PDA

View Full Version : Eeeek! A writing work-shop wants to use my book!

Zefiris
08-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Been contacted on twitter by a lady who runs writing workshops for teens across the UK, in Dubai and in some parts of Europe!

She likes the sound of my soon to be published story and wants to use it in her workshops!

I'm excited!

Still in the middle of sorting out, waiting to hear back from my publisher if they're ok with it before I give permission but...excited!

I'm sure the publisher won't have a problem with it at all either!

I honestly can't believe it, wasn't expecting anything at all like this!

CACTUSWENDY
08-26-2010, 08:11 PM
How very flattering while at the same time....a bit scary. The flatter part is that they must feel your book is very well written, but the scary part would be .....what if they find some areas that are not? :evil (Sure a good way to find any of those typos that slipped through un-noticed.)

Good luck with this.

Phaeal
08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
CGs! Sounds like some guaranteed sales.

How did the workshop leader find out about the book?

thothguard51
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Watch out for scams...

From the sounds of it, she is more than likely going to request you supply the books for free or at a steep discount. Think on it... If not, they would just buy the books and use it as a class assignment without your permission, which they do not need.

This just might me my over-active imagination, but I would be very leery of this without further background checks...

Old Hack
08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I have a professional writer-friend who lives in Dubai and is very aware of the literary world there. If you could let me know the names of the people involved, by private message if you'd prefer, I could ask her to check them out for you.

Zefiris
08-26-2010, 11:07 PM
CGs! Sounds like some guaranteed sales.

How did the workshop leader find out about the book?

Thanks,

They heard about it through my twitter account then onto my blog from that account :)

How very flattering while at the same time....a bit scary. The flatter part is that they must feel your book is very well written, but the scary part would be .....what if they find some areas that are not? :evil (Sure a good way to find any of those typos that slipped through un-noticed.)

Good luck with this.

XD

That's what I'm worried about! I'd hate for the guys & gals on the writing workshops to completely pick it apart! :)

Watch out for scams...

From the sounds of it, she is more than likely going to request you supply the books for free or at a steep discount. Think on it... If not, they would just buy the books and use it as a class assignment without your permission, which they do not need.

This just might me my over-active imagination, but I would be very leery of this without further background checks...

I'm new to writing etc so appreciate any advice like this.

The lady who contacted me is a writer herself with several novels out, it doesn't seem suspicious to me but, I ain't an expert at all.

She did say though that she'll be buying the copy of the book though, nothing mentioned about me supplying free copies & discounts etc.

I'll check it out more first though before commiting!

Thanks, tis greatly appreciated!

sadron
08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Just be careful, twitter is nasty place sometimes. :)

Stijn Hommes
08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Congrats! It sounds like you've got something great going.
I think the lady was just being nice to ask for your permission.
As long as they don't ask you for a steep discount or free books, you've got it nailed :)

Julie Worth
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM

She will invite you over to do a reading in Dubai, all expenses paid. When you arrive a limousine will whisk you to a palatial home where you will be married to a sheikh and held prisoner. You will teach the children of dozens of other captive wives. After six years they will say you are free to go--an Oprah pick is coming to replace you.

brainstorm77
08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
congrats!

Zefiris
08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Thank's guys & gals :)

She will invite you over to do a reading in Dubai, all expenses paid. When you arrive a limousine will whisk you to a palatial home where you will be married to a sheikh and held prisoner. You will teach the children of dozens of other captive wives. After six years they will say you are free to go--an Oprah pick is coming to replace you.

Change it to the rich, beautiful, Arabian daughter of a Sikh and you've pretty much nailed of my fantasies :)

Little1
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Congrats!!!!

KTC
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Watch out for scams...

I'm kind of with thoth on this one. It sounds like, from your description, that the woman has not yet even read your work???? Why would she want to use it in her curriculum prior to reading it??? Sounds suspicious to me. If not, then congrats! But be careful.