Top Ramen Etiquette

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I love Top Ramen, especially the Chili flavor and the bold new Picante Chicken variety. But I've never been able to figure out the protocol for eating this stuff in polite company.

Fork? Spoon? Pick up the bowl and chug it all down in a few gulps? :Shrug:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Chopsticks...hmm, I think you're right.

Authenticity is a good thing.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had the green tea flavor? I heard there was a green tea flavor.
I've never seen the green tea flavor at the supermarket. I'm not sure if I would like it, because I've never tasted green tea. Maybe I'll give it a try... :Coffee:

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I have only ever eaten top ramen among friends. So, I just eat the sloppy, unsexy way I always do..

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I always eat the whole bowl in one sitting, because Top Ramen leftovers really suck.

i never eat the bowl. i eat around the bowl.

Sarah Enni

If you squint, I sparkle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahenni.com
Before you boil the Top Ramen, break the noodles into little chunks. Then it's less slurpy! (Guess what I ate all the time in college? Oriental flavor, despite being vaguely racist, is my favorite.)

Preacher'sWife

Crack that WIP!
Registered
Reaction score
in my own little corner, in my own little chair
I love Top Ramen, especially the Chili flavor and the bold new Picante Chicken variety. But I've never been able to figure out the protocol for eating this stuff in polite company.

This is why, on the eighth day, God invented the SPORK.

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to eat ramen without slurping, if you're using chopsticks. When I'm around my friends (especially the ones that came from Japanese families more traditional than my very Americanized one) we would slurp away. It was Japanese tradition that to make no noise while eating was considered rude -- the more noise you made, the more "delicious" the food was.

Around my non-Japanese husband, however, I usually use a fork, twirling the noodles around it like spaghetti, and use a large soup spoon to drink the liquid. There are traditional Asian soup spoons available that are deeper than regular spoons, and they work a lot better when you're scooping up the soup.

pdknz

Having way too much fun
Registered
Reaction score

My first thought was that I can't tell you what polilte company would think about this issue.

My second thought was that polite company and Ramen don't belong in the same sentence anyway.

Personally, I crush it in the bag and eat it with a spoon. With Thai peanut sauce if we have any.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
boil water.
eat noodles dry.
add flavor packet to boiling water.
stir.
pour boiling water down your throat.
do dishes.

Etsi

Registered
Reaction score
Chopsticks...but then, I like to collect chopsticks and my daughter will even use them for sauerkraut.

One must for raman: you must crack an egg into it while the water is boiling and whip it with a fork. The egg cooks instantly.

Etsi

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to eat ramen without slurping, if you're using chopsticks. When I'm around my friends (especially the ones that came from Japanese families more traditional than my very Americanized one) we would slurp away. It was Japanese tradition that to make no noise while eating was considered rude -- the more noise you made, the more "delicious" the food was.

Around my non-Japanese husband, however, I usually use a fork, twirling the noodles around it like spaghetti, and use a large soup spoon to drink the liquid. There are traditional Asian soup spoons available that are deeper than regular spoons, and they work a lot better when you're scooping up the soup.
The PA Dutch not only slurp, they constantly clink their spoons in their bowls and forks on their plates. When they "scrape" their plates clean, they do it very literally.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I think we've exhausted the topic of Top Ramen etiquette. All possible dimensions have been explored; all that can be said has been said. A big thank-you to all who participated. :)

Tomorrow's topic: Maruchan Ramen Etiquette. Working thread title: "Maruchan Ramen Etiquette".

;)