PDA

View Full Version : Top Ramen Etiquette

Vito
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
I love Top Ramen, especially the Chili flavor and the bold new Picante Chicken variety. But I've never been able to figure out the protocol for eating this stuff in polite company.

Fork? Spoon? Pick up the bowl and chug it all down in a few gulps? :Shrug:

spamwarrior
08-25-2010, 11:26 PM
However you want!

Vito
08-25-2010, 11:31 PM
However you want!
Hey, I'm lookin' for specifics!

spamwarrior
08-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Hmm. I believe chopsticks would be more authentic.

Shadow_Ferret
08-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm watching my blood pressure. I don't eat it at all.

Vito
08-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Chopsticks...hmm, I think you're right.

Authenticity is a good thing.

Vito
08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm watching my blood pressure. I don't eat it at all.
I always eat the whole bowl in one sitting, because Top Ramen leftovers really suck.

spamwarrior
08-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Have you ever had the green tea flavor? I heard there was a green tea flavor.

Vito
08-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Have you ever had the green tea flavor? I heard there was a green tea flavor.
I've never seen the green tea flavor at the supermarket. I'm not sure if I would like it, because I've never tasted green tea. Maybe I'll give it a try... :Coffee:

spamwarrior
08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
So many ramen flavors, so little time.

Vito
08-26-2010, 12:21 AM
So many ramen flavors, so little time.
:ROFL:

spamwarrior
08-26-2010, 12:23 AM
I myself have only had beef and chicken and shrimp.

CheyElizabeth
08-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I have only ever eaten top ramen among friends. So, I just eat the sloppy, unsexy way I always do..

KTC
08-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I always eat the whole bowl in one sitting, because Top Ramen leftovers really suck.

i never eat the bowl. i eat around the bowl.

Vito
08-26-2010, 01:37 AM
i never eat the bowl. i eat around the bowl.
Eating around the bowl is sloppy and unsexy.

KTC
08-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Eating around the bowl is sloppy and unsexy.

i so go for smexy. i could never pull off sexy.

Sarah Enni
08-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Before you boil the Top Ramen, break the noodles into little chunks. Then it's less slurpy! (Guess what I ate all the time in college? Oriental flavor, despite being vaguely racist, is my favorite.)

Preacher'sWife
08-26-2010, 02:19 AM
I love Top Ramen, especially the Chili flavor and the bold new Picante Chicken variety. But I've never been able to figure out the protocol for eating this stuff in polite company.

This is why, on the eighth day, God invented the SPORK.

DragonShark
08-26-2010, 02:37 AM
I don't think it's possible to eat ramen without slurping, if you're using chopsticks. When I'm around my friends (especially the ones that came from Japanese families more traditional than my very Americanized one) we would slurp away. It was Japanese tradition that to make no noise while eating was considered rude -- the more noise you made, the more "delicious" the food was.

Around my non-Japanese husband, however, I usually use a fork, twirling the noodles around it like spaghetti, and use a large soup spoon to drink the liquid. There are traditional Asian soup spoons available that are deeper than regular spoons, and they work a lot better when you're scooping up the soup.

pdknz
08-26-2010, 09:53 PM

My first thought was that I can't tell you what polilte company would think about this issue.

My second thought was that polite company and Ramen don't belong in the same sentence anyway.

Personally, I crush it in the bag and eat it with a spoon. With Thai peanut sauce if we have any.

cray
08-26-2010, 11:35 PM
boil water.
eat noodles dry.
add flavor packet to boiling water.
stir.
pour boiling water down your throat.
do dishes.

CDaniel
08-27-2010, 02:04 AM
:roll:

Etsi
08-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Chopsticks...but then, I like to collect chopsticks and my daughter will even use them for sauerkraut.

One must for raman: you must crack an egg into it while the water is boiling and whip it with a fork. The egg cooks instantly.

Etsi
08-27-2010, 02:20 AM
I don't think it's possible to eat ramen without slurping, if you're using chopsticks. When I'm around my friends (especially the ones that came from Japanese families more traditional than my very Americanized one) we would slurp away. It was Japanese tradition that to make no noise while eating was considered rude -- the more noise you made, the more "delicious" the food was.

Around my non-Japanese husband, however, I usually use a fork, twirling the noodles around it like spaghetti, and use a large soup spoon to drink the liquid. There are traditional Asian soup spoons available that are deeper than regular spoons, and they work a lot better when you're scooping up the soup.
The PA Dutch not only slurp, they constantly clink their spoons in their bowls and forks on their plates. When they "scrape" their plates clean, they do it very literally.

Vito
08-27-2010, 02:21 AM
OK, I think we've exhausted the topic of Top Ramen etiquette. All possible dimensions have been explored; all that can be said has been said. A big thank-you to all who participated. :)

Tomorrow's topic: Maruchan Ramen Etiquette. Working thread title: "Maruchan Ramen Etiquette".

;)