of synopsis they want.

Also -- yes, include the ending and any plot twists you might have. Anything unique about your MS, make sure to include, but try not to go overboard with names/locations/etc.

Ryan_Sullivan
08-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Generally, you want to stick under 2 pages for a synopsis, unless stated. Don't try to make it literary or intriguing, just tell what happens (and don't leave out the ending). As far as the sample pages, 54 is fine.

c_kat
08-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Thank you. I checked out the synopsis thread and it was very helpful. I wish that I had more time. The agent emailed me the request today. Does that mean I should give it to her tomorrow, or do you think it's okay for me to wait till Monday so that I can spend the weekend on it? :)

Ryan_Sullivan
08-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Monday should be fine. Really though, don't stress about the synopsis. It's the least important part of the submission (in terms of writing). The agent's just looking to get a feel for where your story goes. I can't tell you how many times I've seen agents post on twitter or other places that the synopsis isn't a huge deal.

c_kat
08-27-2010, 05:29 AM
Monday should be fine. Really though, don't stress about the synopsis. It's the least important part of the submission (in terms of writing). The agent's just looking to get a feel for where your story goes. I can't tell you how many times I've seen agents post on twitter or other places that the synopsis isn't a huge deal.

Thanks! I do have a 1-page outline I wrote before I wrote the book, but it doesn't show the character growth or the way the sub-plots interact so I'm trying to write something longer.