PDA

View Full Version : BBFC cut I Spit On Your Grave remake

seun
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BFF271143

They really don't like rape scenes. Although they cut a hell of a lot more from the original.

eyeblink
08-27-2010, 02:19 AM
They've also cut A Serbian Film, by rather a lot - 3 mins 48. The last cinema release I can think of cut by anywhere near that amount was Ichi the Killer (3 mins 15 cut).

It's worth noting that the MPAA in the USA cut I Spit... for a R rating. Though there will no doubt be an uncut and unrated Blu-ray released over there in due course.

It's not rape scenes as such they have a problem with - after all, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo got past uncut with quite a graphic and prolonged example. They do however have a problem with sexual violence that's eroticised.

It will be interesting to see what other censor boards make of these two films - France is generally notably lenient, while Australia can be strict, to give two examples.

seun
08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I sometimes wonder if they cut films to basically justify their existence. Some of their decisions seem quite random. In any case, it sounds like someone would have to be a determined pervert to get their jollies off to this film.

eyeblink
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Well that's the point - they consider the films (which I haven't seen, by the way) potentially harmful in that disturbed individuals could get off on them. Apart from occasions when distributors cut films to get a lower rating, the BBFC tends only to intervene at adult level if they consider the material particularly harmful, or if a law is breached (child protection laws or animal cruelty laws).

With rape scenes, the type of material they tend to find potentially harmful would be stuff that eroticises the scene - lingering nudity, for example - or that encourages identification with the rapists. Not an issue with Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, so that was passed uncut at 18.

I know people who have had direct dealings with the BBFC, and strange as it may seem they don't LIKE having to cut films if they consider them of merit. Generally I find the majority of BBFC decisions sensible these days, much more so than 10 or more years ago. And certainly more so than the MPAA, whose decisions as to what makes a R-rating as opposed to a NC-17 seem quite arbitrary and often don't take context into account.